Boat US (Boat Owners Association of The United States) Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 19, 2019

2.5
Kirk La

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Since the merger, the benefits package has gotten better" (in 5 reviews)

• "Good benefits: matching 401k, health and dental (full time only), bonus eoy" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "While the growth is significant, management is lacking and moving towards extreme micro-management techniques driven by metrics" (in 5 reviews)

• "Sales professionals are pulled in to cover customer service calls" (in 4 reviews)

1. "Great place to work for"

Former Employee - First Mate in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - First Mate in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Boat US (Boat Owners Association of The United States) part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of freedom, great to work outside and on the water

Cons

Sporadic hours of when you will (or won't) be heading out on a call

2. "I have been working at BoatUS for more than 15 years"

I have been working at Boat US (Boat Owners Association of The United States) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Extensive training programs, promotes employees from within, great work culture, growing company

Cons

Systems and IT changes at times come slow

3. "Old technology and bad management"

I worked at Boat US (Boat Owners Association of The United States) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Most of the people who work there are very friendly.

Cons

Agree with RUN THE OTHER WAY. Management is uneducated in the fields they manage. People get put in positions they are not qualified for and management wonders why they can't do the job, if they even notice how unskilled half of their employees are. And the most talented people leave because of low recognition. Equipment is low end and everyone uses the same old PCs unless you're lucky enough to get a decent hand me down, but don't hold your breath. Experience is not regarded very highly, or degrees if you're a professional. You will get paid the same as someone with no education or experience that can't even use photoshop, and then you will be expected to teach those people but never get picked up for promotion.

Advice to Management

Value the people you have with skills or they will leave you for some place that treats them better. You have seen it. Promote people with experience and talent and an education before expecting them to train the rest of YOUR staff.

4. "Great Place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Boat US (Boat Owners Association of The United States) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work. Friendly people and the opportunity to grow. Have a good profit sharing opportunity.

Cons

none I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. CEO genuinely cares about his people and has a true open door policy. He makes you feel you can come directly to him with any concern you may have.

5. "Amazing office"

Current Employee - Underwriter
    Current Employee - Underwriter

Pros

Great company with amazing benefits and people

Cons

I cannot think of any cons

6. "Good "Foot in the Door" Job"

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster

I have been working at Boat US (Boat Owners Association of The United States) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hands-off management, good hours, relaxed workplace culture, very easy to do well and move up the ladder

Cons

Pay is well below market average, recent workflow changes removing personal ownership and accountability

Advice to Management

Pay competitively if you want to retain your top performers long-term

"Old Technoloagy"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Pros

benefits, great people to work with.

Cons

If you work in I.T, Run the other way. Mostly outdated technology. It is a call center, nothing exciting or cutting edge.

"Professional Staff"

Pros

Lots of food, nice people, and flexible work schedule.

Cons

Low salaries, lack of processes, lack of professionalism, not eligible for benefits until 90 day despite being professional staff, and the office physical environment is dated and depressing. Kudos for the company for recognizing this and moving soon.

Advice to Management

Increase those salaries, you will never recruit and retain excellent personnel if you don't pay them enough to live in metro DC; get some processes like project management plans when you are undergoing major changes in systems.

"RACIST COMPANY, STAY AWAY IF YOU HAVE COLOR OR CULTURE"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Boat US (Boat Owners Association of The United States) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You may get a profit sharing bonus if a hurricane doesn't hit

Cons

Extremely bigoted company where remarks like "slavery was pretty sensible" are the norm.
    Only expect to be promoted if your an absolute brown nose until the end or your wife or mom is one of the higher ups.
    Management is very mean with poor communication, I've literally seen people set up to be fired by management.
    Their employee turnaround is almost 50% (about 46% at the time I left)
    work here at your own risk...

Advice to Management

let go of the confederate culture that runs the company under Kirk, it's sad to see such a good CEO dragged down by the racist culture he inherited.

"It’s a call center"

Current Employee - Service Agent in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Service Agent in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

Coworkers are decent, benefits, free company lunches (occasionally)

Cons

This is a call center. You can expect to answer anywhere from 40-70 calls a day depending on time of the year. Mandatory 10 hours OT for summer months. Management gives out gift cards for OT and other pay incentives depending on how much OT you work. With that said, this job in an exhausting one. A lot of upset customers you will have to deal with and sometimes you can’t do anything to help. Some customers will talk to you any kind of way over the phone. You are micromanaged everyday with a schedule of when you are allowed to go on lunch and your 2 10 minute breaks. You can either work 4 or 5 days a week. Management will push you to upsale customers with multiple things on every call to the point where customers get annoyed. Some supervisors are very young and too immature to hold a position of leadership and also lack willingness to help and knowledge of the company. Some trainers were very uptight and it made the rest of the newly hired employees uncomfortable.

Advice to Management

Don’t send out messages letting us all know we have calls in queue, we already know and we’re all trying to work through it. Be a part of the solution and help out on the phones if you’re that worried about it. Service agents are underpaid based upon industry standards and have less of a chance of hitting a sales incentive than the sales department. Either bring down the requirements to hit the sales incentive or pay us more. Do that and maybe the turnover rate will be less. After call work time is ridiculous. You’d rather us put the customer on an unnecessary hold to write our notes when we could let the customer go and take the same amount of time writing our notes after the call?? And yet you preach “customer experience.” Promote from within the company. While I do think the management development program is a great opportunity for individuals (especially recent college graduates), the best and most knowledgeable supervisors I’ve seen are the ones who have worked their way up through the company.