Boart Longyear Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Richard O'Brien

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good pay, great people and coworkers (in 10 reviews)

• Good people, things get usually quickly done (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Tough work life balance, a lot of travel in some jobs (in 4 reviews)

• Now it's in a critical situation for the crisis in the mining industry (in 5 reviews)

"Nice place to work, but layoffs are routine"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Boart Longyear full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked for Boart Longyear for about four years in total, and generally enjoyed my experience there. My co-workers were bright and pleasant to work with, the workload was reasonable, I found the work to be interesting and rewarding, and I learned a lot.

Cons

When I started at Boart in 2010 the company was in decent financial condition; there was a very comfortable and well-decorated corporate office, much better training, better opportunities for advancement, and generally many more positives than there are today. Risky business decisions by prior executives coupled with a severe downturn in the mining industry have decimated the business. Job security is a real issue at Boart these days, and layoffs are very commonplace. I felt I had built a good reputation at the company, but was let go one day with no prior warning (no notice of an upcoming layoff, no performance improvement plan or other indication that my performance was sub-par, etc.). The risk is real, but the company is otherwise a great place to work.

Advice to Management

It's hard to provide useful advice given the circumstances. Ideally Boart would be able to right the wrongs committed by prior executives, pay down debt, and stabilize the business. The most critical advice I can give would be to recognize favorable market cycles as an opportunity to shore up the business so it can survive the inevitable downturns. (If the company makes it to the next favorable cycle.)

2. "Drilling"

Current Employee - Driller Helper in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Driller Helper in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

Lots of overtime and you can move up quickly

Cons

Low base hourly pay high turnover rate

3. "Beware! A risky place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Boart Longyear full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked with some of the brightest, motivated people in my career. Great, high quality products. Good pay.

Cons

Most of the good people are gone. Company is not diverse enough, management made decision in 2010 to dissolve all diversity that was in their portfolio and put all their eggs in the Mineral Exploration basket. Market woes continue and they are vulnerable. Seemed like we were always chasing our tail, with no good direction from revolving management. Huge layoffs were, and continue to be the norm.

Advice to Management

May be too late for advice.

4. "Poor money management and unkept promises"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Boart Longyear full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People I worked with made it worth going in everyday

Cons

Made too many promises not kept. Laid off thee quarters of the work force and still declining. Borrowing money they dont have

Advice to Management

Just sell the company. Quit making promises to employees. Also, pay your vendors, don't hold out at the end of the year so your books look better

5. "Interesting company in a challenging industry"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Boart Longyear full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A lot of very smart and dedicated people. Great opportunities to interact with colleagues across the world.

Cons

Leadership turnover is high and the industry seems to always be in a state of chaos. Seemed like we were always in the process of changing plans.

Advice to Management

Create a clear, realistic vision for the team. Create a sense of stability and safety for key players on the team. Be more open about challenges.

6. "Mechanic"

Former Employee - Field Mechanic in Spring Creek, NV
    Former Employee - Field Mechanic in Spring Creek, NV

I worked at Boart Longyear full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay was ok. And a few ok guys.

Cons

Everyone seem to be stuck with the very bad habits and will not think safety first or at all. Don't even know dot regulations. And when they hire you and they know ur knowledge of the drills is not the best they still treat you like crap. And when they offer you stuff they don't give it to you.

Advice to Management

They need to see what's going on!

7. "Finance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Boart Longyear full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work environment, autonomy, reasonable expectations, and opportunities to suggest areas of improvement. The fellow employees are both friendly and professional. Strong work ethic.

Cons

In practice, they heavily favor external hiring over internal promotion and wage increases. Employees have not had raises in many years.

Advice to Management

Value your current employees and provide clear direction how they can move up in the company.

8. "Quick Sand"

Current Employee - Supply Chain Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Boart Longyear full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very relaxed work environment and international exposure. A large company that feels small.

Cons

Because of poor financial performance, your fate is always uncertain. If you just relax its not so bad. If you worry too much you'll sink faster.

Advice to Management

No complaints right now. They are recovering from some really bad management which takes time. They are promising things will get better, and I'll be if things are getting better. Slowly but surely.

9. "Hard work, no life"

Former Employee - Driller in Winnemucca, NV
    Former Employee - Driller in Winnemucca, NV

I worked at Boart Longyear full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

decent pay, entry level opportunities, free work gear, good training, takes safety seriously.

Cons

work like a dog, supervisors are callous, no work life balance, insane shift schedules(21 days on - 4 days off), low pay for entry level workers, hostile work environments.

10. "manager"

Former Employee - Compliance Logistics in West Jordan, UT
    Former Employee - Compliance Logistics in West Jordan, UT

I worked at Boart Longyear (More than a year)

Pros

nothing to say there was a great feeling with co workers, Boart bought birthday cakes and tried to support on another

Cons

company has constant layoffs in Dec 300 staff were let go there was a constant feeling of coming to work and your desk would be packed and you would be escorted out.

Advice to Management

no a hiring freeze