Bon Appétit Management Reviews in Minneapolis, MN | Glassdoor

Minneapolis, MN

Bon Appétit Management CEO Fedele Bauccio
Fedele Bauccio

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work environment with full benefits package, and free meals everyday (in 15 reviews)

• Good food, farm to fork, good atmosphere (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • No room for growth, unless you don't have an opinion, put your head down and let them abuse you (in 5 reviews)

• Takes a long time to advance within the company, low pay (in 8 reviews)

1. "Bon Appetit"

Former Employee - Cook in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Cook in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Bon Appétit Management full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

good benefits, friendly coworkers, steady and stable work.

Cons

felt like a cog in a machine only. very few efforts to advance employees despite the length of their stay with the company and the company's size.

Advice to Management

see employees more as people, not only workers

2. "High standards and great vision, but needs additional oversight for weak areas"

Current Employee - Caterer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Caterer in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

It's tough for me to expand on this much because I worked as a "peon" in many capacities. I played a role of leadership in the interim when we were hiring additional management, but never really took part of the greater corporate structure. With a bigger company comes better bennies than a smaller company might be able to offer, but it also comes with more red tape, and it's tougher to get to decision makers to get any change carried through. No surprise there.

I've worked in catering for BA at two places and the first one was a mess, while the second was a well-oiled machine. The latter has been fun to work at, with great leadership who treat me and the staff correctly, we get paid on-time and with few hiccups. The former was because proper management wasn't in place and the next level of management up from there did not seem up to speed as much. This second layer of management could give a little more oversight and take action in these weaker areas.

Of course in all of this, my experience is very localized, so with 180 accounts in the US and no experience with the corporate structure, it's hard to give an accurate review.

Cons

See my comments above in "Pros." I think the cons might be inherent with a larger corporate structure, but there are large organizations out there getting it right too, so the lack of general oversight to problematic accounts might be my biggest con for BA.

Advice to Management

Now that I think of it, I was a college student working in the lower rungs of BA and there were no leadership programs or opportunities to integrate me into the company. There's a complicated application system to try to apply to a random job within the company, but if you know you have a great employee (I won "Be A Star" and was praised on a number of occasions), shouldn't you want to develop them and raise them up in the company?

With as many people as they have coming in and out of their company for part time work and otherwise you'd think management would want to make use of this.

Hiring someone "cold" without knowing them well is tough work - I've had to do it in my FT work. If you can test people out in PT work, like BA does very often especially in catering, then you get to know who they are and can ask management about their work ethic, demeanor, skills, knowledge, ethics etc.

3. "Can be horrible or great."

Former Employee - Catering Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Catering Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Bon Appétit Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Farm to fork program, sustainable solutions. The pay was okay and benefits were acceptable. Hourly staff was wonderful to work with. The food is very creative and tasted great. Had opportunity to try foods that would not been able to otherwise.

Cons

Horrible management team, disrespectful, and threats of bodily injury were common. The Gm, operations manager and executive chef were like a high school click. Verbal abuse was a daily occurrence. When HR was notified about the hostile environment, I was dismissed because of " customer complaints". When in fact I was let go because I stood up to the three jerks that were in charge and the college wanted to save money. To this day no one has been hired to replace me. Our clients told us what they wanted but the chef refused to make it without making it with some obscure ingredient added to it.

Advice to Management

Learn how to be part of a team and listen to other people. Our clients should be the most important thing, not the egos of the chef and operations manager.