Boeing Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Boeing CEO Dennis A. Muilenburg
Dennis A. Muilenburg

Pros
Cons
  • Work/Life balance not the greatest with all the pressure (in 102 reviews)

• Seems to be a disconnect between upper management and the folks actually doing the work (in 88 reviews)

1. "Boeing will own you"

Former Employee - Assembler Installer General B in Everett, WA
    Former Employee - Assembler Installer General B in Everett, WA

I worked at Boeing full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits and good pay. For the most part the people there are amazing and do amazing things. I used to have pride in our products, but the management team ruined the quality of those too.

Cons

Management turns people against each other. They trick people into ratting on each other to save their own jobs. The company also leverages benefits against your job and ends up chipping away at the benefits that used to be great.
    Every time things ran smoothly, a new executive team would find a way to disrupt it and soon everyone is doing tons of overtime and there are defects left and right.

Advice to Management

I would give advice but they don't listen. It is clear that their main focus is to attain maximum bonus even if those arbitrary metrics require sacrificing quality and efficiency in the manufacturing process.

2. "Great Potential, But Poor Direction"

Current Employee - Finance Analyst I in Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Finance Analyst I in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at Boeing full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is a lot of potential in the company right now. A lot of flexibility in work location and job types, and the benefits are fantastic in most of the company

Cons

The company is best for young people, but it is still focused heavily on the aging workforce. The planning and direction is very confused at the moment, and rampant cost-cutting initiatives have wildly varying degrees of success. Also, the Ethics department is a joke whose sole responsibility is to protect the brand.

Advice to Management

Protect the employees. All the executive leaders in the world mean nothing if you constantly lose talented people because the company refuses competitive pay or a good work-life balance.

"Structures Design Engineer"

Current Employee - Strucures Design Engineer in Everett, WA
    Current Employee - Strucures Design Engineer in Everett, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Diverse Opportunities, good pay, good benefits, professional union. Relaxed atmosphere compared to east-coast companies.

Cons

Have you read Dilbert? All the usual big corporation issues. Non-professional management is spotty; they have what they bring to the job - Boeing doesn't train or mentor them much. They do tend to have good technical backgrounds, but those may not relate to their current assignment (or You). Some of the younger guys complain about the lack of personal bennies, like no free coffee; Boeing is NOT like Google or even Microsoft in that way.

Advice to Management

Get some training! Give some training! OJT is a real thing!

5. "Information Security"

Current Employee - Information Security Analyst in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Information Security Analyst in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours provide a better work life balance than other companies.

Cons

Promotions are more political than about skill or how you work with peers. Feeling valued is difficult to come by.

"Everett"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Everett, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Everett, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's exciting to get to work around airplane production lines that serve worldwide customers. Work/life balance is fair. Good benefits package with Christmas to New Year time period off.

Cons

I was initially thrilled to get to work at Boeing and hoped to have a long and varied career there. A couple of key areas have changed my mind:

Accountability - too many ineffective managers are constantly moved around and reassigned to new areas despite lack of performance. This is troublesome when we were told staffing reductions would be made across the board, yet we've seen no managers affected. In non-management areas, some employees spend full days doing anything but work. It's fascinating that some can sit and watch television programs on their computers during their shift, surf the internet, etc. as if having no work to do or any concern that their manager or others know this. The same few people are called on to do the actual work, then others on the team stand up to take the credit in front of leadership. Don't bother raising any of these concerns with Human Resources - they will take statements and "investigate," but the behavior does not change.

Opportunities - the company is undergoing multiple rounds of layoffs, which has created a toxic environment and culture where people are perpetually stressed. That said, you can be told you are doing next-level work and absorb higher-level statements of work from employees who have left Boeing, but will then be told you can't be given a level promotion for who knows how long because of the state of the company. I'm not sure how the company can preach people development and career growth with that reasoning and expect employees will stay.

Advice to Management

Address and communicate news with employees first; don't let the media be the ones to tell your employees about major changes within the company. Take note of the droves of people leaving the company to go work for places like Amazon.

"Possibility of full time employment has decreased immensely"

Former Employee - Designer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Designer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Boeing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good Pension, VIP(voluntary investment matches) and Health benefits

Cons

Unless you're senior management or an Engineer, you're probably not going to get hired full time. They've been replacing full-time employees with 32/hr week contractors.

Advice to Management

Boeing is management heavy. Need to reduce the amount of 'leadership teams' They are totally out of touch with employees.

"A Stagnant Behemoth"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Boeing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Job Security - If you're an engineer and you can avoid doing an absolutely terrible job, then you're pretty much guaranteed to keep your job. You don't even have to necessarily be competent. Just show up and make at least some progress and you'll tick the boxes for meeting expectations on your annual review.

Name Recognition - Some future employers may be impressed by the presence of "Boeing" on your resume.

Decent Benefits - Health, Dental, Life, 401k matching

Cons

Pay - Not competitive. At least, not in the long run. They might hook you with what seems like a decent salary, and then essentially lock you in at that pay rate with only marginal increases from year to year (averaging around 2%). The only way to get a decent raise is to get a promotion, which brings me to...

Advancement - If you're looking for an opportunity for advancement, look elsewhere, especially if you're early in your career. Also, if you think promotions should be based on performance or skills, then you'll be sadly disappointed - promotions are strictly based on criteria such as number of years with the company. Sure, performance plays a small part in the promotion process, but you have to clear all the seniority hurdles first. When I left the company, they had essentially implemented a "promotion freeze" by raising the mandatory minimum threshold required for advancement. It didn't matter what level you were performing at - if they hired you on at Level I, you were locked in at that pay grade for a minimum number of years before they would even consider granting you a promotion, even if you were performing the work of a Level II or III engineer.

Resources - If you need a faster workstation to do your job better, good luck. You're not getting a faster workstation until your current one's contract expires. It doesn't even matter if its obsolete and totally ill-suited for the tasks you perform in your daily job. Need an additional monitor to maximize your productivity? Well, tough - you're going to have to expend all of your social capital just getting one of those. Yes, its a $300 purchase that will net the company thousands of dollars in increased productivity, but the bean-counters don't care about intangibles like that. Need a VM to run some automated testing? Be prepared to wait months for permission to be granted. Need a relatively cheap software license to help you do your job? Get ready to spend weeks waiting for permission from various managers. Need a free software license to help you do your job? You'll still need to ask and wait for permission to get one of those.

Innovation (or lack thereof) - Know of a better tool or process that would be orders of magnitude better than the one you're currently using? That's nice - keep it to yourself, because the monolithically-minded folks at Boeing aren't interested in letting you innovate by trying something different. You're supposed to do what everyone else does, even if its bad or inefficient. They even came up with a slogan for it - the "One Boeing" strategy. It was probably well-intended - drive costs down by not re-inventing the wheel on every project. But it was poorly implemented - the gigantic management pyramid somehow took that directive to mean "squash any suggestion of doing something differently", which conveniently fits with the natural tendency of any large organization to resist changes. It wouldn't matter if the thing you were suggesting had already been solidly proven effective by other companies - the default answer would remain "No".

Meetings - Oh, the meetings. If you enjoy them, then you're in luck. If you're convinced that collaboration is the key to getting work done, then you'll be more than happy with attending hours upon hours of meetings each week, collaborating over what needs to be done while never actually making any progress on what needs to be done. If, however, you're someone who actually needs to spend time alone doing actual work on a project in order to come anywhere close to completing it, then you'll probably be frustrated by all the time spent talking about doing things. It took leaving the company and moving on to new opportunities for me to realize just how much time was wasted on meetings during my two years at Boeing.

Note: My experiences may not be typical of Boeing in general. Boeing is, after all, a very large organization. But I can say with confidence that my experiences were very much typical for the division I was working in. I'm sure there are some places within Boeing that don't suffer from the typical maladies of a large organization, but I would venture to guess that such places only exist within the confines of Boeing's favored child, Phantom Works.

Advice to Management

Ditch the rigid seniority-based pay and promotion scale - it's chasing away your future top talent soon after you hire them. Abandon the aversion toward developing software in-house. Give your engineers the freedom to explore new processes and technologies. Remove the obstacles to procuring tools and software for employees. Stop sacrificing internal process innovation on the altar of the budgetary bottom line.

9. "Not All That It Seems"

Current Employee - Staff Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Staff Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Boeing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent compensation and great health insurance

Cons

Struggling culture and top heavy management structure

"Please modernize."

Current Employee - Systems Engineering Tech in Everett, WA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineering Tech in Everett, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Health insurance, only 40 hours per week, small pockets of people who want to make things better.

Cons

Bureaucracy, cynical culture, failure to adapt to the modern world. Those with hope are beaten down and those beaten down beat others down. The culture is primarily negative, except a few people I've met who do a great job of making their teams positive. They are against the current, however, and I've seen them ousted frequently. Boeing is full of politics. From team leads to VPs, it's a battle for power and clout more than a coordinated effort to build great technology.

Advice to Management

Reduce the structure and the policies. Change hiring practices to get motivated, enthusiastic, and highly technically skilled employees. Stop resisting modern technology. Put technical people in leadership. Drop the attitude that Boeing is better than the rest of the industry. We are WAY behind in terms of the tools we have available. Empower employees at the very bottom. Allow those employees to follow their work through to fix the "throw it over the wall" mentality of the highly siloed teams. Start measuring the cultural change you want. Don't try to make changes you can't measure.

11. "Think twice"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time

Pros

Pay and benefits are good

Cons

Don't believe the standard line about the fact that since it's a big company, you have options to move around. This is rarely true, as you're experience has to match pretty well to transfer.

Many employees are nearly worthless, having learned for years they can get away with non-accountability and not pushing themselves such that they honestly believe when you give them honest feedback to improve that you are trying to be disrespectful.
    It amazes me that we can possibly stay in business with all the dead weight.
    Assignments are often vague and aligned with strategy, but not practical daily work.

Advice to Management

Start getting real about the number of people actually needed and start encouraging accountability between employees. Take the time to assure you are giving people real work to do.

Showing 591 of 5,562 reviews