Bon Appétit Management Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Bon Appétit Management CEO Fedele Bauccio
Fedele Bauccio

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work environment with full benefits package, and free meals everyday (in 16 reviews)

• Free food , great benefits, ability to move to different locations (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • No room for growth, unless you don't have an opinion, put your head down and let them abuse you (in 5 reviews)

• Of course that is a con of any food service job (in 8 reviews)

1. "Get out of here asap"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Savannah, GA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Bon Appétit Management as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

One free meal on your shift

Cons

Horrible management has been chasing away many good employees
    Lazy people are draining company money, so employees who actually work are not getting fair paid
    Managers do not even have their crew, because the local leadership do not want to hire any new people.
    Absolutely no outlook
    Lack of professionals

Advice to Management

Get rid of lazy people.

2. "Barista, Shopkeeper, Cashier"

I worked at Bon Appétit Management full-time

Pros

Easy to do, time passes when working, with chances to network when available. But that depends on you. The more devoted, the more opportunities.....

Cons

Management treats workers horribly, schemes easily to get people they deem obstacles in their inhumane agendas either fired, or laid off indefinitely, ultra-nepotism, given 29-32 hours a week, very expendable, and management practices borderline illegal tactics to undercut an employee's wages, saving more money and gaining them more praise from their superiors. Finally, with three types of employed non-managerial staff (cooks, utility, and cashiers/shopkeepers), the cashier position is erratic, with absolutely no coverage like that which support cooks, improper procedures in mgmt handling non-kitchen employees' shifts, and too many turnovers in management to keep morals high and productivity at an adequate level.

Advice to Management

Increase wages, find better management (people who won't compromise others to secure their own position), and actually talk to your employees. It is supposed to be a job that can help employees, not treat them like indentured slaves, modern slavery style.

3. "I WOULD RATHER....."

Former Employee - Cook in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Cook in Savannah, GA

I worked at Bon Appétit Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits if you can get your open enrollment information in time.

Cons

Management. High turnover rate caused an excessive amount of work to be placed on a few individuals. Many Chiefs and not enough natives, revolving door of supervising chefs that failed to enhance a cohesive unit.

Advice to Management

Hire and train ALL Managing staff to work in whatever capacity is needed at the facilities. Giving orders and following them in kind. And create an open forum to assist employees who have issues to address them without fear of retribution.

4. "Terrible for Chefs, overall a terrible company"

Former Employee - Executive Chef in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Executive Chef in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Bon Appétit Management full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Met a couple of good chefs, hours that i worked were better than restaurant hours.

Cons

Terrible senior management, very close minded. Too many steps to add or change something as simple as an allergen item in the menu. Menu writing takes a whole day, because of all the mindless and extra steps for each recipe. Countless and ineffective meetings, unhappy staff, call outs and non shows for work are a daily occurrence, senior management does not give tools or help to solve the problem. Focus on safety is excessive creating a stressful environment, resulting in way more accidents to report. Inexperienced management gets hire at all times. No room for growth, unless you don't have an opinion, put your head down and let them abuse you.

Advice to Management

Look into your daily operations, simplify you systems, emphasis should be in efficiency and actually making your accounts profitable. Try to save money to your clients,

5. "Try some where else, bad choice of employment."

I worked at Bon Appétit Management full-time

Pros

The money is really good, but you feel like you are selling your soul.

Cons

Bad management, not very friendly in terms of respect. Very disrespectful culture, a frat boy style of management.

"Unethical practices"

I worked at Bon Appétit Management full-time

Pros

Great hours, benefits and location.

Cons

This company does not even deserve 1 star. In all of my careers, this is the worse company I have ever worked for. No structure at all. Top managers do not speak to us, they just issue warnings and pink slips instead of explaining why or how so that we can grow and learn. Instead, they belittle you so they can feel powerful literally "do nothing all day." They don't really know how to communicate. And the best part about this, instead of correcting an issue on the spot - they wait 2-3 weeks before they write you up! Serious people???? The entire staff at my location are druggies, including the Chef! This company do not have resources that are accessible to the employees - different time zones is hard to work around. I strongly believe the reason behind this is that the entire company just don't care. Go to management for assistance and they just blow you off. A lot of unethical practices going on at my location. Too many temp employees with no commitment to "clean and honest" food service -and just here to collect a pay check. Bottom line - THEY DO NOT CARE AT ALL ABOUT THEIR EMPLOYEES, ONLY THE MANAGEMENT STAFF!

Advice to Management

Care more, guide and nurture your employees to success. Be honest and open and correct problems before they escalate. Have resources for employees and let them know that you care. And especially to management - stop feeling insecure about you own personal jobs and get your hands dirty. If you're good at your job and care about your staff, you'll be rewarded regardless. See, a respected employer can have his way with his staff without even having to ask as long as respect is on both ends. This is not about being powerful - but having compassion. Wouldn't it be a great feeling to know you were instrumental in someone's success?

"Constant work, with no chances at moving up."

Current Employee - Caterer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Caterer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Bon Appétit Management full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work is simple and you'll be kept busy, plenty of room to go above and beyond when taking the time to care about your work.

Cons

Management cares little is employees put in extra effort, and have no problems overworking them when given the chance. Employees can expect to work 5+ years without any chance at promotions

"Non Professional"

Former Employee - Executive Chef in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Executive Chef in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at Bon Appétit Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay
    Educational Account
    Closed for 6 weeks per year
    I don't work there any more
    Sucks, sucks, sucks, sucks, sucks, sucks

Cons

Did organized
    Managers smoking in walk ins
    Upper Management sleeping with Manager
    Shady Accounting- took vacation time away
    If you are not in the inner circle you are outcast
    No systems
    Manager meetings with no agendas
    Profane language used all the time

9. "a sad place to work"

Current Employee - Prep Cook in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Prep Cook in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Bon Appétit Management full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- free food
    - There are a few chefs who are good mentors. They seem to be the minority.

Cons

- the dishwasher with down syndrome hit on me
    - the health benefits that are promised by Bon Appetite and Google were impossible for me to sign up for.
    - the kitchen focuses on demerits before learning, goal setting, or thoughtful deliberation.
    -there are chefs who are good mentors (I met one) but any support they offer is squanders by the other white coats who out number them.
    - I felt restricted by their rules to wear cut gloves and let leads or sous chefs scream "ma!" at me while I was trained-- all of which resulted in me being reprimanded.
    -every question I had about demerits (that require signing a paper that goes on your work history) went in favor of someone who is Spanish speaking or latino and latina.

Advice to Management

The cafes and kitchens felt more like a correctional facility than a place to learn. I thought the management was brainwashed the way they couldn't identify between someone who comes in the morning with a positive attitude and does a job and her trainer who blares rap music at 5:30 am from a parking lot before work, offloads tasks at every chance to do as little work as possible, and can't have a one-on-one conversation about splitting tasks without bringing in two other mediators (every day).

"Supposedly, I heard Bon Appétit Management is good, but..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Marino, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Marino, CA

I have been working at Bon Appétit Management full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Benefit of free-meal
    Great co-workers (excluding management)
    Lots of overtime (BUT it's also in cons)
    Great place to work for - only because I'm working in the museum.

Cons

Old fashioned & Stubborn upper management

Unorganized company

Inconsistent food in the restaurant to serve the guests

No Management support seen because they are TOO busy 'tasting' the food (Really, it's just eating - at least 5 times daily is eating)

Inconsistent staff meals (sometimes blob and next thing )

Too many supervisors & managers, yet lack entry level staffs to get through the daily operations, so lots of overtime whenever the managers call you in.

Find yourself working while staffing is cut to their standard of module -- ratio of 1 cashier, 1 server/attendant, 1 dishwasher (if lucky 2), 2 cooks, and 3 managers serving 1000+ guests when in season and about 500+ guests when in school time.

Advice to Management

Get the message here! If everyone is trying to leave at the same time, why isn't management analyzing and trying to improve? All the excuses are bad and when any of the staffs are trying to tell the management something, they return with such scornful look on their faces telling off people that there is no problem in the account. When someone is turning in their 2 weeks notice, they berate people saying things like, "Well, I'm gonna have fun with less vacation, sleep, etc from now on." Whenever the staff wants to leave, they can leave with their 2 weeks notice. "You know that's bad on your record right?" The staff at least gave you 5 days notice, relax. If you couldn't find anyone new to work within that 5 days notice, it's the managers' ability.