Boeing Reviews in Saint Louis, MO | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Boeing CEO Dennis A. Muilenburg
Dennis A. Muilenburg

Cons

1. "Good company to work for."

Former Employee - Senior Technical Writer in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Writer in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Boeing full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Opportunities to advance. Boeing puts people first. Management challenges the team to exceed expectations. Resource to excel in your career are made available.

Cons

Facilities can be improved due to the age of some buildings. Not really a con because the work environments are conducive to getting your job done.

Advice to Management

None

2. "Engineering Technical Specialist"

Current Employee - Engineering Technical Specialist in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Engineering Technical Specialist in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Boeing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have held many challenging and rewarding jobs over my 30 years of employment with Boeing. Boeing paid for my Bachelor's Degree and my Master's Degree. I have a pension, 401K that Boeing contributes 75% of the first 8% of my income that is invested, very descent healthcare, 22 days of vacation, 10 days sick leave and flex time. Boeing has an excellent CEO and President of Boeing, Dennis Muilenburg.

Cons

On January 1, 2016, Boeing stopped providing pensions. Depending on your age, they instead (in my case) deposited 9% of my base salary into my 401K for 2016, 8% in 2017, 7% in 2018, then a flat 5% for the remaining years I work at Boeing.

I work in the Defense side of Boeing. Funding is tight and it is difficult to implement new technology. I brought in a new electrical wiring design tool that is now the Boeing standard tool, but it took 2 years of pushing with a bulldozer before gaining the support from senior executives and another 3 years to implement. Five years is too long!

Advice to Management

Don't box in your employees. They are your greatest asset. We are smart and dedicated. Give us the avenues and means to implement changes expeditiously.

3. "Good company to work for"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Boeing full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, interesting work, and good benefits.

Cons

Any corporation of this size has annoying things about it, such as mandatory training, all-hands meetings, old HR systems for tracking time and expensing business trips.

5. "Big Opportunities, Big Corporate Feel"

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Boeing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's Boeing - it's a great feeling to work for a huge, important, and influential company. It's very diverse. It's always awesome to be able to be a few steps from the labs and the factory. Tuition reimbursement, tons of learning opportunities, tons of opportunities to get one-on-one time with upper management and fantastic compensation benefits along with decent pay.

Cons

There is a lack of future vision, and you feel small. It takes a long time to do things - in general (from getting a document signed, to buying parts, to ordering a new keyboard or software license), and there aren't many simple amenities like free coffee, relaxation areas, etc - it feels like a late 20th century workplace. There isn't much horizontal integration so it feels like new projects reinvent the wheel.

Advice to Management

Both retirement and new-employee attrition are high, management changes and reorgs are too frequent, supplier management and procurement hurts schedule, and process-driven development is too rigid and limiting. Inspire and require mentoring for new employees, work on knowledge transfer, and focus on the product - not the process. Be more selective and competitive with Amazon, Google, and SpaceX's hiring practices rather than hiring just about everyone with the tired STAR recruitment process.

6. "Nice company, but Boeing or die"

Former Intern - IT Software Developer in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Intern - IT Software Developer in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Boeing as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Boeing has a nice company culture

Cons

Boeing or die. They couldn't understand my desire to seek a more software oriented role.

Advice to Management

Not all upcoming software engineers dream to work at Boeing. Its a great company, but not necessarily among the most desirable.

7. "So far so good"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Lots of opportunities to move within the company, around the world, in different functions.
    Very structured and encourages rotation. good for fresh grads.
    World class brand; interact with talented coworkers and customers daily, create solutions to cool products and services

Cons

Bureaucratic, process-driven. Slow advancement. Very cost conscious now and under pressure for cost cutting initiatives (attrition, worst benefit, next to none perks) has the "Big Boeing" mindset sometimes hinders or prohibits business opportunities

8. "Training Systems Engineer"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer III in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer III in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Boeing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of work, multiple team environment, frequent travel, fast paced, quick to gain skills, ownership on projects, adopting SAFe, acquiring international contracts

Cons

Slow to promote, raises are low, unequal treatment of employees, high turnover. Management has not figured out how to prevent burnout or adjust salaries to market.

Advice to Management

Feel disconnected and distant

9. "15 year career"

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Boeing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Innovative products, benefits, bonus structure

Cons

Not people oriented. Autocratic leadership

Advice to Management

Appreciate experienced staff.

10. "Communications Specialist"

Former Employee - Communications Specialist in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Communications Specialist in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Boeing full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits, above average pay, company does great things

Cons

Culture can be a bit cut-throat, win at all costs; company has lost the bubble on taking care of employees for the bottom line

11. "Lean Operational Excellence Manager"

Current Employee - Lean Operational Excellence Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Lean Operational Excellence Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Boeing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working in a dynamic environment leading transformation within Operations across multiple plants located all over the United States. Implementing key lean principles in order toe impact business results in support of financial returns and increasing business.

Cons

This job is challenging, resulting in tremendous growth, but it requires 75% travel. I have been working at thei level for most of 2016. I am now seeking a job with the same or moer challenges, but less travel requirements.

Advice to Management

Continue deploying the plant centric operations throughout Operations. It is having an amazing impact on financials by focusing on the technician and increasing support responsiveness.

Showing 313 of 5,299 reviews