Blum Shapiro Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Senior Accountant"

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Blum Shapiro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work environment, flexible work schedule if needed, provides exposure and training across multiple industries.

Cons

Long hours during tax season and Human Resources located in CT office only

Advice to Management

Should encourage a better work life balance and improve employee benefits

2. "Audit Staff"

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Blum Shapiro full-time

Pros

The company wants to see you succeed. They go above and beyond to make sure you are satisfied with your position and are always willing to listen to any issues that arise.

Cons

Busy season is hard, there is no question about it. You are expected to work long hours, which some may see as a con. However, that is the business of public accounting.

Advice to Management

I would love to see more events throughout the year that bring the entire firm together.

3. "junior accountant"

Current Employee - Junior Accountant in Shelton, CT
    Current Employee - Junior Accountant in Shelton, CT

Pros

People want to help you. Great place to start/ get your feet wet.

Cons

Give some more work. I have too much time on my hands

Advice to Management

Good job with the on-boarding process.

5. "Great firm"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wethersfield, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wethersfield, CT

I have been working at Blum Shapiro full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexibility, trust from leadership, good people, ability to work independently and on teams. When you address a concern it's taken care of pretty quickly.

Cons

No real cons, it's obvious the firm really cares about its employees so any issues come from the type of work/industry we're in.

Advice to Management

Keep putting the employees first, keep communicating

"Stodgy Culture with Focus on Bottom Line"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Hartford, CT

I worked at Blum Shapiro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Health insurance was good at the time.
    Some partners and managers are excellent to work with; smart, collaborative, and want to help you succeed.
    In consulting, exposure to a wide array of industries and interaction with all levels of staff internal to Blum and at client sites.
    My team did not have a consistent, repeatable approach for some consulting engagements, so we were given somewhat free reign to shape the approach.
    Many high energy, friendly and experienced talent working in staff and senior positions.
    Periodic business unit meetings to discuss strategy, results and planning.
    CFO consistently shared financial results with the company.
    The actual work in consulting was often enjoyable.

Cons

Partners establish and maintain their own books of business and the pressure to meet or exceed quarterly profit forecasts cascades from the partner down to their staff.
    Some partners and managers were not empathetic with their staff, as though the privileged could not understand or relate to the grunt workers.
    Inconsistent top-down training, employee relations and communication.
    Your experience may vary depending on the management you end up with. Some managers and partners do not communicate well to the point of being inappropriate. One partner trained me on the fly in between emails, while another partner used a more collaborative closed-loop approach that I preferred.
    Overnight travel was occasionally required, which was tough with a family.
    The culture is generally cold just like the West Hartford office, as there is not a lot of open floor communication or activities. Events are sparse and the few events they do hold are after hours. I felt a sense of relief when I left for lunch.
    To advance, staff are expected to attend networking events outside of work hours to drum up more business for Blum.
    Little to no work/life balance. Working remotely was implied to only be acceptable when the weather was bad. Some engagements lasted days with travel, and there was no expectation on being able to recoup that personal time.

Advice to Management

Stop making the bottom line the primary focus and implement a holistic approach to operations and apply that approach consistently across all business units.
    Realize your staff are people and they are by far your most important asset, so treat them like humans and not vehicles through which to gain more revenue. Revenue gains will come organically through your staff if you make them your primary focus.
    Devise a consistent, repeatable approach for training across all business units, then document it, disseminate it, use it, enforce it, and review it. Management must at least be proactively guiding staff, communicating with and collaborating with their staff on engagements.
    Erase the stodgy culture by encouraging open communication on the floor, host more events in the office during regular business hours, knock down a few cubicle walls.

7. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Newton, MA

I have been working at Blum Shapiro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is support and encouragement to grow business.

Cons

Head quarters is located in West Hartford, CT, and often times MA and RI offices don't get their due respect

8. "Difficult now but lots of potential"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Quincy, MA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Quincy, MA

I worked at Blum Shapiro full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Enthusiastic young managers who want to make the firm a success.

Cons

No recycling. Unhelpful onboarding. No local HR presence.

Advice to Management

Invest in administrative support staff, human resources, and marketing staff in Massachusetts.

9. "LOVE BlumShapiro"

Former Employee - Tax Processor in West Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Tax Processor in West Hartford, CT

I worked at Blum Shapiro part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I absolutely ADORED my time at BlumShapiro. I've worked for two of their tax seasons as a Part-time processor and it's been one of my best job experiences of all time. The people are so incredibly helpful and friendly. The office is large, but neatly organized. And this seems silly to say, but there's SO much food there. There's four different kitchens around the place, and they're always stocked with coffee and fresh food. It's kind of great.

Cons

The work itself can get a bit repetitive, but it's not really a huge con, because the environment makes it fun and exciting.

Advice to Management

Love everything that you guys do. I like that the office is so friendly and the managers are very open and enthusiastic about everything. Keep doing what you do!

"A Learning Experience"

Current Employee - Audit Staff in West Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Audit Staff in West Hartford, CT

I have been working at Blum Shapiro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great opprotunities for learning, good structure for advancement if you pass the cpa exam and good feedback on a regular basis. Given alot of responsibility quickly. Can advance quickly if you are willing to work hard.

Cons

The work life balance is rough, but this is true with any public firm. From what i hear, switching firms means the same amount of hours even though they may promise

"Could be worse, But could be much better as well..."

Current Employee - Staff/Senior Audit in West Hartland, CT
    Current Employee - Staff/Senior Audit in West Hartland, CT

I have been working at Blum Shapiro full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

"Flexible hours" during down periods (which in recent times has been shrinking... see "3 busy seasons" E-Mail from HR and leadership... ) which allows you to play around with your work schedule if something were to come up and you needed to leave early or take a day off. The ability to work from home is always a plus. Great core of young people all starting out with you, experiencing similar things in the industry/life/cpa status etc.

Cons

Good Employees are worked to the bone. Leaving the best talent burnt out, frustrated, and disgruntled.

The work from home ability is sometimes taken too far, as some managers have unreal expectations on employees working after normal business hours/weekend. Direct quote from a manager when a senior mentioned they were concerned about the amount of work on their plates and respective deadlines- "Well you know there is always time between 8 PM and 6 AM" . Work life balance does not exist at times.

HR is much more reactive then proactive when it comes to salary and current prevailing wage rates for public accountants. In the time I was there, there were a few mini-scandals related to salaries that caused havoc for the company.

For the pressure put on the employees from management regarding obtaining the CPA (major part of every semi-annual performance review) , Blum is not competitive what so ever in terms of rewarding employees for accomplishing this goal. While I understand they are not "Big 4" -which gives rewards of $5k bonuses and an extra weeks vacation for successfully passing all 4 parts of the CPA exam, as the largest CPA firm in the New England area, they should do a little better than a $100 bottle of champagne (which they tax you on by the way) and a day off. Not to mention there is no pay bump for a senior who becomes a CPA either. Meaning Senior CPAs at Blum could be making as little as $55k a year... I'd assume the fair market value of CPAs would be much greater...

Advice to Management

Stay competitive with salary, and better monitor your employees work schedules/hours or you will most definitely loose your top people.