Bob Evans Restaurants Host Reviews | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Host

Bob Evans Restaurants Host Reviews

Updated Sep 4, 2019

2.4
Bob Evans Restaurants CEO Saed Mohseni (no image)
Saed Mohseni
  1. "Wonder full experience"

Former Employee - Host

I worked at Bob Evans Restaurants full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun Easy Laid back and Great pay

Cons

There are no downsides to this job

Bob Evans Restaurants2019-09-04
  2. "Potentially Great (if you're a Server!)"

Former Employee - Host/Cashier in Sebring, FL

I worked at Bob Evans Restaurants part-time for more than a year

Pros

-Fast-paced depending on the season, so the time goes by quickly. -Get to learn how to work as a team. -Very fulfilling when you're able to make a guest's visit memorable. Can't tell you how many times I received personal thanks (and sometimes even a tip separate from the server's). -If you're a student, management will do their best to schedule around your schooling.

Cons

-Long hours standing, can be physically exhausting at times. -You don't make SQUAT as a host. The money, like in any other restaurant, is in Servers or Management. *This can vary from situation to situation, but there were times where we had to do Server tasks due to the fast-paced nature of the job. Afterwards, the SERVER is the one who got the tip. (I understand server wages are low and tips are the main... chunk of their income). This just didn't feel right at times.

Advice to Management

-Hire adults ONLY (18+)! The whole mandatory break-times for non-adults really hurt how the whole operation ran at times, and often times resulted in a toxic work environment as the adults had to pick up the slack for the non-adults. This likely varies state to state, but hiring kids is doing more harm than good (even if they can pay them less). -Continue to help students schedule around school. It's greatly... appreciated. -Continue to be involved with the community and especially during high-traffic dates, such as Thanksgiving and Christmas. -Create an easily accessible feedback system for patrons. Maybe there is one, but I didn't see it or experience it at my Bob Evans!

Bob Evans Restaurants2019-08-15

"Not awful, but corporate is annoying"

Former Employee - Host/Hostess in Howell, MI

I worked at Bob Evans Restaurants part-time for more than a year

Pros

Job is pretty basic and straight forward as a host. You have a lot of interesting people to take care of, and it can be fun. The community at my location was pretty great. We had a few odd balls come through but overall we had a good team. Good job for flexible hours, picking up shifts, and younger people looking for a first job or two. It builds costumer service skills, phone skills, problem solving, and general... teamwork.

Cons

Lack of communication between management can be annoying. Work policies from corporate change every couple months so just when you think you know it all they have to go and mess with it. Menu changes every quarter so guests often get annoyed when their favorite thing is gone. We just had a big managerial shift so I’m not sure how things are going to be under the new people.

Advice to Management

Corporate needs to spend some time hosting, waiting tables, and cooking using all of their little rules and policies. It doesn’t work very well in the real world- I’m sorry. Get out of your office and give us all a raise while you’re at it. Keep your GM’s from working more than they should on their set salary. Please. Thanks.

Bob Evans Restaurants2019-05-21
  4. "Managers are the best."

Former Employee - Host/Cashier in Collinsville, IL

I worked at Bob Evans Restaurants part-time for less than a year

Pros

Very good and hardworking workers to work along with.

Cons

Pay was not the best but it was a job.

Bob Evans Restaurants2019-04-05
  5. "good"

Former Employee - Host in Crofton, MD

I worked at Bob Evans Restaurants part-time for more than a year

Pros

good money good hours nice people

Cons

none really i liked working there

Bob Evans Restaurants2019-03-07
  6. "I guess it's okay for your first job"

Former Employee - Host/Cashier in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Bob Evans Restaurants part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some of the co-workers are nice and fun to work with.

Cons

- No free food - Bad management (especially corporate) - Every year that I worked there, more and more work seemed to shift toward non-server employees such as myself. - Stressful environment

Bob Evans Restaurants2019-02-21
  7. "Host"

Host in Wheeling, WV

I have been working at Bob Evans Restaurants

Pros

Guests, co-workers, friendly people. Change is hard.

Cons

Insurance and lack of help

Advice to Management

Change jobs now.

Bob Evans Restaurants2019-02-14
  8. "Host"

Host

I worked at Bob Evans Restaurants for less than a year

Pros

Co-workers, easy, a lot of down time, short shifts

Cons

Kitchen was always in chaos, bad management, hours were always cut to bare minimun

Bob Evans Restaurants2018-08-28
  9. "Two Months Maxium"

Former Employee - Host/Hostess in University Heights, OH

I worked at Bob Evans Restaurants part-time for less than a year

Pros

Menus were changed finally updated and looked pretty. Like that alot. Also I loved the way they changed from using wire racks... way up, to their paper bags instead now. So cool. Loved it. I enjoyed doing menus... My Genernal Mager was cool... So was the Assistant. Thanks.

Cons

Well working on your feet was tough for so long a hours epeically when you foot was foot broken. I got sent home a lot and into lots of arguments with some of the females who work there. Eventually gotten it had gotten so, bad to the point of causing myself to have to place some space between us and the company I resigned happily too... On my moms advice of course after she heard of an accuraete account of thee... events I endured whiling be in there. Selah. And I which I did, finally after the last and final straw. Thanks. Amen. These were some very dark experiences. ABBA. Amen. I asked for full time. Didn't get that. Gave me part. I asked to work after church hours didn't get that. Instead got sent home regularly seemed like to me, only nine hours for a week. LOL. Cops came to store. People weren't paying. Walking out... lack of attention. Yelling, lots of cursing. Horrible. I've cried from the treatment I recieved while being there. I mean Never recieved on hug. From anyone... Well maybe one. And that was all. Selah. Hardly ever get any breaks. I was told no on more than one occasion. One lady went an whole shift and never once spoke to me.... I am being serious. Right now. This was my experience with them. Amen. Pray. Something is wrong with them. Sin. Selah. True. Okay. Hope this was Helpful to coperate/folks who created and/or made this famed resturant. Becasuse if this was my company , I'd have something to say to these folks. Worst experience to date. Frankly. A lot of chattering amongst the females... around the counters. Very short staffed and way too busy at times in my opinion. Seriously, I couldn't take them anymore so I left.

Advice to Management

Watch the females you think are so good. They are hurting your store/company. It's people. LOL. Which without you can't carry on, no way. Best of Luck. And I forgive you.

Bob Evans Restaurants2018-07-25
  10. "Okay, but questionable management"

Former Employee - Host/Hostess in Richmond, IN

I worked at Bob Evans Restaurants part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Organized Busy days (Sat/Sun, Holidays) Good team

Cons

Questionable management/rotating management Mandatory holidays Rude/disrespectful guests Strained relations between workers

Advice to Management

Really check your managerial staff when hiring them. We had 2 Assistant GMs in 6 months and never had steady shift leaders or other managers.

Bob Evans Restaurants2018-06-23