Bob's Discount Furniture Reviews | Glassdoor

Bob's Discount Furniture President and CEO Michael Skirvin
Michael Skirvin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • work weekends, and upper management doesn't not communicate with lower management (in 11 reviews)

• Work life balance is a bit tough, but that's normal in retail (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Cockeysville, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Cockeysville, MD

I have been working at Bob's Discount Furniture full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has great core values that align with my personal values - integrity and transparency being the most important to me. The mattresses are such excellent quality product that I can feel really good about representing and I enjoy this area the most- But really it's about the customers. A lot of foot traffic gives me a chance to get a little glimpse into the lives of all that I speak to - and to me these customers' stories are fascinating. I enjoy the people and Bobs gives me the platform in which to have a connection with them while earning a great living. The product sells itself which allows for very minimal stress on the job. When I go home, I leave my work at work.

The company has a pretty good paid time off benefit after completing a year of employment. I believe it's like a total of almost 4 weeks off which is nice.

Bob's promotes from within often so there are lots of opportunities for advancement - especially is you are available to relocate.

Cons

Work life balance can be challenging due to retail hours.
    There aren't any cons past the demands of the retail schedule.

Advice to Management

For a sales associate position consider implementing a rotating weekend off per month (if the employee wants it) as so many other companies do. I truly believe this would give the employee a refreshed outlook and also bring in a larger quantity of qualified candidates seeking employment with the company.

Bob's Discount Furniture Response

Nov 10, 2017 – Regional HR Director

We wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for the comment you posted on Glassdoor. We’ve worked hard to create this atmosphere, and if it changes, please let us know. We know the managers and... More

2. "Regional Manager"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager

I have been working at Bob's Discount Furniture full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent company culture with a true passion for people! Very humble and approachable leadership at all levels within the organization. The core values of the company and continued growth make it a truly incredible place to work.

Cons

Only cons are the challenges that come with growth and opportunity to have enough talented leaders to maintain the culture and brand.

3. "Excellent Experience"

Former Employee - Department Head in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Department Head in Chicago, IL

I worked at Bob's Discount Furniture full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible Schedule you can choose when to work

Cons

A bit understaffed, a bit overwhelming somedays

4. "Hello Bob!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Bob's Discount Furniture full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great employee discount on the first day of employment

Cons

Employees are rewarded by who they know in the organization instead of their accomplishment

Advice to Management

Management should lead by example "walk the talk". In addition don't over sell the culture since each location has its own personality.

5. "Great, fun, honest company that truly cares!"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Saint Ann, MO
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Saint Ann, MO

I have been working at Bob's Discount Furniture full-time

Pros

Work-life balance, fun atmosphere, growth potential. Company expanding across the country and will have over 100 stores! Excited for what the future brings.

Cons

A lot of on the job training and learning yourself. Also, like any retail business, customers can be tough and entitled.

Advice to Management

Protect the Bob’s Brand

6. "Excellent company"

Current Employee - Sales Support Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Support Manager

I have been working at Bob's Discount Furniture full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive pay, benefits, great atmosphere, wonderful people, and an incredible culture.

Cons

Work life balance is a bit tough, but that's normal in retail. Salary managers are expected to work on open to close (14 hour) shift per week which seems unnecessary.

Advice to Management

Some more means performance management/monitoring for your managers would probably be beneficial. You have some dead weight clogging the upward mobility that you probably wouldn't realize if you're not in the store regularly.

7. "Area manager"

I have been working at Bob's Discount Furniture full-time

Pros

It’s all about the people. Great company that is always looking to do what’s right for their employees.

Cons

I wish I had made the move over to Bob’s years ago. Don’t wait!!!

8. "Commission sales with 8 hour shifts"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Bob's Discount Furniture full-time

Pros

Coming from other furniture/mattress companies that require 11 or 12 hour shifts it was great to have a better work life balance. No sales = no re tagging the store for every promotion. In stock merchandise for quick deliveries.

Cons

They are open until 10pm. Management's hands are pretty tied for appeasement for errors or delays.

Advice to Management

There seems to be no reason to stay open until 10 pm. Very rarely does a customer come in after 8pm.

9. "Sales is all that matters."

I have been working at Bob's Discount Furniture full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unique benefits, turkeys for thanksgiving, hardship loans. Room to advance if you want to go into sales.

Cons

The company does not care for any of the none sales employees in the stores. The pay is really bad unless you are in sales and are willing to be shady.

Advice to Management

Realize that it takes a Team to make a retail company great. If you don’t care then why should we.

10. "A top furniture retailer!"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Springfield, PA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Springfield, PA

I have been working at Bob's Discount Furniture full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Worked here less than a year but I have many years of working in this industry. I totally recommend others in the industry to give Bob's a good look when thinking of making changes in their careers.
    The ups through the door are many. The floor isn't flooded yet manned properly for the best customer experience.
    The Bob's message is loud and clear a valued product at a value price. The staff are sales professional and management is supportive. This company, as others, say they appreciate their associates and customers, and the truth be told they honestly do and display that everyday.
    If you put in the work and focus you can make a good living.
    I wish I had been with them years ago.

Cons

The software system used doesn't give an easy snap shot of the daily sales and is a bit difficult to track your orders and customers quickly and in real time. I believe this is an easy fix and they will improve it. That's the kind of company this is.

Advice to Management

Keep working at making the team and the everyday atmosphere a great place to come into everyday and also having each and everyone understanding and caring for one another.