Bohler Engineering Reviews | Glassdoor

Adam J. Volanth

1. "Awesome!"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Bohler Engineering full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

One of the Best Companies to work for in New York - #1 in 2017! Great benefits, awesome attitudes, a definite work hard/play hard mentality. You really feel part of a team.

Cons

None that I can name.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

"Great company that focuses on employee growth and retainment"

Current Employee - Design Engineer in Sandy Springs, Fulton, GA
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in Sandy Springs, Fulton, GA

I have been working at Bohler Engineering full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Management genuinely cares about the growth of their employees
    -Great pay and solid benefits
    -Highly team-oriented/focused as opposed to becoming a cube-body
    -Good work/life balance

Cons

-Occasional fire drills and deadlines that require all hands on deck
    -Work hard, play hard environment (emphasis on the former; but nothing like a sweatshop)

Advice to Management

Implement more effective project milestone goals/updates in order to avoid fire drills

"Great place for growth!"

Current Employee - Design Engineer in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Bohler Engineering full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management listens to your goals and helps you create a career path to meet them.There are two reviews a year and you can set up career discussions with your managers as often as you like to make sure you are on track for where you want to be.

Cons

Benefits are fine, not great.

Advice to Management

Continue to have open lines of communication with your employees.

4. "Growth Potential in a Social and Collaborative Environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Warren, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Warren, NJ

Pros

I truly feel like I am part of a team at Bohler - not only in the work I do, but through the social environment and activities as well. The team is collaborative and encouraging. My manager truly cares about my career growth and success. Plus, who doesn't want a happy hour, bake off or dunk tank challenge every once in awhile?

Cons

I really can't think of anything unappealing about Bohler.

5. "Best decision"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warren, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warren, NJ

I have been working at Bohler Engineering full-time

Pros

I started working at Bohler over a year ago and I couldn't have made a better decision for my career. Bohler provides each and every individual within the firm every possible opportunity to maximize their growth potential and listens to them on feedback to not only better themselves, but better the firm as a whole. Bohler is a firm that tries to adapt to its employees, because they are their biggest asset.

Cons

Bohler is a very, fast-paced company, so continue making sure that work is being delegated properly, to continue promoting a strong work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Continue the strong social presence within each office. Also, continue promoting growth and opportunity.

"A dynamic, exciting work environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Towson, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Towson, MD

I have been working at Bohler Engineering full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bohler values its' employees career growth and overall job fulfillment. Managers are willing to work with and listen to employee needs. The environment is absolutely a fast-paced, somewhat intense work environment, but that makes the company even more exciting to be a part of. The social atmosphere is fun and lively.

Cons

It's also a pro, but the intensity and pace can be challenging at times. Employees need to speak up when workload approaches too much and be proactive about creating their own work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Continue being present around the different offices, chatting with employees, knowing everyone's name. It goes a long way!

"Should I stay or should I go???"

I have been working at Bohler Engineering full-time

Pros

The projects this company brings are great and fun. The culture taught by the upper management is a strong one and it's obvious to see why the company has been so successful for so long. I'm excited to see where the job will challenge me and allow my career to grow

Cons

It is very apparent there are favorites who can be poor project managers, poor time managers and solely selfish when team work is involved. The management in the office is oblivious to the inadequacies of such favorite individuals and allow them to get away with creating chaos and disruption in workflow and balance. Hard working individuals are worked harder and lacking individuals get away with kissing up and socializing while they take all the credit.
    Serious disrespect and unprofessional rapport between individuals. Place feels too much like a high schoolly environment; cliques and socialization is more important while deadlines, customer service and quality of plans continues to go south.
    Managers don't always clearly communicate nor are they available but are quick to throw blame when one makes a decision to keep a project moving. Can feel like a sweatshop - total focus on pushing things out the door but not always the best product. There is no life/work balance so if you're a family guy, don't work here!
    The idea of work hard play hard that they advertise is work hard at the office and play hard at the office in their social events and beer Fridays. There's no real time to have a life of your own and are expected to be part of their social environment or risk being an outcast.
    Career opportunities seem to be available as long as you follow the plan they expect you to follow and keep up with their constantly changing expectations.
    Health benefits are a bit pricey and are average. Just don't use them too much or go to urgent/ emergency care too often because an email will be sent letting you know that it's being used too much and to cut it down to keep the company cost down.
    While their parties and events are lavish, the bonuses are a bit meager and based on the salary summaries I've seen here, I seem underpaid.
    Priorities seem to be set more on socialization and not so much the actual employees or employee needs.

Advice to Management

Please follow through on the "change" you claim is coming. At this moment - not sure I want to continue to work here. Go back to the roots of the company and hold the right people accountable for their actions. It's not always the working horses' fault that a project fails, goes over budget or has a ton of RFI's. Managers, project engineering, etc - be responsible and accountable for your own actions instead of constantly pointing the finger everywhere else. Newsflash - buying drinks or throwing parties doesn't show care for employees! Better healthcare, better vacations, better bonuses, decent work hours, and work/ life balance says more than lunches and booze! Entire Sterling office needs to be revamped.

"Opportunity to the Sky"

Current Employee - Assistant Project Manager in Bowie, MD
    Current Employee - Assistant Project Manager in Bowie, MD

I have been working at Bohler Engineering (More than 3 years)

Pros

Clear paths to advancement, consistent follow thru - when I met the criteria, I've been promoted / compensated accordingly.
    No limits on your path - take one (1) of the laid out paths, or create your own specialty within the firm's broader expertise / client base, create your own internal / external client base - up to you.
    Friends - working hard goes by faster / easier with friends working towards a common goal.
    Working Hard - I love the challenge of a clear, consistent, high bar.

Cons

See the pros above - this is not a perfect place, but no place is (and it's the right place for me).

Advice to Management

Continue to solicit feedback from all levels of Staff, and to take action on that input.

9. "Keeps Me Constantly Challenged"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Bohler Engineering full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fast paced; Challenging; Ambitious co-workers; Always learning something new; Customer focused; Staff focused; Fun.

Cons

This type of environment is not for everyone. If you can't handle a fast pace or don't enjoy being constantly challenged, you should consider working on the public side.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing - it works!

10. "Fair Work Environment"

Current Employee - Design Engineer Intern in Warren, NJ
    Current Employee - Design Engineer Intern in Warren, NJ

I have been working at Bohler Engineering (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast paced, projects coming in and out all the time

Cons

Interns get used for lazy work that didn't engage skills