Boku Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jon Prideaux

1. "Pleasant people and nice office environment"

Former Employee - Senior Recruiting Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Recruiting Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Boku (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed working at Boku. Everyone is super nice and the company has hired some awesome talent this year in Engineering, Data, Database Administration, QA and Program Management. I found that management was receptive to hearing and implementing new ideas which made my job easier. I would work here again because I was treated well and accomplished my goals in a supportive, fun environment.

Cons

I can't think of anything

Advice to Management

N/A

2. "Review"

Former Employee - Director of Business Development in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Director of Business Development in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Boku (More than a year)

Pros

Potential for learning from globally distributed workforce

Cons

Not enough long term vision

"Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Boku full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free food, free drinks, fun working environment, friendly employees (most of them any way). Jon is a good CEO.

Cons

Poor technology, poor management, does not understand or care of customers. Revolving door for senior executives, friends, and family.

Advice to Management

Need to be more humble, pay more attention to your customers, employees.

"Accounts Payable Manager"

Former Employee - Accounts Payable Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Boku (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing company to work for.

Cons

At Boku cons are converted into Pros.

"Random firings with no reason at all, bad culture"

Former Employee - PM- in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - PM- in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Free food on Tuesdays
    Semi work life balance

Cons

You basically always live in constant fear of being fired. Most normal companies will fire when the person is an under performer or because of gross misconduct or a large layoff. This is not the case with Boku. They will pitch hard, pay not so well, and then randomly fire even if there is no rhyme or reason. While I was there I saw several great workers who had zero reason to be let go, get fired. I also saw lots of not so great people stick around who weren't the most qualified or the best at the job.

They will sell you work life balance, but really expect people to try to work 24/7 to be fired even if you do so and hide it under a "reorg" I was there for less than a year and there were 3-5 re-orgs all ending in several people being fired for absolutely no good reason (even solid top performers). And everyone there acts like it is the most normal thing in the world.

There is also zero clarity from upper management and a lot of terrible business decisions that are being made. Some of which make absolutely no sense.What others say about putting fires out is true, they don't prepare and put off a lot of important decisions only to have it become a fire later.

It's true they hire lots of great people, but it is too old and big to be a start up and operating as sloppily as it is. If you want a secure job, don't work here. Because one day you might wake up and randomly be fired even if you are a stellar employee.

The negative reviews are accurate.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - California in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - California in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Boku full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have really enjoyed working at Boku over the last few years. I'm working on some cool projects and I've been given opportunity to learn new skills and mature as an engineer. It's really fast paced here but I happen to like that so I don't get bored.

I like the people and the culture, we get some good perks including catered lunches and hack weeks. The health insurance is really good as well.

Cons

Sometimes things move quickly and it's difficult to keep up with whats happening but you just have to ask and then get involved as soon as you can

Advice to Management

Keep communicating with the team

"don't work here"

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Boku full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not that much actually, their website tries to show differently however.

Cons

They have had a history of management problems and nasty closed door politics, OPS/IT has always been a revolving door with unnecessary complication, random firings, and poor management. The company has only a short term interest and continues to lose money trying to grow. What perpetuates is a hostile environment, especially for new hires, even in other groups I met a lot of unhappy people and low morale. They have always used and hired contractors, making it completely unsuitable for anyone full time salaried. I was lied to during the interview process and tricked in order to test their new hire process, and subsequently fired for no reason at all.

Advice to Management

get rid of the department manager unfit to manage anything.

"Awesome people, flexible environment, and startup experience"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Boku full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has been doing an excellent job on improving the employees satisfaction and preserving the startup experience. When I first joined the company, I would say that Boku is a mediocre (not really satisfying) company. But, they have improved a lot. Here are the things they have done for the past 2 years:
    - engineer can choose either mac retina display or Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook. (they used to give old Dell XPS laptop)
    - they provide lunch once a week
    - aside from the regular events/celebrations (halloween, Christmas party, etc), they introduce new fun events (whole company hack week, the amazing race, engineering offsite)
    - salary increase
    - etc

Other pros:
    - The principal engineers and the culture are opened to new technologies. You can experiment with new stuff and if you can prove that it brings value, you can use it. Ex: Twitter Bootstrap, AngularJs, Spring MVC, etc.
    - Although we do scrum every day, managers are not micro-managing.
    - After 2 weeks of development, we have 1 week of QA. Engineers are required to participate in testing. This can be a negative for some. However, after 3 days of testing, you have 1 or 2 days where (if you speak up and schedule permitted) you can work on things that you want to work on (but this has to be Boku products/application). Or, you can ask some time to learn new technology.
    - You are expected to own the product

Cons

- Benefits can be better (401 matching, full insurance)
    - As an engineer, you are required to participate in 1 week on-call rotation (3 times a year)
    - Given the nature of startup, sometimes you need to work on features/products with non-fix specs.
    - Communication between engineer and product manager can be better (they are working on it)

"Great and exciting working environment, but you need to speak up"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Boku full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Boku gives you all the freedom that you want and need. You get a lot of responsibilities from day one and management is pretty hands-off, but that served me well as it gives me the flexibility to prioritize my own work to get things done. Basic perks include: standing desks, health insurance, wine club, beer club, free lunch every week, free drinks and snacks, coffee carts, tons of fun activities like scavenger hunt, happy hours, table tennis tournaments and birthday cakes (just to name a few).

Cons

You need to speak up to get a voice (and a raise). Communication between senior Management and org could be better

Advice to Management

Be more actively involved
    continue to support investment into culture

"awful management"

Current Employee - Customer Service in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Boku full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free snacks and good health insurance

Cons

Very low payment and very stressful environment. Management is extremely greedy and
     do not have a lot of experience regarding several issues. There is no room for advance and they do not take any good advices from good employees with experience.

Advice to Management

They should really take care of the people that work hard and pay enough.