Bob's Discount Furniture Store Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

4.9
Bob's Discount Furniture President and CEO Michael Skirvin
Michael Skirvin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people, somewhat laid back atmosphere, good benefits (in 12 reviews)

• Great place to work, we aren't just numbers on a report (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • No diversity in upper management (in 10 reviews)

• sales associates, store should close earlier) (in 9 reviews)

1. "It's like family!"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Bob's Discount Furniture full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company culture is caring, winning, and fun! Great place to work, we aren't just numbers on a report. I have found a home and hope to retire here!

Cons

None! Keep growing and maintain the culture!

2. "Love being a part of the Bob's Family"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bob's Discount Furniture full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Worked there since August 2015. Fast paced with rapid growth opportunities. High % are promoted from within. Benefits are excellent. Very diverse in people.
     Love the culture and the professional environment. Executives are smart, positive and very supportive. I have grown a lot professionally and Bob's Discount Furniture is the company I would like to retire with.

Cons

Can't really think of any. It's nice working for a company that has such a solid business model.

Advice to Management

Keep that personal one on one feeling as we grow to over a 100 stores in the upcoming year. And definitely keep the fun!

3. "Phenomenal company to work for...a true family"

I have been working at Bob's Discount Furniture full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The greatest company I've ever worked for, relocated several times due to our expansion, and have grown within the company to my current position. Executive leadership is top notch, they truly care about the people, and don't elevate themselves. When the CEO visits the store, he spends more time with line level associates than management. Impressive. I have nothing negative to say about the company and wouldn't be surprised if it is one of the top companies to work for in the not so distant future.

Cons

If I can think of anything, it would be at times, we run into opportunities due to our rapid growth, but the positives far outweigh the negatives.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Don't change as we grow. Keep the family that is Bob's. We make it happen!

4. "Amazing company Incredible People"

Current Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Bob's Discount Furniture full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Potential for those who are both QUALIFIED and interested in growth and development with a solid organization is immense. Family atmosphere at every level with professional approach to business , Elevated experience toward customers caring toward associates and supportive towards its leaders. Philanthropic and inspirational in the community. Everything perception is based on first hand knowledge and experience. No company is perfect. But they learn as they grow. Bobs is not only open to new ideas and feedback the organization makes efforts to put great ideas and feedback in play. I have nothing but the utmost respect for every single member of this organization from the highest level and rank right on down to the teams that handle our freight. This company is congruent ! And they are what they say they are. Some may feel different to those I can only say Look in the Mirror and not out the window.

Cons

If I posted something here I'd be trying to dig deep to find something. It used to be development but they've made and incredible impact in that arena very recently through an outstanding internal gem. So currently I'd say this company is on the right track and destined to be ranked among the top companies to work with.

Advice to Management

Continue to challenge people at every level of the talent pool. Keep doing what you're doing and never lose sight of who we are. We don't work at Bobs Discount furniture and we don't work For Bobs Discount Furniture. WE ARE BOBS DISCOUNT FURNITURE.

"Sales"

Current Employee - Store Manager

Pros

Great door turn is great and a very highly stock level for immediate delivery

Cons

It's mainly Commission based and can be challenging some months requires high balance in personal budget management

Advice to Management

Very often the company believes in advancing internally to keep the culture alive

Bob's Discount Furniture Response

Sep 8, 2017 – Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We strive to give our customers the best experience everyday without relying on phony gimmicks to drive traffic through our doors. Our... More

6. "Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Southington, CT
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Southington, CT

I have been working at Bob's Discount Furniture full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Growing company with solid management

Cons

Retail schedule and daily commute

Advice to Management

Work life balence

"Outstanding Company"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Manchester, CT
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Manchester, CT

I worked at Bob's Discount Furniture (Less than a year)

Pros

There is nothing not to like about this company. Very Compassionate, Unlimited income, and Unlimited potential.

Cons

Promises are not always kept and sometimes a blind eye is turned if you are well liked in the company. No weekends off.

"Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Freehold, NJ
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Freehold, NJ

I worked at Bob's Discount Furniture full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bob's Discount Furniture was so great, I actually fought to return after making the mistake of leaving. Everyone treats you as family and knows you by name.

Cons

As they get larger, they are bringing in more people from the outside, diluting the culture that made them so strong to begin with.

9. "Best company I have EVER worked for."

Former Employee - Store Manager in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Hartford, CT

I worked at Bob's Discount Furniture full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Everyone from the top down has a say in the day to day business. Business is great. Money to be had at all levels. Even pay incentives for office and warehouse staff based on sales.

Cons

Focus on the training for everyone below management but nothing to train management themselves.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing. This is a rocket ship ready to take off. I'll miss you guys when I'm down south.

"From the penthouse to the outhouse"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Bob's Discount Furniture full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pre-2006 they were a wonderful family friendly company that was a joy to work for. Pay was fantastic and the enviorment though high pressure was fun. Original ownership and upper management were supportive and really made a difference.
    They developed the talent pool and and promoted the stand outs who paid their dues.
    Post- 2006 the company sold 70% to apex and they brought in upper management and ceo from non furniture industries.

Cons

Post-2006 the company slowly started to change for the worse. Every Wedensday for about 6 months we called "doomsday" because another "bob's guy" bit the dust . We lost some really good people a long the way. Some though deserved to be replaced but not in the ruthless manor it was handled.In 2008 the new vp of sales " from a cd sales company" and the ceo "from a clothing and nick nack chain started bringing in more of the good ole' boys from thier former places of leadership and handing them high paying upper management positions. This without any furniture experience at all. epic fail. Soon the company was a battleground filed with self promoting chest pounders who did nothiing but steal money from the company for thier pathetic ethics and judgement.

Advice to Management

Get rid of Ted and Ron's great adventure and bring in real furniture pro's who can re-shape and save the sinking ship that is Bob's.