Bob Evans Reviews in Indianapolis, IN | Glassdoor

2.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Michael Townsley

Cons

"Bob Evans is growing and changing what it will become... Is yet to be seen."

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Brownsburg, IN
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Brownsburg, IN

I have been working at Bob Evans full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Stable, steady flow of income, staff will be like family

Cons

Stressful highly, no support from upper management or corporate. Ridiculous menu creations and changes often, NO SUPPORT FROM ANYWHERE.

Advice to Management

Don't do it with out a well thought out plan. Show your staff not in high levels of management but working at local stores love and support. Giving gms and dos weeks of vacation while ams have work with new systems changes and no support... Not smart.

2. "For the love of all that is holy, do NOT look for work at Bob's"

Current Employee - Host/Cashier in Franklin, IN
    Current Employee - Host/Cashier in Franklin, IN

I have been working at Bob Evans part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paychecks, lunch breaks, dining discounts

Cons

This is one company that you do NOT want to work for. I saw another reviewer here say that they wouldn't tell their worst enemy to apply at Bob Evan's. I couldn't agree more. I'm going to tell you the reasons why in no particular order.

1). During the interview process I was led to believe that I was being offered a full-time position. About a month later, I'm working less than 15 hours a week. Now, it looks that I'll probably have to pursue a third job. Even now, managers are incredibly hard to deal with when it comes to scheduling. They would rather avoid you then sit down and discuss your scheduling needs. They will schedule you for a shift which you told them you wouldn't be able to make, and then they will blame you when you tell them AGAIN that you cannot make that shift. Which leads me to my second point...

2). This company hires the most inept managers I think I have ever seen. Not only do they fail professionally, they are also impossibly rude to their employees. I don't know how many times I've witnessed a manager or shift lead raise their voice at a coworker over a problem which could very easily be fixed if said manager/shift lead took five seconds to calm down and review the situation at hand like a normal adult.

3). There is absolutely zero communication in the workplace. Managers, shift leads, hourlies--no one feels the need to communicate with one another. The day almost never runs smoothly, and when mistakes inevitably occur, people will become extremely disrespectful and the problem will still not get fixed.

4). Managers routinely neglect to order the things that we need. Rarely does a day go by when I find that something I need has not been ordered. When I bring this to the attention of the manager who was supposed to order X that I cannot find, that manager will deny all responsibility and will imply that I am to blame.

5). I understand that weekends are busy, but there is absolutely no reason for management to schedule 4 hosts at the same time. This happens every week. Inevitably 1-2 individuals end up standing around with no work, because the situation does not require more than 1-2 individuals being scheduled in the first place.

6). This is probably the most disorganized workplace I have ever seen. The stockroom is perpetually messy. The floors and counters are filthy. None of the employees clean up after themselves. Bags, silverware, ketchup packets, you name it, can be found lying about in seemingly random locations. Sometimes you can leave them there all week and no one will think to put them back where they will go.

7). It is clear that managers play favorites. My manager routinely reminds me that I need to shave my face. Another host at my location has hair all over his face every time I see him on the shift. The same manager who seems so concerned with my facial hair has never once pulled this other host to the side to give him The Shaving Speech. Likewise, I have been told that I can't eat or drink anything unless I go to the breakroom. This is not a hard rule to follow, and I understand that it is in place, but I get extremely annoyed when I see someone else eating biscuits or drinking coffee in full view of the manager. The manager will often engage in smalltalk with this employee and not tell them to finish what they're doing in the backroom. More than once I have been asked by a member of management to complete a task. I will go to complete the task and the manager will pull me away because he has asked someone else to complete the task instead.

8). I'm repeating myself here, but it's important. I am expected to complete a number of tasks all at the same time: Seat guests, cash guests out, answer the phone, bus tables, complete carry out orders, go to the back to bring up rolls or biscuits, prepare silverware, etc. Management has a hard time understanding that I can only do one or two of these things at a time, and often managers become hostile when I'm unable to complete 15 tasks at once. It is a very rare day when a member of management expresses approval or congratulates me on a job well done.

9). The 'training' offered to employees is subpar at the very best. I was expected to know how to my job on Day One, and when I made a mistake I was treated like a stupid person. This is despite the fact that I was thrown into X task with zero explanation. A lot of the time, managers will treat you like a child.

Advice to Management

I would advise middle management to look for opportunities elsewhere. They are woefully incompetent and almost always end up making problems worse. I would ask corporate management to please, please, *please* look for better individuals to fill those positions. Hourly employees will suffer much less, and people might actually start eating at Bob Evan's.

3. "Host"

Current Employee - Hostess in Columbus, IN
    Current Employee - Hostess in Columbus, IN

I have been working at Bob Evans part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The schedule is flexible and the hour rate is okay.

Cons

bad place to work

Advice to Management

Get better manger you management blows

5. "Assistant General Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Beech Grove, IN
    Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Beech Grove, IN

I worked at Bob Evans full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is a WONDERFUL company! The staff are like family, you get one free meal per day, they do community outreach, and are always trying to stay ahead of the curve. You get to work in restaurant and do DAY shifts!

Cons

This company is primarily a "training" job. You are going to get excellent training on how to do things, but there are very few GM positions that become available so you aren't moving up often in title and the pay is on the low end of the industry because it is primarily breakfast driven in most of its stores.

Advice to Management

Don't leave stores continually understaffed with managers and actually get your area directors in the stores more than five hours per YEAR.

6. "Not an Ideal Work Environment"

Former Employee - Shift Leader in Franklin, IN
    Former Employee - Shift Leader in Franklin, IN

I worked at Bob Evans part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible part time hours, Advancement opportunities

Cons

Low pay, long work weeks for managers, poor management and HR

7. "server"

Former Employee - Food Server in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Food Server in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Bob Evans (Less than a year)

Pros

The food is great and so were the customers. There were a lot of older people who would come in and just want to chat, and tip you well.

Cons

At times it was too slow. The one I worked at ended up closing.

Advice to Management

None.

"Good People, Mixed Hours"

Current Employee - Cashier/Hostess in Brownsburg, IN
    Current Employee - Cashier/Hostess in Brownsburg, IN

I have been working at Bob Evans part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Bob Evans was my first job. I'm glad I started working here. Bob Evans is all about treating friends like family. Everyone refers to each other on a first name basis. There are customers who come in regularly. Your
    co-workers will feel like a second family. Bob Evans is a great place for a first job. You'll get the work experience you need without a rough team.

Cons

If you're over 18, you may be forced to work extremely heavy shifts that you did not request.

Your work schedule may be unpredictable. Sometimes, you'll be given consistent work hours that fit your availability. Other days, you'll be given light work shifts by supurise.

At first, the servers may seem surly and mean.
    Learn to do your job correctly fast. The servers will talk bad behind your back if you don't.

9. "Ok place"

Former Employee - Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Manager in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Nice people, nice restaurant, great management training program.

Cons

Long hours, always work weekends, not enough vacation time, no sick time, only holiday paid is Christmas.

Advice to Management

Give your restaurant mgrs. the same benefits you give your corporate employees.

10. "Awful"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plainfield, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plainfield, IN

I have been working at Bob Evans part-time (More than a year)

Pros

SOME good people to work with
    Good hours because its such low staff
    Its really hard for me to actually think of pros. They kind of have good food

Cons

Manager embezzles money and still hasnt been fired
    Unorganized
    Low staff
    Lazy co workers
    Treated badly

Advice to Management

I think management needs to step up. This is the most poorly ran restaurant I have ever seen. And we still have a manager who LEAVES before scheduled too, plays on phone, stays in office and does nothing, and everyone else follows his lead and are LAZY.

11. "Very good experience. Co-Workers are great and managers are fun to be around with."

Current Employee - Dishwasher in Greenwood, IN
    Current Employee - Dishwasher in Greenwood, IN

I have been working at Bob Evans part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The other workers in your department or just the whole restaurant in general. I have made many work friends and some even get happy when I enter the restaurant for my shift.

Cons

Some people don't keep up with their job, an example would be some waitresses don't clear off plates before giving them to you for cleaning even though it's their job to do so.