Bodybuilding.com Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Jul 2, 2021

Found 14 of over 223 reviews

2.4
Bodybuilding.com CEO   Jas Krdzalic
Jas Krdzalic

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "Poor planning and management.(in 20 reviews)
  • "His regular temper tantrums and fits of rage, often end in the firing of his own leadership that he brought in, blaming them instead of taking ownership of his poor leadership and decision making.(in 12 reviews)
  • "The employee turnover rate is astronomical, even without the layoffs they just went through.(in 11 reviews)
  • "As most of the other reviews elude to, these individuals are put into these roles based on friendships and a 'bro culture'.(in 11 reviews)
  • "Below average pay.(in 8 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Bodybuilding.com and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Amazing company culture

Apr 12, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID
    Business Outlook

Pros

The company work/life balance is amazing. Great benefits, management is fantastic.

Cons

Pay is below market average. Communication could be better between all departments.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 3.0
    Former Employee

Overall just ok

Apr 19, 2021 - Compliance
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits and work life balance. Unlimited PTO and flexible schedule

Cons

Pay wasn't great and opportunities to advance started lacking

3. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Good place until it wasn't

Jul 2, 2021 - Front End Developer in Meridian, ID
    Business Outlook

Pros

Health Ins, work-life balance, FTO

Cons

Layoffs, poor management decisions, and low pay.

4. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Overall, it was a good experience.

Sep 2, 2020 - Team Leader in Boise, ID
    Business Outlook

Pros

Leadership listens. Work life balance.

Cons

Company doesn't seem to know where they are headed. HR is a joke.

1 person found this review helpful
  5. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Don't waste your time

Sep 1, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Decent pay and benefits (for Boise market) - Flexible WFH - Pretty good work/life balance

Cons

Truly terrible upper management was allowed to stay in place for over a year, despite constant reports to HR of sexism, disrespect, and incompetence. In the last year, I've seen two acquisitions, two layoff waves (of ~40 and ~75 people), and literal dozens of voluntary departures. New middle/upper management is hired every couple months, upon which we scrap the cumulative "vision" of the last collection of managers and start working on a new "vision." Meanwhile, longstanding systemic problems continue to compound, with fewer and fewer resources left to fix them. Long story short, this company has no future. Look elsewhere.

9 people found this review helpful
  6. 4.0
    Former Employee

Innovative, Fast Paced, Great Company... mostly

Oct 7, 2016 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

The benefits at the time were pretty great with 401k matching, good medical, dental, and vision options. The benefits extended to the onsite gym, unlimited flex time off, great work life balance and flexibility and a very high trust environment. They have some very talented people that do a great job of leading their teams to success and quality software in innovative and exciting ways.

Cons

If you don't fit the culture or if you get one of the few bad managers the amazing culture can quickly turn a bit hostile and bit you. At least one of their engineering managers is still struggling to lead well and has ruined the culture for many on his teams.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  7. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Mid Level Manager

Nov 25, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

The company is very employee friendly, very good work life balance. No ones works too hard. Pay is decent for the area. Good stepping stone company to build your resume.

Cons

It is a bro club; very unprofessional. If you don't fit the culture you will not move up. Company changes and improvements move incredibly slow. Systems built in house severely limit company potential. Management focus seems to always be on the "shiny objects" not on actual business improvements. Career ceiling is low.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Evolving into a great place to work as it grows.

Oct 5, 2013 - Software Engineer in Boise, ID
    Business Outlook

Pros

Awesome culture. Trusting environment until you show you can't be trusted. Super smart and highly skilled coworkers. Great work life balance as no more regularly working 50+ hour weeks. Top of the line in-house gym.

Cons

Flat hierarchy with limited room for advancement. Quick to fire or lay people off, have seen more people fired than everywhere else I have worked combined.

10 people found this review helpful
  9. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Director

Oct 23, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good work/life balance. Free gym membership (plus they have an AWESOME gym at corporate headquarters), lots of free supplements plus great discount if you order from the store. Great benefits, and I loved my boss (CMO). I heard new management is taking over, and to me, that's a good thing! They are located in Boise, which is an area that has a very low cost of living. So even though you may get paid less, you still have a lot of discretionary income at the end of the day.

Cons

The pay is way below market standards - at least for my position. They work very, very slowly. I've never seen such a large development team get so little done. There were also a lot of slackers at this company who took 2 hour lunches, or worked out in the middle of the day for over an hour, or left early when there's work to be done. It was easy to hide your laziness in this company. On the flip side, I was ready and willing to work and contribute and got put off, with nothing to do. I had to find work to do and offered my services to numerous departments. There are some people who would be okay with too little to do but I was extremely unhappy about this! For one, I couldn't show them how talented I am. For another, a person needs to make a meaningful contribution to their company for job satisfaction, so I was not happy for most of my time there. I was, as several coworkers often said "a serious waste of talent." I couldn't agree more! They could have gotten SO much out of me, but never took advantage of it. Another thing I didn't like was the bro culture there. If you were in with the hardcore exercise crowd, you were taken seriously and more likely to get promoted (especially muscular women). If you weren't, forget about being heard. I don't even think this was consciously done. But management has a responsibility to be more aware of this type of culture.

6 people found this review helpful
  10. 4.0
    Current Employee

Great Starting Position

Feb 20, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits. The work-life balance is utterly amazing, along with the company supporting fitness and health.

Cons

Lack of career development. This is a great starting point to leap off to a different company down the road.

1 person found this review helpful