Boat US (Boat Owners Association of The United States) Reviews | Glassdoor

Kirk La

1. "Great people!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Boat US (Boat Owners Association of The United States) full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits and profit sharing. You won't find better people to work with anywhere! Accelerated growth rate once taken over by GEICO. We've been through many changes in a short period of time. Heavy on metrics and call quality, was tough at first but you can't argue with success or sales incentives! I've read the other complaints about monitoring calls and watching your production. The goals are challenging but attainable. Managers listen to new ideas and want everyone to succeed. This company is truly invested in developing employees. A lot of growth opportunities as we continue to be more successful. I've experienced the old way of doing business and the new way. The new way has had some growing pains but in only a year I've seen positive changes. I'll be here until I retire!

Cons

The systems we work in are challenging and slow to make improvements. The pay is probably better elsewhere, but sales incentives and profit sharing can be pretty nice. The office is in an old warehouse and some areas are freezing, while others are roasting. Busy season is pretty intense.

Advice to Management

explain why we need to do certain things before making a change.

2. "Good for entry level"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Boat US (Boat Owners Association of The United States) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good for those just getting started in their careers. Free parking and relatively close to both Metro and bus stops. Nice cafeteria on-site. There are a fair number of good career opportunities and different opportunities that arise due to the overall high level of turnover.

Cons

Pay is horrible. There is a new focus for management every month or two which results in lots of unfinished projects and being pulled in all directions at once. The system used for almost everything is horrible and negatively impacts people's work. Even in non-tracked positions/those with fewer metrics, you don't have much flexibility and you're still subject to a lot of rigid policies. Some managers and even senior managers are incompetent at best, and malicious at worst. And it's really hard to accrue much vacation or sick time.

Advice to Management

If you're going to underpay people, at least give them more vacation to make up for it. And look at doing a top-down complete reorg of the company because there have been so many resignations lately that some people are reporting to managers who are a bad fit or don't know much about what their teams are actually doing.

3. "Its a Great Place to get your career started"

Current Employee - Assistant Claims Adjuster II in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Assistant Claims Adjuster II in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Boat US (Boat Owners Association of The United States) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The staff and management are very friendly and always ready to help; they promote you every 6 months if you are doing well; nice team environment

Cons

The pay is low in comparison to other companies; it is a tad bit micromanaged

Advice to Management

If they could offer more competitive pay, that would be great.

"Wouldn't Reccomend"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Pros

The people at BoatUS are some of the sweetest, kindest and hard-working people you'll ever meet. The CEO is extremely humble and approachable and unlike any other CEO's I've had before.

Cons

Poor management. The managers are not trained to be proper managers. They do not demonstrate professionalism and even creates a toxic atmosphere for their employees. The rules/regulations of this company are designed for inmates who live in jail. Not actual decent people who are trying to propel the company forward and make a living. I read about this company treating people like robots before I started, and boy were they right.
    There is a lack of flexibility here, a lack of care for the wellbeing of their employee's health (mental and physical). Ridiculous policies and you barely accrue any vacation time. There is a high turnover for a reason. That is all I will say to those looking to work here. Also compensation is not competitive AT ALL. And they recruit you with a "we'll give you a raise within 6 months" pitch, only to make it impossible to recieve (even if you're hitting your goals).

Advice to Management

Please be properly trained. Please be professional and provide mentorship and actual training to your employees. A manager isn't just someone who tells you what to do, it should be a person who is accommodating, hears you out, *helps* you reach your goals and urges the company to provide you with the proper resources necessary to get your job done.

"Towing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Boat US (Boat Owners Association of The United States) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits are awesome. The pay is good.

Cons

Management are shady. Even after meeting your goals, its not enough. Before the new CEO, it was a "good ole boys" work place. They are revamping that structure slowy, and are starting to promote based on job performance, except in towing

"Keep looking"

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

Co workers are great other than a few trouble makers and cliques
    Jean Wednesday and Friday

Cons

Your time is tracked
    More focus on time tracking and less on insurance
    The projects are a joke. Just people getting out of work
    Dont expect to get a promotion unless you are friends with a manager
    Pay is poor

Advice to Management

Go back to being an insurance company and focus on the customer
    Keep your employees happy and they will work harder than you can imagine

7. "A company in change"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Boat US (Boat Owners Association of The United States) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

When I worked there the company had a bit of feel of being a friendly backwater.
    But that was a big plus. Everyone was always really friendly.
    Benefits were OK. Probably on a par with most places. My boss was pretty flexible with working from home/time off, once you showed you were good at getting the work done. Like anywhere it really depends on what dept. you're in, or who you report to.

Cons

Again, depending on your dept. there wasn't much room to move up, or even to expand your current position to make it more interesting. That was why I ultimately left.

Advice to Management

Lead! Take action, any action and people will follow you.

8. "Growing Rapidly"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Boat US (Boat Owners Association of The United States) (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have worked at BoatU.S. for many years and while their have been some "growing pains" since BoatU.S. became part of GEICO, it's clear that we are headed in the right direction. There are a lot of opportunities to work hard, prove yourself and move up within the organization.

Cons

It's been challenging with all the changes that are being made. Some employees are having trouble adjusting to the new way of doing things and having their performance measured.

Advice to Management

Keep communicating to employees

9. "Great Company!! Less than competitive pay..."

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Boat US (Boat Owners Association of The United States) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Boat U.S. recently merged with GEICO and became GEICO Marine Insurance Company. Since the merger, the benefits package has gotten better. Pay has increased, but so has the call/claims volume. A licensing training was recently implemented with great results. The Claims department is like a tight-nit family; management is understanding and genuinely want us to succeed. While salary increased with the merger, it is still less than what one would make at another larger insurance company.

Cons

Pay is less than competitive. Since GEICO took over, a lot more micro management, i.e: They actually listen to your calls in progress, they can even see your screen while taking a call.

Advice to Management

None, management is great

"Culture Shift"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Boat US (Boat Owners Association of The United States) (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, relaxed atmosphere, business casual dress, free parking, great health benefits and onsite deli.

Cons

Management assumed by GEICO creating significant shift in culture, workload and expectations for growth. Constant meetings with little definitive action. Pace of change creating errors and impacting customer service. Low pay in general.

Advice to Management

Let the dust settle before adding new initiatives on top of the changes already taking place.