Boeing Senior Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Boeing CEO Dennis A. Muilenburg
Dennis A. Muilenburg

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can be a bit tough (in 108 reviews)

• Upper management detached from employees (in 94 reviews)

1. "Sr Embedded Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

Pros

Interesting Work Great Co Workers

Cons

Management and Layoffs, My manager was an angry fellow

Advice to Management

Layoff some managers

2. "Senior Project Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Old Monroe, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Old Monroe, MO

I have been working at Boeing (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits; challenging work with autonomy.

Cons

For several years Boeing has been downsizing (especially in salaries). This favors entry and lower level employees over senior experienced employees. While line management is doing the best they can under difficult circumstances, senior management is being lazy and making these cuts with a "broad-axe" strategy rather than a more surgical approach based on value and ROI.

"Lack in managment"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Only for benifits no experience.

Cons

Lazy environment for growth purpose.

Advice to Management

Have some justice in evaluating people.it seems less experience stay long than heavy experience people .

"Good benefits, but too many military officers in mgmt"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Boeing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

High pay with good benefits. The pension was recently frozen, Boeing pays more than average into your 401K (4% of salary automatic + 75% matching if you contribute up to 8% of your salary.

Cons

St Louis defense side increasingly run by tone deaf military officers who treat software engineers like army privates. Company boasts of its part-time work opportunities, but management will make it difficult for men to pursue this. Management is arrogant, aloof, and increasingly over-worked.

Advice to Management

Knock the chips off your shoulders and recognize that engineers are grown-ups with a lot of training and education.

5. "Boeing-Herndon"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Herndon, VA

I worked at Boeing (More than a year)

Pros

Boeing used to have an excellent pension system...if you can make it to Seattle
    area, you will find a completely different culture that here in Springfield/Herndon/Chantilly.

I worked there for ~12 years and I know of where I speak. Do not be disappointed by what you see here in DC area, the Real Boeing is an excellent place to work.

Cons

Local management in Herndon/Springfield/Chantilly is terrible. Do not be fooled by this management group.

"Was a great place to work."

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Orlando, FL

I worked at Boeing (Less than a year)

Pros

For most of my years with the company, it was a great place to work. Good salary, great benefits, great people to work with. I loved my time there, when employees were given the opportunity to make decisions that truly impacted their job, and the products they created.

Cons

Over the past couple of years, management has turned more and more toward micro-management, with many decisions being made from up on high and filtered on down to the non-management employees, with very little room for positive change on the way down. The company used to care so much for their people, now they only care about share holders, and the short term dollar.

Advice to Management

Don't forget that intelligent people need to feel empowered to make real decisions. As the freedom to make those decisions is whittled away, employees become apathetic. You will lose the benefit of their talents, and create a toxic atmosphere in the work place.

7. "Boeing great in commercial but not so good on the defense side"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Huntington Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Huntington Beach, CA

Pros

Boeing supports on going skill development. It has great benefits. The salary is quite generous. The company gives out bonus annually

Cons

Boeing defense side is not doing well. Consider coming into the company on the commercial side. Some development are quite antiquated, but some are quite innovative.

8. "Challenging work, poor middle management"

Former Contractor - Senior Embedded Software Engineer in Wichita, KS
    Former Contractor - Senior Embedded Software Engineer in Wichita, KS

I worked at Boeing as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people I have worked directly with at Boeing have almost all been stellar - good work ethic, engaged in the project, and expert in their work. The benefits provided to direct employees are excellent, particularly for those in the SPEEA union (my husband is in that union).

Cons

Unfortunately, middle management has made some poor decisions, and seems to have a tendency to plan schedules too short, and workforce too small. On one project, the original work package (contract between Boeing divisions) was to provide software that had not been fully tested to the integration group. I almost quit when I heard that.
    Boeing does not appear to have the best relationships with its unions, as there are fairly frequent strikes at the time of contract renewals, and some scare tactics on the part of Boeing (such as the threat in 2013 to move the 777? work out of Seattle if the union didn't agree to extend its current contract). There is also the move by the company out of states with organized unions and into states without them (i.e. out of Kansas and into Oklahoma).

Advice to Management

1. Management needs to be a bit more flexible when it comes to allocating budget and personnel - the USAF tanker program got behind schedule because management would not allocate more personnel where needed.
    2. Don't put contract personnel in key positions that need to stay around in projects where you are going to start laying off people as it closes up. The contractors are the first to go, and you know it. If you have a contractor in a key position, offer them a direct position, or work with SPEEA to keep them around.
    3. Work on the relationship with your unions. Try to get away from he US vs THEM mentality on both sides.

9. "Manufacturing, not R&D."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Everett, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Everett, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good work/life balance, stable employment for years at a time, excellent benefits.

Cons

Technology lags behind the times, and it is hard to bring new methods into the company. Lots of cuts and tight budgets mean your team may be just you. It can be hard to find the right resources for more complicated tasks because of the maze of red tape and overlapping requirements.

If you work here longer than five years, you risk being channeled into aerospace as your only job option. That is fine if you are an aerospace engineer but can be problematic if you're not.

Advice to Management

Stop union busting. Apply Lean+ to your own processes instead of imposing meaningless requirements on the people who are building your products. Stop trying to build planes by outsourcing -- you have valuable expertise in the company. Put it in one place and use it.

10. "Mixed Good and Bad"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Kent, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Kent, WA

I worked at Boeing full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits were outstanding when I worked there, but they were cutting some when I left.
    They cut unlimited educational benefit though they left in place a common one of paying for classes if they related to your job.
    I think pension was cut for new employees but I don't know for sure.
    Salaries were competitive
    Engineering management came from engineering disciplines. Having had a different experience since, I see how wonderful it is to have management that you can discuss your work with
    New projects were very exciting and fun (but don't count on it for a first project there - there's high internal candidate competition for these projects). they used newer technologies and the problems were interesting.
    Because engineers were in a union, you got paid for every hour you worked.
    Met some very smart people there.

Cons

Old projects or highly political projects were a drag to work on.
    Some projects are 20+ years old and so are their technologies
    One project was highly politicized making it difficult to even leverage enough to accomplish anything.
    Foreign projects had very heavy government regulation burdens that made for a lot of dry, boring work.
    When I first went to work there, there was an ethics scandal every week at the highest levels.
    System Engineering wasn't very strong.