Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals Reviews in Ridgefield, CT | Glassdoor

Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals Chairman of the Board Dr Andreas Barner
Dr Andreas Barner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management was not transparent (in 28 reviews)

• Incredibly lean organization with no work life balance (in 11 reviews)

1. "Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ridgefield, CT

I have been working at Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great management, great benefits, good work-life balance!

Cons

There have been frequent re-orgs and layoffs

2. "Good bones, but struggling"

Former Employee - Director in Ridgefield, CT
    Former Employee - Director in Ridgefield, CT

I worked at Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work itself is rewarding. The PTO is generous, working remotely is acceptable. At the beginning of my tenure I enjoyed much management support: training, education, exposure to important projects however support decreased substantially as management seemed unable to address mounting financial and commercial pressure. Benefits package is good albeit average for the pharma industry - employee contribution toward healthcare was steep. Employees are truly committed to the work and the mission but the execution at the executive level has struggled in the past several years. I wish them success in their restructuring efforts.

Cons

Disproportionate level of dysfunction compared to other companies for whom I have worked. Work/life balance for my department was atrocious. 15 hour days became routine and expected. Everything, literally everything, is urgent and panic driven. Lack of direction and focus at the executive level. Struggling to put together a sustainable, cohesive strategy. Currently drained of historical/top talent due to seemingly endless layoffs. Not much support for new talent onboarding.

3. "Pros and Con"

Current Employee - Scientist in Ridgefield, CT
    Current Employee - Scientist in Ridgefield, CT

Pros

Decent benefits and flexible hours.

Cons

Things take very long time to happen.

Advice to Management

Please have a more prompt decision making process and better transparency.

4. "Scientist II"

Former Employee - Research Scientist in Ridgefield, CT
    Former Employee - Research Scientist in Ridgefield, CT

I worked at Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours, good benefits and salaries

Cons

No career development opportunities. Management does not career if you grow.

Advice to Management

Help people within BI advance in their careers

"Excellent, ethical company with extremely talented mid-management employees"

Current Employee - Director in Ridgefield, CT
    Current Employee - Director in Ridgefield, CT

I have been working at Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Of all the companies that I've worked at, BI is by far the most ethically driven company. Although it's a large company and at large companies a person can feel like a cog in the wheel, this isn't the case at BI. Employees are friendly and very respectful. In addition to the positive environment, the work is quite stimulating and challenging. Overall, project teams work well together and members seek out expertise and input from colleagues.

Benefits are very good, and salary (at least in my professional) is on par with someone with my experience and skills. In my group, the organization is relatively flat which allows members to get visibility. Although, our Team works relatively lean so at times the work environment can be stressful.

Cons

Although Fairfield county/Ridgefield, is beautiful, there is little to do and the cost of living is very expensive. I think the location makes it a challenge for the Company to recruit talented folk. When you have interesting and vibrant cities like Boston and Cambridge nearby, BI is at a distinct disadvantage recruiting compared to Shire, Biogen Idec, Vertex, etc... BI has to do a better job at promoting the virtues of the Company. I've worked at one of those companies, and BI is definitely better with respect to work environment and challenging work.

As others have noted, the Company is very conservative, and the US business seems to be in the shadow of the German headquarters. The cultures are quite different - the US being more agile and transparent. Hopefully the German management will recognize the benefits of being more agile - I've never worked at a company that had so many layers of approvals and redundant meetings.

Last but not least, compared to other similarly sized companies, the pipeline seems way too lean. Just doesn't seem like there is cutting edge research going on. I hope this changes in the near future - it's probably a consequence of the risk adverse nature of the BI owners and senior leadership.

Advice to Management

Since you can't move the Company, make the Company more alluring to potential talent. The company is excellent, so do a better job at promoting it.

6. "Decent but could be better!"

Current Intern - Scientist in Ridgefield, CT
    Current Intern - Scientist in Ridgefield, CT

I have been working at Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals as an intern (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flex hours & good benefits, problem is only big Pharma in the area!

Cons

Ultra conservative management. No decision is good decision. Always reactive and never proactive management style. Culture breeds incompetency !

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to roll up their sleeves and cut down their meetings and get In touch with what's happening in the lab!

"US Medical Compliance Org has high turnover"

Current Employee - Senior Associate Director in Ridgefield, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Associate Director in Ridgefield, CT

I have been working at Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Compliance managers in other countries are great! Company has decent benefits but are getting worse. Family owned, not influenced by market conditions.

Cons

Very poor management both globally and US org. Recently a majority of the US org has left. Management micromanaged and has no leadership skills. Also think the whole organization is being trimmed down to a tipping point where there is not enough resources to get the work done. This puts tremendous pressure on those working there. Seen several people go out on Medical leaves.

Advice to Management

Address the issues at hand. Will take quite a bit of time to rebuild the organization. A lot of knowledge and experience has walked out the door.

8. "Transformation"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ridgefield, CT

I have been working at Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

work life balance is ideal

Cons

dysfunctional management, struggling with change.

Advice to Management

Stability? Please.

9. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Ridgefield, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Ridgefield, CT

Pros

Great salary, facilities, benefits and career opportunity

Cons

Its in CT. Not many things to go or do on weekends

"Medical"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ridgefield, CT

Pros

Allows work schedule flexibility in most areas and decent benefits

Cons

Incredibly lean organization with no work life balance

Advice to Management

value your employees more than the bottom line