Bluetooth SIG Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Challenging and rewarding environment"

Current Employee - Director in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Director in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Bluetooth SIG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The SIG is in growth mode and maturing at an expected pace. Leadership is open to feedback and ideas. The work is challenging and people are great.

Cons

Things can move at a slower pace than I desire.

Advice to Management

More visibility to staff.

2. "Bluetooth SIG is dedicated to its staff"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Bluetooth SIG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Diverse, collaboratory environment that nurtures transparency
     - Executive team is friendly and approachable
     - Managers sympathetic to work-life balance
     - Opportunities for advancement and contribution into different teams
     - Extremely bright group of dedicated professionals
     - Firm system of values that praise integrity, respect, and humility over the bottom line
     - Excellent healthcare benefits

Cons

- Lots of meetings
     - Internal tool development inertia
     - Some miscommunication ("game of telephone") between Board, Executives, and Teams

"Not a great place for growth"

Former Employee - Director in Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Director in Kirkland, WA

I worked at Bluetooth SIG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Loads of money comes in from member companies each year in membership fees
    Member companies are smart people, so good to engage with them

Cons

No vision from execdirector
    No good way to advance career beyond flipping job titles
    Add 15% to any travel estimate in job description

Advice to Management

Grow a set & spend money to improve things

5. "Growth opportunities, CEO who cares, accountability"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Bluetooth SIG full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of great, passionate people, that genuinely care about your success, opportunities to further your career, mentors available. Team building events, happy hours, in office yoga (employee paid, but reasonably priced), quarterly employee appreciation lunches, and 'healthy living' challenges encourage cross-team relationship building, but are not required.

Good location, rough commute at times, but beautiful views, some food within walking distance, and plenty within a less than 10 minute drive, plus Peach or other delivery options.

Growth opportunities are available to motivated people, if they are willing to take advantage of them.

Reviews performed twice a year, you should always know where you stand on your team, and really I've heard many, including my own manager, say that if what you hear on your review is a surprise than your manager is not doing their job.

Additionally the company sends out an employee survey (anonymous responses) at the end of every year and actively works on the items identified by employees towards improvements.

The executives do care about the employees, and do listen, they value work life balance, and do not hold others to unbelievable standards.

Cons

Again, the commute can be rough at times, but hours are flexible.

Some of the lower - mid-level management has trouble with accountability, and tend to do more dictating and CYA than guiding or listening.

There is gossip and rumor, as is probably common at most companies, but the company is not afraid to let go of toxic employees that bully others, which is a relief, and when those people are let go, rumors are bound to happen, especially when the company does not comment on the reason for letting someone go (out of respect generally).

And, as with most things in life, if all you want to do is sit back and wait for things to fall in your lap you will not be successful here. Yes, guidance is offered, if you take it, opportunities are there, if you're motivated (and apply), mistakes are ok, if you own up to them, and work is looked at critically - you might be asked to make changes, must be willing to communicate, and collaborate with others. If you can't handle being transparent - you won't succeed here.

Advice to Management

More accountability training for all employees
    Regular management training
    Maybe conflict management training

"Internally disorganized with untrained managers"

Pros

Working with new technology. Nice location aside Lake Washington in Kirkland, WA. Reasonably flexible work hours. Company paid parking in the building garage.

Cons

Managers were not given any training in how to manage. Performance review schedule was too frequent and criteria was inflexible.

Advice to Management

Implement a one over one review process.

7. "use this place to look for something better"

I have been working at Bluetooth SIG full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

its laid back here u dont much for many months when starting
    good place to work to do a side job and interview for real job
    no background check
    no drug test
    no employment check
    no education check
    put Bluetooth the name on resume and recruiter will email call
    come in late

Cons

exec director is disaster
    not making money just cutting
    treated like contractor
    when u want to get somebody fired spread rumor about them
    many people fired
    many worker drunk in afternoon
    most people looking for other job while here
    I feel like robot
    no trust key logger software used

Advice to Management

fire exec director and his staff they are worthless
    what are you hiding
    treat people better

"Beware"

Former Employee - Non-management Technical in Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Non-management Technical in Kirkland, WA

I worked at Bluetooth SIG full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting technology and membership. Plentiful parties, good location.

Cons

Favoritism determines hiring and promotion more than willingness to contribute. Outdated internal technologies compared to what the SIG is promoting.

Advice to Management

Listen to ideas of the employees, stop letting the old-timers set the environment of cronyism.

"Sad to see the SIG so, so broken"

I have been working at Bluetooth SIG full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers (though they won't be around long)
    Good health insurance
    Great work/life balance
    Somewhat flexible hours
    Great members (who will be around for a long time)
    Many challenges (you won't get bored)
    The SIG is very financially stable, now and in the future

Cons

Besides salaries well below industry norms...

I love the SIG and it kills me to see how very, very broken it's become. People are let go on such a regular basis that the staff is in a permanent state of numbness and shuffle. There's a constant cast of new employees ramping-up. Will you be let go next? There's just no way to know. Sure, you can be fired on merit, but far more common are coworkers who just disappear one day for no apparent reason. Some are star employees whose performance is unimpeachable. What happened? Management doesn't even bother to tell employees when someone is let go. You find out through the grapevine, or via an auto-reply to an email. Morale sinks, then sinks again, then again. Ever present are the rumors that so-and-so is looking for a new job, interviewing, considering an offer, leaving. Then you go a few weeks with no bloodletting and start feeling like things are stabilizing...then it happens again. And again. No rhyme, no reason, no communication from management.
    I'm still here and honestly would like to stay. I want it to get better. I want to help! I want to believe again. But I've got people at home counting on me financially, so I've got a decision to make: Do I stay and risk an out-of-the-blue exit with a period of unemployment, or do I leave now on my own terms and take care of my people?

Advice to Management

To the Executive team: If you must perpetually cut loose the people I'm counting on to get stuff done, please, please, please, watch a YouTube video on how to do it. I'm sorry, but when it comes to culling the herd you're unthinkably disconnected. You come-off as heartless assassins as the rumor mill goes wild, morale tanks, everybody is distracted and nobody feels secure.

To the Board of Directors: Sadly, your executive team is WASTING MEMBERS' MONEY! The unnecessary revolving door of SIG staff is burning piles of money and killing productivity. A new employee doesn't earn their salary for 6 months, and the SIG is constantly filled with new employees who are back-filling inexplicable, unnecessary vacancies.

"Pretty good place to work."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Bluetooth SIG full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good location, fun technology, great people to work with

Cons

Not a lot of food option within walking distance

"The worst place to work with so much potential. I would avoid."

Former Employee - Membership in Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Membership in Kirkland, WA

I worked at Bluetooth SIG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bluetooth is an exciting and transformational technology. The members and products being built with Bluetooth are and will continue to make a positive impact on the world, which makes the potential of working at Bluetooth SIG very enticing.

The working groups are doing very interesting work that will change the IoT positively over the coming year.

The benefits are decent including healthcare, 401k and vacation.

There are a lot of very nice employees. There is a willingness among employees to reach beyond their typical job duties to ensure success across teams.

Cons

The leadership team is by far the worst I've worked for. There is no transparency and no trust given to employees in the organization.

Silos are encouraged and outdated practices and tools are rampant across the entire organization. When tools don't work (both internal and external), there's a lot of finger pointing but no responsibility taken by management to provide budget and resources necessary to actually change things. everyone at the organization is doing the job of 2-3 people but no one is given the grace of realistic timelines or budgets. So no real impactful work is ever completed.

People are running in different directions depending on the whim of the board. Saying no is never an option. There's a lot of strain between the working groups and sig staff.

All of this leads to talented staff leaving to find a job where they'll be treated well and can put their talents to use. It also leaves behind the staff who has been around forever who perpetuate the same, outdated and ineffective practices.

This place is a disaster. It's a real shame.

Advice to Management

If you really want Bluetooth to be seen as innovative it's time to completely overhaul your exec team. Being in true tech professionals who can turn that place around.