Bob Evans Reviews | Glassdoor

Michael Townsley

1. "Fed up"

Current Employee - Hostess in Paintsville, KY
    Current Employee - Hostess in Paintsville, KY

I have been working at Bob Evans part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Meeting new people. And leaving at the end of your shift, if they decide to let you go on time.

Cons

Managers are rude. One in particular talks down to employess in front of guests. Forget about getting sick. They will cut you from full time to not even part time hours.

Advice to Management

Be professional!!

2. "Assistant Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Fairfield, OH
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Fairfield, OH

I have been working at Bob Evans (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the staff I really connected with

Cons

EVERYTHING everything everything EVERYTHING EVERYTHING

Advice to Management

realize managers have families too

3. "Not a great company."

Current Employee - Server in Aurora, OH
    Current Employee - Server in Aurora, OH

Pros

Coworkers are like family.
    Easy job.

Cons

Not enough money
    Managers treat you unfairly.
    Lots of dumb rules

Advice to Management

Learn how to be real managers.

5. "For the love of all that is holy, do NOT look for work at Bob's"

Current Employee - Host/Cashier in Franklin, IN
    Current Employee - Host/Cashier in Franklin, IN

I have been working at Bob Evans part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paychecks, lunch breaks, dining discounts

Cons

This is one company that you do NOT want to work for. I saw another reviewer here say that they wouldn't tell their worst enemy to apply at Bob Evan's. I couldn't agree more. I'm going to tell you the reasons why in no particular order.

1). During the interview process I was led to believe that I was being offered a full-time position. About a month later, I'm working less than 15 hours a week. Now, it looks that I'll probably have to pursue a third job. Even now, managers are incredibly hard to deal with when it comes to scheduling. They would rather avoid you then sit down and discuss your scheduling needs. They will schedule you for a shift which you told them you wouldn't be able to make, and then they will blame you when you tell them AGAIN that you cannot make that shift. Which leads me to my second point...

2). This company hires the most inept managers I think I have ever seen. Not only do they fail professionally, they are also impossibly rude to their employees. I don't know how many times I've witnessed a manager or shift lead raise their voice at a coworker over a problem which could very easily be fixed if said manager/shift lead took five seconds to calm down and review the situation at hand like a normal adult.

3). There is absolutely zero communication in the workplace. Managers, shift leads, hourlies--no one feels the need to communicate with one another. The day almost never runs smoothly, and when mistakes inevitably occur, people will become extremely disrespectful and the problem will still not get fixed.

4). Managers routinely neglect to order the things that we need. Rarely does a day go by when I find that something I need has not been ordered. When I bring this to the attention of the manager who was supposed to order X that I cannot find, that manager will deny all responsibility and will imply that I am to blame.

5). I understand that weekends are busy, but there is absolutely no reason for management to schedule 4 hosts at the same time. This happens every week. Inevitably 1-2 individuals end up standing around with no work, because the situation does not require more than 1-2 individuals being scheduled in the first place.

6). This is probably the most disorganized workplace I have ever seen. The stockroom is perpetually messy. The floors and counters are filthy. None of the employees clean up after themselves. Bags, silverware, ketchup packets, you name it, can be found lying about in seemingly random locations. Sometimes you can leave them there all week and no one will think to put them back where they will go.

7). It is clear that managers play favorites. My manager routinely reminds me that I need to shave my face. Another host at my location has hair all over his face every time I see him on the shift. The same manager who seems so concerned with my facial hair has never once pulled this other host to the side to give him The Shaving Speech. Likewise, I have been told that I can't eat or drink anything unless I go to the breakroom. This is not a hard rule to follow, and I understand that it is in place, but I get extremely annoyed when I see someone else eating biscuits or drinking coffee in full view of the manager. The manager will often engage in smalltalk with this employee and not tell them to finish what they're doing in the backroom. More than once I have been asked by a member of management to complete a task. I will go to complete the task and the manager will pull me away because he has asked someone else to complete the task instead.

8). I'm repeating myself here, but it's important. I am expected to complete a number of tasks all at the same time: Seat guests, cash guests out, answer the phone, bus tables, complete carry out orders, go to the back to bring up rolls or biscuits, prepare silverware, etc. Management has a hard time understanding that I can only do one or two of these things at a time, and often managers become hostile when I'm unable to complete 15 tasks at once. It is a very rare day when a member of management expresses approval or congratulates me on a job well done.

9). The 'training' offered to employees is subpar at the very best. I was expected to know how to my job on Day One, and when I made a mistake I was treated like a stupid person. This is despite the fact that I was thrown into X task with zero explanation. A lot of the time, managers will treat you like a child.

Advice to Management

I would advise middle management to look for opportunities elsewhere. They are woefully incompetent and almost always end up making problems worse. I would ask corporate management to please, please, *please* look for better individuals to fill those positions. Hourly employees will suffer much less, and people might actually start eating at Bob Evan's.

6. "Doesn't care about Employees"

Former Employee - Back of House Traing Specialist Shift Leader in Fort Wayne, IN

Pros

Get to meet a lot of new people as Employees & Managers come and go. Some nice customers, and in many locations.

Cons

Broken equipment, inaccurate schedules, poor food handling, no enthusiasm for job or Pride in work. Favoritism obvious in many stores and Managers. Poor Promoting patterns. Managers just thrown into a setting and moved about, no sense of purpose. Constant Core Changes in a "Been the same since..." Company. Only cares about money, hence losing many good people and whole stores; 24 Stores closed so far in the last year, the ones remaining only doing about 30% of previous sales. Poor Quality, and little care to fix anything even in upper management.

Advice to Management

Get a game plan, fix things, and listen to your Employees & Customers. FIX IT RIGHT!

7. "Servers"

Former Employee - Server/Waiter in Cape Coral South, FL
    Former Employee - Server/Waiter in Cape Coral South, FL

Pros

Some of my fellow workers were wonderful. The money was good - IF you got your fair share of table and rotation on guests coming in... IF.... IF Bob Evans was like they say they are about a family friendly company... Well lets put it this was I was very hopeful and happy at first. I have worked in the hospitality industry my entire life. There is always drama at every restaurant/bar. It is expected. But management if they knew how to control it. Bob Evans would be a great place to work. I wish they had known how to do their jobs.

Cons

"Family Friendly" is a joke this is the worst company I ever worked for in my entire life. I had to call corporate after finding a co-worker with a broken needle after his drug dealer dropped his drugs off . I called corp. for that and the un fair rotation and favorite treatment of some servers over others for lewd behavior!! So management made me pay by giving me the worst treatment I ever had. I NEVER got the best sections, even if I was the closer. I was discriminated against and held accountable and punished for calling corporate because management would never listen. I understand the Pine Island location may be better to work for but the DelPrado location is a joke. Illegal to retaliate against calling HR at HQ for any reason. Nice job Bob Evans you should be ashamed of yourself. I have worked for many restaurant in my life but I will not admit to ever working for Bob Evans this company is the worst.

Advice to Management

Really... I managed the largest family run meeting planning firm in the world for 20 plus years. My degrees are all in Hospitality Marketing. My advice to management is to listen to your workers and try to care. I feel at work and not one manager ever asked if I was ok. Not one!! Which was another main reason I went over "management" heads to corporate. But seven months taking their crap and I left. Get a clue and listen - encourage teamwork not pick a favorite and let her get away with breaking the "Bob Evans rules" for what reason... huh I wonder what reason that would be.

"Poor management and lazy coworkers"

Former Employee - Cashier/Hostess in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Cashier/Hostess in Louisville, KY

I worked at Bob Evans part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast and easy to 'climb' up the latter. Was given 1 raise during 5 months from 8.25 to 10/hour. Sexual harassment delivered by guest, after complaints management staff didn't address the situation. After the situation escalated the management staff blamed those who were effected.

Cons

Was expected to do more than what my position specified. Managers were lazy, and avoided angry guest. Kitchen staff was unsanitary and overly aggressive. Servers were lazy and didn't do their job in a timely manner. Unsatisfactory working environment.

Advice to Management

Fire them all. They need a new GM, AM, all other mangers and shift leaders. That place is the worse working environment humanly possible.

9. "Low life"

Current Employee - Diswasher in Festus, MO
    Current Employee - Diswasher in Festus, MO

Pros

Had diarrhea and sharted my pants boss let me go home

Cons

Too many dishes to wash

Advice to Management

Get a life low life

10. "Host"

Current Employee - Hostess in Columbus, IN
    Current Employee - Hostess in Columbus, IN

I have been working at Bob Evans part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The schedule is flexible and the hour rate is okay.

Cons

bad place to work

Advice to Management

Get better manger you management blows

11. "Fraudulent"

Former Employee - Server/Waiter in Washington Court House, OH
    Former Employee - Server/Waiter in Washington Court House, OH

Pros

easy job, close to my house

Cons

management would only give hours to people they liked, making sure no one got full time, and hostesses would only give tables to waitresses they liked causing you to not get any tips.
    WORST PART- The management would then make us type in our tips at the end of the day, and if it didn't equal minimum wage (they have to cover it if the tips don't) they would FORCE us to LIE so that they didn't have to pay us minimum wage. The other employees were so stupid they just let them with no questions asked.

Advice to Management

Watch out for FRAUD- You could get in a lot of trouble for lying about this stuff don't put yourself on the line to protect this billion dollar corporation from paying their employees a fair wage.