Bob Evans Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

1. "not-as-bad"

Former Employee - Host-dishwasher in Mason, WV
    Former Employee - Host-dishwasher in Mason, WV

I worked at Bob Evans part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A great job to work if you need to work on your communication skills. This job will teach you stress and energy management.

Cons

The cons are the speed you will have to be able to maintain to withstand the rush every day.
    The everyday drama, you will need to learn to overlook.

Advice to Management

This was a great job. The problem is overlooked favoritism or even unrecognized favoritism

2. "Server"

Current Employee - Waiting Staff in Steubenville, OH
    Current Employee - Waiting Staff in Steubenville, OH

I have been working at Bob Evans (Less than a year)

Pros

A great company to work for. We have an awesome management team. We are a high volume store. I have been there for 11 years and I have a great schedule.

Cons

We do not have enough people being a part of the team. We just recently got the new aloha system and it is not set up for our company when it comes to tips. This is a big issue for everyone.

Advice to Management

Please listen to your employees. Sometimes we are right.

"Hostess/cashier"

Former Employee - Hostess/Cashier in Frederick, MD
    Former Employee - Hostess/Cashier in Frederick, MD

Pros

It's really great, when I started in 2012, I went back in the restaurant business after 15 years, of working adm/clerical. I guess after almost being there 4 years, I would NEVER WORK there again.

Cons

The management really after 2 managers, work place sucked. To much favortism.

Advice to Management

Treat employees with respect, and not just a number

5. "Doesn't care about Employees"

Former Employee - Back of House Traing Specialist Shift Leader in Fort Wayne, IN

Pros

Get to meet a lot of new people as Employees & Managers come and go. Some nice customers, and in many locations.

Cons

Broken equipment, inaccurate schedules, poor food handling, no enthusiasm for job or Pride in work. Favoritism obvious in many stores and Managers. Poor Promoting patterns. Managers just thrown into a setting and moved about, no sense of purpose. Constant Core Changes in a "Been the same since..." Company. Only cares about money, hence losing many good people and whole stores; 24 Stores closed so far in the last year, the ones remaining only doing about 30% of previous sales. Poor Quality, and little care to fix anything even in upper management.

Advice to Management

Get a game plan, fix things, and listen to your Employees & Customers. FIX IT RIGHT!

6. "Values external talent over loyal employees"

Former Employee - Customer Service Attendant in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Attendant in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Bob Evans part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The customer base, managment pushes you to succeed, family like atmospshere

Cons

Lack of internal career advancement, trying to hard to "innovate" that they are turning their backs on loyal employees and customers in an effort to try and be "New". Will only hire external talent.

Advice to Management

I worked as a server for this company for 8 years through high school and college and knew the clientele like the back of my hand. After getting a marketing degree and a personal recommendation email from my GM, I reached out to the corporate recruiters to advance myself into an entry level Marketing role. My GM received no response to his recommendation email and all I received was an automated message I "did not have the experience for the role" (an entry level role). Fast forward 5 years which I spent in business analytics for 2 different companies, I reached out for a business analyst role which asked for 3-5 years experience. Sent a personal cover letter to the recruiter documenting my previous employment with the company. Received an automated message I didn't not have enough experience for the role. I've spoken to previous co workers throughout the years who advised me Bob Evans is only interested in recruiting external talent from other restaurants in order to get fresh, new ideas, while failing to advance their loyal employees on the ground floor. To quote a little old lady I once waited on "this place went downhill after Bob died"

7. "Shipping & Receiving"

Former Employee - Team Trainer in Flint, MI
    Former Employee - Team Trainer in Flint, MI

I worked at Bob Evans full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Productive worker fast learner work good in group or alone

Cons

I set myself high expectation and come down on myself if I don't accomplish them

Advice to Management

Always do what's going to help the company advance

8. "Servers"

Former Employee - Server/Waiter in Cape Coral South, FL
    Former Employee - Server/Waiter in Cape Coral South, FL

Pros

Some of my fellow workers were wonderful. The money was good - IF you got your fair share of table and rotation on guests coming in... IF.... IF Bob Evans was like they say they are about a family friendly company... Well lets put it this was I was very hopeful and happy at first. I have worked in the hospitality industry my entire life. There is always drama at every restaurant/bar. It is expected. But management if they knew how to control it. Bob Evans would be a great place to work. I wish they had known how to do their jobs.

Cons

"Family Friendly" is a joke this is the worst company I ever worked for in my entire life. I had to call corporate after finding a co-worker with a broken needle after his drug dealer dropped his drugs off . I called corp. for that and the un fair rotation and favorite treatment of some servers over others for lewd behavior!! So management made me pay by giving me the worst treatment I ever had. I NEVER got the best sections, even if I was the closer. I was discriminated against and held accountable and punished for calling corporate because management would never listen. I understand the Pine Island location may be better to work for but the DelPrado location is a joke. Illegal to retaliate against calling HR at HQ for any reason. Nice job Bob Evans you should be ashamed of yourself. I have worked for many restaurant in my life but I will not admit to ever working for Bob Evans this company is the worst.

Advice to Management

Really... I managed the largest family run meeting planning firm in the world for 20 plus years. My degrees are all in Hospitality Marketing. My advice to management is to listen to your workers and try to care. I feel at work and not one manager ever asked if I was ok. Not one!! Which was another main reason I went over "management" heads to corporate. But seven months taking their crap and I left. Get a clue and listen - encourage teamwork not pick a favorite and let her get away with breaking the "Bob Evans rules" for what reason... huh I wonder what reason that would be.

9. "Assistant manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Good health care paid time off

Cons

You spend more time there then u do at home.

10. "server"

Former Employee - Server/Trainer in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Server/Trainer in Columbus, OH

I worked at Bob Evans full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

my customers is what made the best days

Cons

slow days are my cons

11. "Dishwasher"

Former Employee - Dishwasher/Busboy in Batavia, NY
    Former Employee - Dishwasher/Busboy in Batavia, NY

I worked at Bob Evans full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

vacation -time and some health benefits.

Cons

low-pay rate and funny about too much overtime.

Advice to Management

pay higher wages and more team work.