Bob's Discount Furniture Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Bob's Discount Furniture President and CEO Michael Skirvin
Michael Skirvin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good people to work with, fair pay, good benefits" (in 13 reviews)

• "Great place to work and feel accomplished" (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "work weekends, and upper management doesn't not communicate with lower management" (in 10 reviews)

• "Work life balance is a bit tough, but that's normal in retail" (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Cockeysville, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Cockeysville, MD

I have been working at Bob's Discount Furniture full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has great core values that align with my personal values - integrity and transparency being the most important to me. The mattresses are such excellent quality product that I can feel really good about representing and I enjoy this area the most- But really it's about the customers. A lot of foot traffic gives me a chance to get a little glimpse into the lives of all that I speak to - and to me these customers' stories are fascinating. I enjoy the people and Bobs gives me the platform in which to have a connection with them while earning a great living. The product sells itself which allows for very minimal stress on the job. When I go home, I leave my work at work.

The company has a pretty good paid time off benefit after completing a year of employment. I believe it's like a total of almost 4 weeks off which is nice.

Bob's promotes from within often so there are lots of opportunities for advancement - especially is you are available to relocate.

Cons

Work life balance can be challenging due to retail hours.
    There aren't any cons past the demands of the retail schedule.

Advice to Management

For a sales associate position consider implementing a rotating weekend off per month (if the employee wants it) as so many other companies do. I truly believe this would give the employee a refreshed outlook and also bring in a larger quantity of qualified candidates seeking employment with the company.

Nov 10, 2017 – Regional HR Director

We wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for the comment you posted on Glassdoor. We’ve worked hard to create this atmosphere, and if it changes, please let us know. We know the managers and... More

2. "Great environment to be honest sales person"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Bob's Discount Furniture full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

no pressure, due to foot traffic can easily achieve personal goal

Cons

delivery drivers can ruin all relationship that was built with customers

Jun 15, 2018 – Zone Vice President

Thank you for taking the time to share your Bob's experience with us. We are happy to see that you are having a good experience with us and that your achieving your goals! Considering the number of... More

"Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Huntington Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Huntington Beach, CA

I have been working at Bob's Discount Furniture part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The store management, the culture and the great working conditions make me look forward to going to work each day.

Cons

The POS system is clunky and slow. The tablets we carry are heavy, bulky, slow and unreliable. Not sure if it's the internet connection or slow servers.

Advice to Management

I advise that corporate use the Huntington Beach management team, Cameo, Eileen and Xavier be used as an example of how a solid management team can run a smooth retail operation while at the same time creating a fun and challenging workplace environment.

4. "Great Place to work"

Pros

Great place to work and feel accomplished

Cons

The hours are a little long for the pay

Jun 15, 2018 – Zone Vice President

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to see that you enjoyed working with us and found it rewarding. We are always looking for ways to make working at Bob's Fun, exciting and rewarding. Thank... More

5. "Sales associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bridgeport, CT
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bridgeport, CT

I worked at Bob's Discount Furniture full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Positive atmosphere, great employee morale, awesome incentives and opportunities for growth with the company.

Cons

None that I could think. I left because I was pursuing my MBA. Thanks for the opportunity

Advice to Management

Keep it up, Bob’s way is the right way!

Jun 15, 2018 – Zone Vice President

Thank you for your feedback! We wish you the best in your pursuit of your MBA and hope you consider our other career opportunities when you are ready to come back to the workforce.

6. "Swag"

I worked at Bob's Discount Furniture part-time

Pros

this place is dope if you can work here

Cons

literally none if im being honest

Advice to Management

keep up the good work

Jun 15, 2018 – Zone Vice President

Having swag is important in this day and age. We're happy to see that you are having a great Bob's experience and want to thank you for the words of encouragement!

"Great atmosphere and no pressure envirement"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Bob's Discount Furniture full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are no pressure on customers and no pressure from managment. It is more of challenges that makes you want be better in what you do. You dont have to lie or make it look better than what it is to the customer. Delivery time frame is quick, so you get your commissions really fast . Some cases sales associates make more than managers.

Cons

If you are not people person, it is not for you.

Advice to Management

Managment gets hired from outside and there are so many associates that been with business and understand floor policy and so on.

Jun 15, 2018 – Zone Vice President

Thank you for taking the time out to express your thoughts, and for being a valued member of our Team! At Bob’s we strive to create a fun, low-pressure sales environment where our customers are... More

8. "Company is growing and has a great business plan for the future!"

I have been working at Bob's Discount Furniture full-time

Pros

Amazing People, Great atmosphere, Beautiful stores, Fun environment, Excellent training!

Cons

Computer system will take a bit to master.

Jun 15, 2018 – Zone Vice President

We are so happy to hear that you are having a great experience working at Bob's! We are investing in technology to make both our customer and associate experience a lot easier, so please stay... More

9. "Retail sales consultant"

I have been working at Bob's Discount Furniture full-time

Pros

Money to be made

Cons

retail, dealing with general public

Advice to Management

Promote from within

10. "Someone who used to love his job"

I have been working at Bob's Discount Furniture full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very lucrative job if you happen to be blessed with a low budget or if you had a miserable LY. Everything is measured against your LY performance therefore bad LY= Decent bonus TY. Managers have zero control over results. One year you are an underperformer the next you are a super star! This will be a great job as long as you like roller coasters!

Cons

Bob’s has lost control of the direction of their business. The private equity firm is actively involved and that can be a good thing. But it can also means losing control of basic elements of the business like setting strategy, lowering the quality of their products, losing the trust and the partnership of different manufacturers to appease stock holders, etc. Bob’s doesn’t value diversity furthermore, their shortsighted vision can be very dangerous to the overall health of the organization.

Advice to Management

By design, your growth plan use significant amounts of debt to perform deals in financial markets. This can be damaging not only to the company but also to the stake holders. Stop saddling debt, while draining the business of all its cash before selling in a couple of years or sending Bob’s into bankruptcy protection. Also, as you continue to grow watch carefully who you hire to be your leaders. There’s a huge disconnect between your leaders and your “core” values.