Bon Appétit Management Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bon Appétit Management CEO Fedele Bauccio
Fedele Bauccio

Pros
  • Good work environment with full benefits package, and free meals everyday (in 13 reviews)

• Working in food service helps you develop a good work ethic (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Of course that is a con of any food service job (in 7 reviews)

• Low pay scale, expects too much from employees, rigid structure that makes everyone afraid that their job is on the line every single day (in 7 reviews)

1. "Try some where else, bad choice of employment."

I worked at Bon Appétit Management full-time

Pros

The money is really good, but you feel like you are selling your soul.

Cons

Bad management, not very friendly in terms of respect. Very disrespectful culture, a frat boy style of management.

2. "Food service management company that focuses on serving quality food and providing exceptional service."

Current Employee - First Cook in Santa Fe, NM
    Current Employee - First Cook in Santa Fe, NM

I have been working at Bon Appétit Management full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I work with a great group of professionals to provide quality products. I have the opportunity daily to learn cooking techniques with regard to utilizing local products and catering to specific dietary needs.

Cons

I am currently in a position that does not fully utilize my talents. I enjoy cooking, but I also have extensive management experience. Ideally I would like to be working in a position with more responsibilities and a leadership role.

3. ""I used to love her, but it's all over now""

Former Employee - Chef

I worked at Bon Appétit Management full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Could be a fun and challenging position as long as there is a strong team in place and the money to support a quality food program. It all depends on the account. Weekends off, free meals, decent benefits and a strong team atmosphere.

Cons

Little or no support from upper management. Shrinking food and labor budgets make it difficult to do quality work. No growth opportunities and lots of employee turnover. Great boutique company gobbled up by a much bigger company that is very bottom line driven.

Advice to Management

Take care of the people that take care of you.

4. "Unethical practices"

I worked at Bon Appétit Management full-time

Pros

Great hours, benefits and location.

Cons

This company does not even deserve 1 star. In all of my careers, this is the worse company I have ever worked for. No structure at all. Top managers do not speak to us, they just issue warnings and pink slips instead of explaining why or how so that we can grow and learn. Instead, they belittle you so they can feel powerful literally "do nothing all day." They don't really know how to communicate. And the best part about this, instead of correcting an issue on the spot - they wait 2-3 weeks before they write you up! Serious people???? The entire staff at my location are druggies, including the Chef! This company do not have resources that are accessible to the employees - different time zones is hard to work around. I strongly believe the reason behind this is that the entire company just don't care. Go to management for assistance and they just blow you off. A lot of unethical practices going on at my location. Too many temp employees with no commitment to "clean and honest" food service -and just here to collect a pay check. Bottom line - THEY DO NOT CARE AT ALL ABOUT THEIR EMPLOYEES, ONLY THE MANAGEMENT STAFF!

Advice to Management

Care more, guide and nurture your employees to success. Be honest and open and correct problems before they escalate. Have resources for employees and let them know that you care. And especially to management - stop feeling insecure about you own personal jobs and get your hands dirty. If you're good at your job and care about your staff, you'll be rewarded regardless. See, a respected employer can have his way with his staff without even having to ask as long as respect is on both ends. This is not about being powerful - but having compassion. Wouldn't it be a great feeling to know you were instrumental in someone's success?

5. "Horrible upper management across the board"

I have been working at Bon Appétit Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, free meals, chance to network with people in the food industry. A good entry level job.

Cons

Unfortunately, this motto is a lie....Bon Appétit is a diversity growth-oriented organization. Our goal is to improve the quality of work life by using fair and consistent treatment and providing equal growth opportunities for ALL associates. Low pay scale, expects too much from employees, rigid structure that makes everyone afraid that their job is on the line every single day

Advice to Management

Please pay closer attention to the motto. Do not make decision based on your own biased opinions. Some managers/general manager do not deserve the power that comes with their title. For that matter, they know nothing about their position. Therefore not earning the respect they should be receiving, and that's when favoritism comes into play.

6. "Chef"

Current Employee - Chef Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Chef Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Bon Appétit Management full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

High level of freedom, Able to be creative

Cons

Very long hours, many 6+ day weeks, no comp time

Advice to Management

Take care of managers better

7. "Bon App"

I worked at Bon Appétit Management full-time

Pros

Great corporate mission and values. Unique in that Chefs are allowed to do fine dining level food in a corporate/educational setting.

Cons

Preferred vendors and limits on what the Chefs can order due to company initiatives and volume pricing at corporate level can be a hindrance. Human Resources stretched extremely thin and as such issues are handled poorly. Sometimes company gets too caught up in its vision and loses sight of cooking good food. Increasing involvement by Compass Group takes some of the fun away.

Advice to Management

Figure out the HR situation, some of the gaffes I have seen (and experience) should be embarrassing for a company the size of Bon App. Protect the brand better.

8. "Different than any other kitchens"

Former Employee - Chef

I worked at Bon Appétit Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everything is made from scratch and there's a lot of room to learn and grow as a cook.

Cons

No raises.Ever. Extreme lack of support from upper management.

9. "General Manager"

I worked at Bon Appétit Management full-time

Pros

They prepare great, high quality food.

Cons

The values of Bon Appetite are not present in the account I worked at.

Advice to Management

Get feedback from all layers not just the executives at each unit.

"Constant work, with no chances at moving up."

Current Employee - Caterer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Caterer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Bon Appétit Management full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work is simple and you'll be kept busy, plenty of room to go above and beyond when taking the time to care about your work.

Cons

Management cares little is employees put in extra effort, and have no problems overworking them when given the chance. Employees can expect to work 5+ years without any chance at promotions