Bluewolf Reviews | Glassdoor

Bluewolf Reviews

Updated October 24, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Tough to maintain work life balance (in 17 reviews)

• Growing pains to be expected from a rapidly expanding company (in 17 reviews)

"Mostly negative"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Bluewolf (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the people are cool, most of the office is young so it's easy to make friends with your co-workers.

Cons

The company seems to only hire people who are related to current employees. As a result a lot of people in the office don't know what they're doing. Management is shady and untrustworthy; promotion is based on office politics and who's well-liked/tows the company line. Extremely high turnover rate. The positive reviews on this site are fake.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring your friends and treat your employees like they're worth something.

"Average"

Pros

Culture is the one of best word to explain the company..

Cons

Work Experience/training was not so good from this company.

"Great starting opportunity, severely lacks in employee satisfaction after a year."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Bluewolf full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I received great training and experience on a number of platforms, and learned a great deal. If you could make a good business case for it, then you can get the training. I loved the people who were my peers, and you learn so much each other and get a great sense for this kind of work. You're constantly challenged, and no day was the same, which was important to me.

Cons

While I understand that with a company growing as fast as Bluewolf there are bound to be growing pains, there were a lot of glaring issues that made my decision for me. I left because they convey the message that they don't care about their employees, and upper management was severely out of touch with the rest of the company. On the surface there is a lot of positivity and incentive to stay, but after two years your salary is far from what industry standard is, and they just stop caring unless you play the game and are disingenuous or work yourself to death. Internal communication is poor, if at all present. Some teams are put on a pedestal, while others are left to their own devices and suffer. In the 2+ years I was there, processes for submitting time sheets, feedback, and expenses changed a ton so there was no cohesive process.

Advice to Management

Give your 'older' (2+ years) employees an actual incentive to stay. Improve communication amongst teams and look at the whole picture.

"Don't get comfortable here and ignore the blatantly fake 5 star reviews..."

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Bluewolf full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-work/life balance is awesome
    -culture within each class/rank is good
    -open environment so you can learn quite a lot about the Salesforce ecosystem
    -very transparent (sometimes too much)
    -world class marketing team

Cons

-culture across the ranks pretty much nonexistent, can even be condescending sometimes
    -benefits are sub par even for a non-tech company
    -many here still don't even know what Salesforce's strategy is, so why did we even hire such people? they clearly don't care enough about what we do.
    -international strategy isn't very clear and it seems like we've only acquired companies to show that we're "international."
    -some people are worked projects after projects while some people coast through without much experience. I happen to be the former and I surely knew a guy who was smarter and asked for projects that basically wasn't assigned anything. The person left not too long after this went on for months.

Advice to Management

Rather than spending effort trying to sell/market culture internally, make it worth talking about already. A lot of feedback loops have been initiated without any measurement of success and it has become more of a process getting in our way of consulting projects. Also, don't tell your employees to write good reviews on glassdoor to try and boost ratings. It should be an accurate reflection of the company and not a way to manipulate people into joining the company.

Let disruptive employees take charge in leading projects to bring success. The hierarchy in place is rigid and the so called "create your own path" comes with a condition: "wait until it's your turn."

Jul 1, 2014 – Head of Recruiting

Thank you for taking the time to review Bluewolf. We have never asked employees to write positive reviews, only honest ones like the one you shared. We do not advertise ourselves to be the perfect... More

"Smart People, Poor Pay, Broken Promises"

I have been working at Bluewolf full-time

Pros

Work with some incredibly bright individuals and are exposed to situation through which you can learn a lot

Cons

Uncompetitive pay, lots of talent lost to top tier, poor accountability

Advice to Management

Improve compensation so as to ensure talent isn't lost to top tier firms

"Great place to start a career in SF. Not so Great if you want to continue your career."

Current Employee - Senior Developer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at Bluewolf full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture.
    A strong and talented technical team.

Cons

1) There is a lack of Management. Lot of good resources and talented people within the company. But the internal process is broken in places.
    2) No clear career path for experienced professionals.
    3) Sales oriented company. No appreciation for developer efforts or behind the screen workers.
    4) Below market pay.
    5) Team keeps changing drastically.Too many farewell notes and welcome notes sent out each week.
    6) Bleeding talent. We loose a lot of smart people because of lackluster management.

Advice to Management

Stop looking at numbers to judge company's performance.
    Look at employee satisfaction as a criteria for judging company performance.

May 9, 2014 – Head of Recruiting

Thank you for your feedback. Insights like yours help us to make the changes necessary to create an amazing place to work.

"Entrepreneurial and Unorganized"

I have been working at Bluewolf full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very young company, so there were a lot of people to meet and relate to.

Cons

Extremely disorganized and very cheap. Minimal additional benefits and difficult to really get what you need done. Limited resources and you can get paid better practically anywhere else.

Advice to Management

Pay more

May 9, 2014 – Head of Recruiting

Thank you for your feedback. Glad to see you met great people and feel part of our strong culture. We have recently revamped our benefits to address the needs of our employees. At bluewolf our... More

"One career path, below market pay, good for beginners"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Bluewolf full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Can get experience quickly and will be thrown into the deep end right away.If you are a new college graduate hungry for experience, you will have no trouble getting in

Cons

You are a lone wolf here. If you are lucky - your manager takes initiative in your development, but professional development is just a facade and has no direct correlation with your career progression.

Don't expect to get training here either. If you work well in situations where you need to figure things yourself and train yourself at any point of the way - this is the place for you.

Management does not care about the employees. Lately there was an employee engagement initiative and everyone I knew was just rolling their eyes at how ironic that was since this could not be further from reality. The util goals keep increasing, leaving next to no time for any development or non billable activities. More and more responsibilities are being put on managers, leaving them with no real time to properly manage their teams and leaving their team members on their own.

Promotions are arbitrary. You can have a stellar performance review and the two layers up manager's recommendation for promotion yet it is at a whim of executive management to grant it to you. Why bother with performance reviews then?

The pay is way below the market average. This was a trade off that you used to make coming here and in return you would get lots of freedom in many areas. This has been changing and more and more rules and regulations are put in place that restrict what used to be a big selling point of this company.

Bleeding talent. Every week you see the farewell notes being sent, these have become much more frequent so that we almost have a recurring weekly farewell gathering for someone new who decided to jump the ship.This affects a) team morale b) success of the projects you are staffed on c) prospect of learning from each other, if you end up the only person that knows the most in your team.

You will hear that you can make your path here yet in reality you only have one path, at least in Consulting: BA > Consultant> PM > Sales. Anything outside of this path is not accepted and not seen as a value. If this is your path in mind - this is a place for you.

Broken systems in place. Getting support around the systems you are working on internally, whether it is logging your time or finding out your readiness towards the goal is a challenge. Not because there are no resources but because the management does not pay attention to maintaining the internal systems nor properly implementing them in the first place. Ironic considering we consult the clients on best practices that we don't have ourselves.

Advice to Management

Wonder if the management will ever realize that you actually have to walk the talk to make impact in the employee engagement area and just the internal campaign that claims to improve the employee morale won't do much if you actually don't invest in your people.

"only good if you are a new grad or someone looking for experience"

Former Employee - Developer
    Former Employee - Developer

I worked at Bluewolf full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Note: This is a review for the Beyond consulting practice.

The people are all very friendly and the office culture is great. Very collaborative atmosphere - pair programming, code reviews, weekly retrospectives, agile development process. I had a lot of fun working there.

Cons

While the company seems good at finding new talent, it is having a hard time retaining them.

This is due to several reasons:
    1. very low pay.
    2. too sales oriented (annual awards banquet is all about who sold the most, dev work is just an afterthought)
    3. util targets (monthly quota of billable hours).
    4. not enough senior devs to mentor younger ones.
    5. the remaining senior devs are not experienced enough.
    6. Salesforce all the time. no exposure to other tech stacks so there is a danger of pigeon-holing your technical skill set.
    7. general feel of the company is disorganized.
    8. deployments usually occur after hours. if you're the lead dev of a project, expect to be working late into the night and some weekends.

Advice to Management

if you want to retain your employees, you need to pay them market rate. otherwise, you'll simply continue seeing the parade of people walking out the door month after month.

"Autocratic Amateurs and Internal Politics at a high school level of maturity"

Current Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bluewolf full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong focus on teamwork and consensus (usually at the cost of execution)

Cons

very amateurish younger and inexperienced work force. Lack of internal processes

Advice to Management

you're not a start up; stop passing out the cool aid and bring in experienced management professionals