Boiling Crab Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Server"

Former Employee - Server in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Server in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Boiling Crab part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at the boiling crab is incredibly fun, fast paced work. Some of the pro's include an incredibly lively and 'family' type company. Essentially your coworkers will be some of your best friends. The tips are great, and the restaurant hours are ideal for college students. It is not the kind of job that stresses you out after you clock out.

Cons

The team vibe can sometimes be cliquey, people blame other people for mistakes, young and sometimes immature group of coworkers, managers and owners will favor certain employees especially if they are of the same ethnicity as them. My 3 years working a TBC I never once saw a pay raise, and the managers excuse was that we made a lot of tip.

Advice to Management

Listen to employee complaints and actually take the open door policy to the heart. You'll lose your best and most hard working employees.

2. "Server"

Former Employee - Server in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Server in San Diego, CA

I worked at Boiling Crab part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good tips and good food

Cons

Micro management, favoritism, cliques, small discount for employees

Advice to Management

N/A

3. "Senior Developer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Boiling Crab full-time

Pros

great place to work at

Cons

horrible hours and geographic location

5. "Experience at Boiling Crab"

Former Employee - Server/Waiter in Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Server/Waiter in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at Boiling Crab (More than a year)

Pros

Working at The Boiling Crab was, overall, a great experience. You work in a fast paced environment with a great staff. Honestly the staff is probably the best part of the job.

Cons

It takes a long time to move up to a serving position which is where you make the real money. As a busy restaurant with a long wait you encounter a lot of angry customers. Scheduling is not very lenient. Must work weekends.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to really get to know what servers are put through when they are on the job. Listen to them without being overbearing. Make getting off days easier.

6. "Freedom & Responsibility"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Garden Grove, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Garden Grove, CA

I have been working at Boiling Crab (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of freedom to make the position your own, flexible hours, great co-workers, family type environment, high growth potential.

Cons

Employees need to bring a lot to the table and own their role. Sometimes things aren't laid out for you. Job requires continuous process improvement and ability to see the bigger picture.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and don't get mired down in process as the company grows. I like seeing the the company does their best to go above and beyond for their employees.

"Server"

Former Employee - Server in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Server in Sacramento, CA

Pros

Excellent tips for such a casual restaurant

Cons

Long hours, rude customers, management picks favorites

"College Job"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

This is a great college job. Management is very flexible on the scheduling as long as you're wiling to give up your weekends. You also make great cash tips - even better when you get promoted to a server. You will also be working with people around your age so a chill environment.

Cons

Managers here micro-manage. Be careful, they stalk all of your facebook, instagram, twitter, any social media you have. If you request days off you will get punished. Also, they are very sexist here. If you are a male and single, you will have amazing shifts. It is impossible to use your paid-sick leave hours here since they have so many regulations.

Advice to Management

Stop micro managing. Stop being sexist, work scheduling should be based on performance. Stop punishing employees and scrutinizing their every actions.

9. "Waitress/Trainer Review"

Former Employee - Waitress/Trainer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Waitress/Trainer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Boiling Crab part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-good tips after every shift
    -still small, so no corporate BS, well not since i left in 2013.

Cons

-work you like dogs considering the high customer volume
    -family owned business brings drama into the workplace

"Server"

Former Employee - Server in Garden Grove, CA
    Former Employee - Server in Garden Grove, CA

I worked at Boiling Crab part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The tips were great. Some people there were really nice and am still friends with now. I don't have any other pros but Glassdoor requires a 20 word minimum.

Cons

This was when I worked there 5 years ago. Things might have changed or I hope they did.

Management blames everything on their employees. The owner, Dada, exact words were we are disposable. She said there are a lot of people who wants to work at Boiling Crab so we should be lucky. She made us paid for dine and dashes (which I now learn is illegal) and if any tools were lost. Dada wanted to be different than the other Asian restaurants in the complex, but the way she ran business was just as shady as the "Asian restaurants." We were asked to charge people for water and the excuse was because the quality of the water cups are better. I can't tell you how many times I had customers tell me, "then put it in the soda cup." She asked us to stop pouring so many limes, stop giving them so many napkins, stop giving them so many salt and pepper cups, and etc..

Servers worked long hours (sometimes without a legal break period) with customers that were beyond reasonable. But did Dada care about how we are being treated? No. She made us feel bad and she blamed us. Customers were always right even if they threw food at us.

Working there was like being back in high school. There were cliques and mean girls. If you weren't in their clique, then believe you were the center of gossip and bad treatment. A very small percentage was nice, but those people aren't there anymore.

Majority of the servers there are young kids who still loves to party, drink, and do drugs. Sometimes drink and do drugs while working. Wrapped up in high school drama and gossip. So, don't think you'll learn a lot or grow. It's just a good job to make money while in school.

If you mention anything about respectful employee treatment aka legal breaks they make you feel like a traitor. Like you don't know how to work as a team. Like you have to work long hours just to be accepted. Sorry, didn't care for that. Every employee deserves what is legal.

Advice to Management

Stop playing favorites. Take real management lessons and training. To Dada especially, learn what it's like to truly care for your employees. The stuff that came out of your mouth was hurtful and mean. You don't tell your employees that. You're suppose to help us grow and motivate us. If you really thought that then blame the people you promoted to hire us in the first place -- if we are really that bad. You're just as shady and stingy as the so-call Asian restaurants you didn't want to be.

11. "Great College Job"

Current Employee - Server in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Server in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Boiling Crab part-time (More than a year)

Pros

First of, Boiling Crab will accommodate to their employee's busy school schedules, especially for school. Secondly, working as a server, it's a privilege to receive cash from tips at the end of the shift in additional to minimum wage hour paycheck every two weeks. Lastly, management rewards those who are the best seller each month with different prizes such as gift cards, concert tickets, etc. In conclusion, an individual will receive a great schedule if they're a great worker.

Cons

Majority of people who work there are 18-25 years old with high school mentalities. Additionally, the conversations, and atmosphere at this company is not the most intelligent environment to be around. Therefore, there's no room for self development and individual growth if a person were to look for better advancements and networks for their future careers and opportunities.