Boeing Reviews | Glassdoor

5,000 reviews

Full-time Part-time

5,000 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Say goodbye to your work life balance (in 99 reviews)

• Seems to be a disconnect between upper management and the folks actually doing the work (in 87 reviews)

1. "Electrical Engineer"

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Huntington Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Huntington Beach, CA

I have been working at Boeing full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent company to work for. Best benefits around and great career opportunities.

Cons

Typical large company draw backs

2. "Procurement Agent"

Current Employee - Procurement Agent in Everett, WA
    Current Employee - Procurement Agent in Everett, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of interesting work to do and flexibility to move around the company.

Cons

Things move very slow within the company.

3. "Information Security Engineer"

Current Employee - Information Security Engineer in Huntington Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Information Security Engineer in Huntington Beach, CA

I have been working at Boeing full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great salary, health benefits and 401K plan. Mostly great co-workers.

Cons

Overzealous focus on safety to the point of being ridiculous; management with little to no interpersonal skills; opportunities in Southern California are dwindling

Advice to Management

Leading is an important aspect of managing your employees

5. "El Segundo site"

Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Boeing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most people are friendly. The benefits are great.

Cons

The company is highly bureaucratic and doesn't adapt to change well. Leadership is out of touch with current trends. Few opportunities for career growth.

6. "Not All That It Seems"

Current Employee - Staff Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Staff Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Boeing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent compensation and great health insurance

Cons

Struggling culture and top heavy management structure

7. "Union Worker"

Former Employee - Union Worker in Everett, WA
    Former Employee - Union Worker in Everett, WA

I worked at Boeing full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent Benefits and Pay. Hyper cool industry to be a part of. Even after 9 years - the sheer awesomeness of helping build giant airplanes was never lost on me.

Cons

If you become employed there and find it unfulfilling, just know that it will be a VERY difficult decision to give up those benefits and pay in order to pursue other things in life that may make you happier. So many folks there are experiencing this and it can sometimes make for a pretty negative work environment. Just remember: Don't let them break your spirit!

8. "A Stagnant Behemoth"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Boeing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Job Security - If you're an engineer and you can avoid doing an absolutely terrible job, then you're pretty much guaranteed to keep your job. You don't even have to necessarily be competent. Just show up and make at least some progress and you'll tick the boxes for meeting expectations on your annual review.

Name Recognition - Some future employers may be impressed by the presence of "Boeing" on your resume.

Decent Benefits - Health, Dental, Life, 401k matching

Cons

Pay - Not competitive. At least, not in the long run. They might hook you with what seems like a decent salary, and then essentially lock you in at that pay rate with only marginal increases from year to year (averaging around 2%). The only way to get a decent raise is to get a promotion, which brings me to...

Advancement - If you're looking for an opportunity for advancement, look elsewhere, especially if you're early in your career. Also, if you think promotions should be based on performance or skills, then you'll be sadly disappointed - promotions are strictly based on criteria such as number of years with the company. Sure, performance plays a small part in the promotion process, but you have to clear all the seniority hurdles first. When I left the company, they had essentially implemented a "promotion freeze" by raising the mandatory minimum threshold required for advancement. It didn't matter what level you were performing at - if they hired you on at Level I, you were locked in at that pay grade for a minimum number of years before they would even consider granting you a promotion, even if you were performing the work of a Level II or III engineer.

Resources - If you need a faster workstation to do your job better, good luck. You're not getting a faster workstation until your current one's contract expires. It doesn't even matter if its obsolete and totally ill-suited for the tasks you perform in your daily job. Need an additional monitor to maximize your productivity? Well, tough - you're going to have to expend all of your social capital just getting one of those. Yes, its a $300 purchase that will net the company thousands of dollars in increased productivity, but the bean-counters don't care about intangibles like that. Need a VM to run some automated testing? Be prepared to wait months for permission to be granted. Need a relatively cheap software license to help you do your job? Get ready to spend weeks waiting for permission from various managers. Need a free software license to help you do your job? You'll still need to ask and wait for permission to get one of those.

Innovation (or lack thereof) - Know of a better tool or process that would be orders of magnitude better than the one you're currently using? That's nice - keep it to yourself, because the monolithically-minded folks at Boeing aren't interested in letting you innovate by trying something different. You're supposed to do what everyone else does, even if its bad or inefficient. They even came up with a slogan for it - the "One Boeing" strategy. It was probably well-intended - drive costs down by not re-inventing the wheel on every project. But it was poorly implemented - the gigantic management pyramid somehow took that directive to mean "squash any suggestion of doing something differently", which conveniently fits with the natural tendency of any large organization to resist changes. It wouldn't matter if the thing you were suggesting had already been solidly proven effective by other companies - the default answer would remain "No".

Meetings - Oh, the meetings. If you enjoy them, then you're in luck. If you're convinced that collaboration is the key to getting work done, then you'll be more than happy with attending hours upon hours of meetings each week, collaborating over what needs to be done while never actually making any progress on what needs to be done. If, however, you're someone who actually needs to spend time alone doing actual work on a project in order to come anywhere close to completing it, then you'll probably be frustrated by all the time spent talking about doing things. It took leaving the company and moving on to new opportunities for me to realize just how much time was wasted on meetings during my two years at Boeing.

Note: My experiences may not be typical of Boeing in general. Boeing is, after all, a very large organization. But I can say with confidence that my experiences were very much typical for the division I was working in. I'm sure there are some places within Boeing that don't suffer from the typical maladies of a large organization, but I would venture to guess that such places only exist within the confines of Boeing's favored child, Phantom Works.

Advice to Management

Ditch the rigid seniority-based pay and promotion scale - it's chasing away your future top talent soon after you hire them. Abandon the aversion toward developing software in-house. Give your engineers the freedom to explore new processes and technologies. Remove the obstacles to procuring tools and software for employees. Stop sacrificing internal process innovation on the altar of the budgetary bottom line.

9. "Generic"

Current Employee - Program Management in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Program Management in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Overall Boeing is a great company. What I am finding is that the benefits are very competitive. Because Boeing is such a big company, there's lots of opportunitues but it can be difficult to move around.

Cons

Due to the mix generations, the company can be slow to make change. I've seen progress in some organizations depending on who's leading. Salary is okay but can be better. The company doesn't seem to pay market reference (per their standards). There are quite a few "old school" leaders. There's a lot of focus on "talent" conversations but I don't believe we walk what we talk. Often times people go off to leadership classes, get energized, then only to go back to their group and become demotivated because not all leaders are on the same page when it comes to developing talent. Lastly, diversity is a huge challenge as you move up ladder.

Advice to Management

Focus on driving change to policies and procedures that continue to hold us up from making improvements. Allow workers to work and truly lead change. LISTEN to your people.

10. "Great place to work, but not fast moving"

Current Employee - Systems Design and Integration Specialist in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Systems Design and Integration Specialist in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work-life balance, management allows for flexible work schedules and working from home 2 days a week (depending on your work statement).

Great health insurance and benefits.

Most of my colleagues have been pleasant, easy to work with people.

Cons

Technologies used is often out of date, and change is slow.

Technical workers are underpaid for their skills vs comparable positions at other companies in the Seattle area.

Frequent layoffs.

Promotions and upward mobility is difficult.

Advice to Management

Pay your technical workers in IT more! Boeing is losing a lot of talent due to higher paying jobs in the area.

11. "Ok place"

Current Employee - Aircraft Assembler in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Aircraft Assembler in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Boeing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good work good people good place towork

Cons

Lots of hours are mandatory.

Advice to Management

Listen to the little people. Their the ones making the products

Showing 5,000 of 5,442 reviews