Boeing Reviews in Seattle, WA | Glassdoor

Dennis A. Muilenburg

1,854 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Patronizing, but with benefits, variety, and bright spots"

Current Employee - Technical Fellow in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Technical Fellow in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Wide variety of military and commercial projects, including rockets, spacecraft, airplanes, drones, and more. You can move around these product lines and the country. Although benefits have eroded, they are still generous, with stock for those selected for the Technical Fellowship, 401K matching, time off, profit sharing, charitable donation matching, comprehensive health insurance for immediate family, and more.

Cons

Male-dominated culture. Bureaucracy. Shabby office environments, lots of cubicles. Seattle area locations are far from the center. Rivalries between different locations and divisions. Layoffs.

Advice to Management

Think through re-organizations before announcing. Avoid favoritism.

2. "Overall Impression"

Current Employee - Benefits Specialist in Renton, WA
    Current Employee - Benefits Specialist in Renton, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time

Pros

Great Benefits and Pay

Cons

Upper management detached from employees

Advice to Management

Boeing has great benefits (Health and Insurance, potential pension, and wonderful 401k). My group is wonderful to work in and my salary is great. I am well compensated for my work. However, upper management (top leadership, executives, etc...) is completely detached from the front lines and seem to have little empathy for those working on the front lines. Don't get me wrong, my manager is WONDERFUL. However, upper management seems to care very little. Additionally, upper management does not talk to one another. My group (benefits) was told we are being moved to Mesa. However, apparently, other HR leaders, Compliance, Legal, etc...weren't told and it was a complete shock to them. Key players should have been involved in that decision, one would think!!!

"Good Benefits"

I have been working at Boeing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very good work like balance.

Cons

Compensation not on par for leading aerospace company in Seattle where cost of living is high.

"Depends on your personality..."

Current Employee - Analyst in Renton, WA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Renton, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are plenty of pros, some I've listed below:

-Pay is well thought out and offered above market value
    -Education is pretty much 100% paid for and then when you graduate they'll give you stock in the company
    -Benefit premiums are rising but they're still very competitive, just not what the Boeing Vet's are used to paying
    -Hundred's of job opportunities are posted online and extremely easy to apply to if you're looking for a change.
    -If you're in the assembly arena you'll be around multi million dollar airplanes all day. If you're in fabrication you're surrounded by millions of dollars worth of awesome machining equipment.
    -Great programs for employees such as discounts on travel, restaurants, and other day to day areas.
    -Make the resume look great should you decide to ever leave. With hundreds of suppliers in the area it's not at all tough to get a job at one of those places if Boeing isn't your cup of tea.

Cons

A lot of the struggles are caused by the fact that the company is so big and honestly because of the union.

-The union has created an atmosphere that people don't have to do their jobs, they can just show up and do the bare minimum. It also means those with the lowest seniority will get laid off first, even if they're the best workers in the factory.
    -Depending on the group you work with it can be hard to implement changes that you find to be beneficial, but there are groups and managers scattered throughout the company that will listen and help make those changes.
    -It's said that if you're laid off it can be tough to get hired somewhere else because most companies know you'll leave when Boeing calls you back to work.
    -With so many people the hiring procedures can cause good candidates to be looked over and bad ones to get interviews.

Advice to Management

Perhaps have a better hiring process for first line managers and take the time to understand how the people getting lay off notices feel about the amount of people getting laid off and how it will affect them personally.

5. "Living the "Dream""

Current Employee - Process "Engineer" in Everett, WA
    Current Employee - Process "Engineer" in Everett, WA

I have been working at Boeing (More than 5 years)

Pros

Health Care Benefits
    Flexible Schedules (Varies)

Cons

Where to start...
    Employees are not valued

Advice to Management

Actually know how to manage and lead people.

I've worked at Boeing for 6yrs now, I've worked on some really great projects that have done nothing for my career growth.

This place is beyond frustrating if you like to actually work and advance yourself, however, if you'd like to cruise and just sit behind a desk all day with little to no output, Boeing is a great place. Things move at a snails pace, improvement ideas are consistently shot down, projects are usually never coordinated between organizations and there is no coordinated efforts here. The projects that are championed by management are pointless and brings no value to the end items.

Management is not in tune with employees, there is no employee career development and though having served in the military, an engineering degree, and an MBA, I have had no help in getting anywhere but frustrated trying to advance in this company.

Boeing used to be a great company, I personally don't see it being a contender in the future of aviation with the lack of strategy and leadership.

6. "Wing Structures Mechanic"

Current Employee - Mechanic in Renton, WA
    Current Employee - Mechanic in Renton, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay, benefits, managers, airplanes, and learning of new skills.

Cons

Atmosphere in certain shops and factories.

7. "7-3:30 desk Job"

Former Employee - Procurement Agent II in Renton, WA
    Former Employee - Procurement Agent II in Renton, WA

I worked at Boeing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay and benefits are great. The end product is an awesome multi million dollar airplane. You will work on several different projects over the years. Each is unique.

Cons

Slow moving major bureaucracy. The culture is reflective of that. Fair amount of apathy and "punch in punch out" mentality.

Advice to Management

Please promote to managers more carefully. I noticed a surprising amount of really bad managers.

8. "Program Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to start your career

Cons

too many layers.
    Too particular lots of status-ing to management

9. "Boeing"

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Everett, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and pay. Lots of opportunity.

Cons

Beurocratic red tape politics. Slow processes.

10. "S.M.E. (Subject Matter Expert)"

Current Employee - Design Engineer in Everett, WA
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in Everett, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The wealth of knowledge and the 1st class software is always cutting edge. Working at Boeing since transitioning from the Automotive world, was just a amazing journey thru technology and how one group thinks a certain way and the other is polar opposite and I had the pleasure of going thru that transition.

Cons

Working at Boeing since transitioning from the Automotive world, was just a amazing journey thru technology and how one group thinks a certain way and the other is polar opposite and I had the pleasure of going thru that transition and dealing with a different method of work i.e. Boeing everything is in English (inches, feet . . .etc). Being from the "Automotive World" we deal with metrics (millimeters, centimeters . . etc) That took sometime for adjusting to being a Design Engineer.

Advice to Management

Don't micromanage your people let them take the task and see where they go with it, if its not the right path well then you steer them in the direction you as a Manager would like to see. Also encourage "out of the box" thinking it really could help Lean out a way of doing business orcoming up with a better product.

Showing 1,854 of 5,763 reviews