Boies, Schiller & Flexner Reviews

Updated May 28, 2020

Boies, Schiller & Flexner Chairman David Boies (no image)
David Boies
  1. "Great place to be a paralegal"

5.0
    Current Employee - Paralegal in New York, NY

I have been working at Boies, Schiller & Flexner full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very exciting opportunities offered to recent graduates

Cons

Little to no oversight, which leads to misunderstandings.

2. "Staff attorney"

Former Employee - Staff Attorney in Albany, NY

I worked at Boies, Schiller & Flexner full-time for less than a year

Pros

Variety of legal work beyond document review Good experience, great work environment, helpful people, very accomdating and flexible schedule.

Cons

no upward mobility, could be more understanding of knowledge/background

3. "Great Place to Work"

5.0
    Current Employee - Staff Attorney in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Boies, Schiller & Flexner full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexibility, Remote Work, Independence, Friendly Work Space

Cons

No room for professional growth, potentially monotonous work

"STAY AWAY"

Current Employee - Paralegal

I have been working at Boies, Schiller & Flexner full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some attorneys are completely awful. You can find some decent people.

Cons

Female associates are rude to all staff because they think they're God. Congratulations you work for the firm that represented Weinstein. You're a great asset to females. Rude rude rude lawyers that treat staff poorly. Reception is a nightmare that drops calls and overbooks rooms. You can't get fellow paralegals to do their jobs. Lawyers play favorites. The open office is so loud no one can get any work done. Run away!

"Not a favorable review"

Former Employee - Legal Secretary in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Boies, Schiller & Flexner full-time

Pros

Good cases and exciting cases

Cons

Management especially office manager very childish. You can be part of a great team and switched without notice. Staff cannot comment or ask. As soon as you do, within weeks you'll be terminated. It's basically a don't ask don't tell scenario.

Continue reading

"Be Careful and Keep Your Head DOWN!"

Former Employee - Paralegal in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Boies, Schiller & Flexner full-time for less than a year

Pros

American Lawyer 100 Firm Decent Pay Decent Benefits Some genuinely nice attorneys to learn from (emphasis on the word, some)

Cons

Toxic working environment. No sense of transparency. People will throw you under the bus if it works in their favor False pretense of "team work" when in reality it's supposed to be individual effort. Every person has their own definition of their job. Every person has their own preference. No one attorney is united in style, resulting in Paralegals getting into trouble having to read their minds. More concerned with style over actual substance. Disorganized. Outdated in terms of technology and overall practice. Wolves in sheep's clothing of a firm, shared between both the staff and the attorneys. Deceivingly kind at first, but slowly building cases against newcomers. Human Resources is biased against new employees versus old; better to just keep quiet. Positions overlap.

"Litigation Paralegal"

I have been working at Boies, Schiller & Flexner full-time

Pros

-Ability to work on important assignments -Time and a half for long hours

Cons

-No additional benefits other than time and a half

"Really think this one through"

2.0
    Former Employee - Staff in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Boies, Schiller & Flexner full-time

Pros

Pay is average for staff Well regarded firm

Cons

Office manager was super strict on clock-in times Lack of organization throughout firm, so as staff, we bear the brunt of miscoummunicatons Lack of resources and investment in firm technology meaning no e-discovery software, no calendaring software, outdated and severely inadequate copy machines that cannot hole punch or staple Due to lack of central database system, when cases are worked on across offices, wrong versions of documents are used and results in long nights redoing what someone else has already done Staff is miserable, you could hear a pin drop in the office, minimal talking or conversating While I was there, every other week a staff member quit, it was crazy!

9. "A decent first job"

Former Employee - Litigation Paralegal in New York, NY

I worked at Boies, Schiller & Flexner full-time for more than a year

Pros

It was my first job out of college and I would say overall it was a great experience working with some of the best legal minds out there. Really cool cases. Hours can be long (my longest week was about 110 hours) but when I approached HR about the low pay, they took things really seriously, called around to other firms, and realized our pay was low for the industry standard and gave everyone raises. Also if you work late you get dinner and a car home, which is awesome. Some of the attorneys I worked with were wonderful and we still keep in touch 4 years later, and some were power hungry and didn't care much for the "little people". Support staff is amazing -- they are the people to befriend because they get things done for the people they like first. Everyone has a lot of fun at the Christmas party.

Cons

Long hours, pay wasn't awesome, (it got better while I was there), and it's kind of a boys club. Some of the older male attorneys could use some sexual harassment training.

"Very Disorganized Firm, and Watch Out if You're Hired as Staff"

2.0
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Boies, Schiller & Flexner full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Well-known mid-size firm, especially founder David Boies -Very liberal -They don't fire a lot of people--HR is walked all over by staff, especially legal assistants

Cons

-Attorneys are hired based on their reputation are paid very well compared to other firms, but staff are hired with little experience and paid less than average -New York City office (which I worked in) was very loud. Attorneys often spoke in halls in groups very loud, and paralegals and legal assistants were constantly at each other's desks socializing. It was impossible to do serious work -HR is a joke. There are 2 HR people for the entire NY office. HR have little rules so staff is out of control. Very passive. -Office services doesn't do their job. Printers are never restocked with paper, supplies are disorganized and hard to find, mail doesn't come around at set times--whenever they feel like it, and when asked to help they're often lazy and aren't willing to help even though they haven't been assigned anything else to do. They're also distracting when picking up mail from desks -Extremely gossipy office. Both attorneys and staff are not kind compared to other firms I've worked at, especially Reception and Legal Assistants. The majority of staff is younger than other firms so it's like high school -Almost all Legal Assistants are lazy, talk too much and do little work. They are looked down at by the attorneys as incompetent and a hinderance more than a help. They watch movies on their computers during the day, have personal conversations on the phone, and walk to and from each other's desks all day talking. This makes it impossible for attorneys to stay on task because they're always looking for their legal assistants, and it makes the office very loud and distracting to work in -Firm is extremely disorganized. If I was a client I'd never trust this firm. Confidential papers are left out on desks in plain sight and on copy machines. Staff is trained extremely little so they all have a different way of doing things, often the incorrect way. The files for the attorneys I was assigned to were always a mess when I got them. -Their expense reimbursement process for staff, and Billing department in the NYC office is very small, extremely primitive, and inefficient because papers were constantly lost and expenses were often forgotten about -The firm has a great reputation but behind closed doors is very basic. The firm directory is literally a simple PowerPoint presentation. Computer programs are old, and their technology is very behind compared to other larger firms, which makes things run slow and inefficient, not to mention frustrating . All assistants don't have all of the same programs so we constantly have to ask each other for help, and often senior legal assistants with all the programs would have attitudes when asked for help. No Document Management system so documents are often hard to retrieve easily and get lost. -Phone systems between offices isn't set up with codes so you can't transfer calls between offices easily. You need to call the office number itself -IT is a joke. IT is very small and often they get in late so if your computer is down then you're waiting until they come in. They answer their emails late and there is no back up after hours. Often I was told there wasn't a problem when there was one, and often given quick fix advice instead of advice about how to permanently solve a problem so it would keep reoccuring -Huge amount of nepotism. A lot of attorneys and senior staff are hired because they are family members. This makes it difficult because they favor each other a lot and are often given benefits that other employees aren't given -They give recommendations to attorneys, summer associates, and interns on letterhead or by phone, but refuse to act as a reference or give recommendations of former staff which is both unfair, and makes it difficult to find another job once you leave their firm.

Found 35 reviews