Boat US (Boat Owners Association of The United States) Reviews in Alexandria, VA | Glassdoor

Boat US (Boat Owners Association of The United States) Alexandria Reviews

Updated May 23, 2017

Alexandria, VA

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kirk La

1. "A company in change"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Boat US (Boat Owners Association of The United States) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

When I worked there the company had a bit of feel of being a friendly backwater.
    But that was a big plus. Everyone was always really friendly.
    Benefits were OK. Probably on a par with most places. My boss was pretty flexible with working from home/time off, once you showed you were good at getting the work done. Like anywhere it really depends on what dept. you're in, or who you report to.

Cons

Again, depending on your dept. there wasn't much room to move up, or even to expand your current position to make it more interesting. That was why I ultimately left.

Advice to Management

Lead! Take action, any action and people will follow you.

2. "Its a Great Place to get your career started"

Current Employee - Assistant Claims Adjuster II in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Assistant Claims Adjuster II in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Boat US (Boat Owners Association of The United States) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The staff and management are very friendly and always ready to help; they promote you every 6 months if you are doing well; nice team environment

Cons

The pay is low in comparison to other companies; it is a tad bit micromanaged

Advice to Management

If they could offer more competitive pay, that would be great.

3. "Wouldn't Reccomend"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Pros

The people at BoatUS are some of the sweetest, kindest and hard-working people you'll ever meet. The CEO is extremely humble and approachable and unlike any other CEO's I've had before.

Cons

Poor management. The managers are not trained to be proper managers. They do not demonstrate professionalism and even creates a toxic atmosphere for their employees. The rules/regulations of this company are designed for inmates who live in jail. Not actual decent people who are trying to propel the company forward and make a living. I read about this company treating people like robots before I started, and boy were they right.
    There is a lack of flexibility here, a lack of care for the wellbeing of their employee's health (mental and physical). Ridiculous policies and you barely accrue any vacation time. There is a high turnover for a reason. That is all I will say to those looking to work here. Also compensation is not competitive AT ALL. And they recruit you with a "we'll give you a raise within 6 months" pitch, only to make it impossible to recieve (even if you're hitting your goals).

Advice to Management

Please be properly trained. Please be professional and provide mentorship and actual training to your employees. A manager isn't just someone who tells you what to do, it should be a person who is accommodating, hears you out, *helps* you reach your goals and urges the company to provide you with the proper resources necessary to get your job done.

5. "Towing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Boat US (Boat Owners Association of The United States) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits are awesome. The pay is good.

Cons

Management are shady. Even after meeting your goals, its not enough. Before the new CEO, it was a "good ole boys" work place. They are revamping that structure slowy, and are starting to promote based on job performance, except in towing

6. "Growing Rapidly"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Boat US (Boat Owners Association of The United States) (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have worked at BoatU.S. for many years and while their have been some "growing pains" since BoatU.S. became part of GEICO, it's clear that we are headed in the right direction. There are a lot of opportunities to work hard, prove yourself and move up within the organization.

Cons

It's been challenging with all the changes that are being made. Some employees are having trouble adjusting to the new way of doing things and having their performance measured.

Advice to Management

Keep communicating to employees

7. "Great Company!! Less than competitive pay..."

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Boat US (Boat Owners Association of The United States) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Boat U.S. recently merged with GEICO and became GEICO Marine Insurance Company. Since the merger, the benefits package has gotten better. Pay has increased, but so has the call/claims volume. A licensing training was recently implemented with great results. The Claims department is like a tight-nit family; management is understanding and genuinely want us to succeed. While salary increased with the merger, it is still less than what one would make at another larger insurance company.

Cons

Pay is less than competitive. Since GEICO took over, a lot more micro management, i.e: They actually listen to your calls in progress, they can even see your screen while taking a call.

Advice to Management

None, management is great

"Culture Shift"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Boat US (Boat Owners Association of The United States) (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, relaxed atmosphere, business casual dress, free parking, great health benefits and onsite deli.

Cons

Management assumed by GEICO creating significant shift in culture, workload and expectations for growth. Constant meetings with little definitive action. Pace of change creating errors and impacting customer service. Low pay in general.

Advice to Management

Let the dust settle before adding new initiatives on top of the changes already taking place.

"What a joke!!"

Former Employee - Towing Dispatcher in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Towing Dispatcher in Alexandria, VA

Pros

Co-workers were great and the Cafe' a nice perk

Cons

This place has no clue how to treat it's employees!! Supervisors treat people like garbage and contradict not only what they tell employees to do but each other! Everything you do is monitored and scrutinized, they call it 'coaching' but in reality it's just belittling, demoralizing and nit picking. They say it's all about customer service but as a consumer I would be appalled to be rushed off the phone in 6 min because the poor dispatcher I'm talking to is treated like a robot that must preform accordingly when I'm distress, my boat is broken and I need help just so they can make their CMR's for the month. This place needs to be torn down and rebuilt from the ground up and I am not talking about the brick and mortar part of the company.

Advice to Management

Get a clue on how to treat your employees and customers! Your idea of 'customer service' is a complete joke and your towing supervisors even more so.

"A growing company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Pros

* Friendly working env
    * Diversification
    * Good benefits: matching 401k, health and dental (full time only), bonus eoy
    * free parking
    * cafeteria right inside the company

Cons

* low pay
    * no dental for part time employee

"not a software company."

Former Employee - Web Developer in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Boat US (Boat Owners Association of The United States) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

nice people.
    no stress.
    good work-life balance.

Cons

no growth.
    no challenge.
    decade old technologies used.

Advice to Management

need to adapt new technologies or else they are going to loose talent and get stuck with non ambitious people.