Bon Appetit Bakery Reviews | Glassdoor

Bon Appetit Bakery Reviews

2.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mahasti Mashhoon

1. "It's a great place to work"

I worked at Bon Appetit Bakery part-time

Pros

Attentive to detail, clean, and understanding

Cons

The supervisor of my establishment wasn't well suited for his position.

Advice to Management

When you see problems at the top, questions arise from the workers. Don't promote someone to management of they don't work well at a lower level, doesn't send a good message.

2. "Exceptional Work Place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vernon, CA

I have been working at Bon Appetit Bakery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bon Appetit has made it possible to have an exceptional work place environment. The owners have made a commitment to ensure that they have a strong management team to make this happen. I have worked for Bon Appetit for two years now, and do not see myself working anywhere else. I witnessed during my first year with the company a dysfunctional management style and I have been involved with reorganizing the structure of the company's environment. The dysfunctional management is no longer working for Bon Appetit which has made it possible to bring management to a higher level of support for the employees and continue to do so.

Cons

Two years ago I had many cons but I am happy to say that they have been addressed.

Advice to Management

Continue with showing recognition and support towards our employees for their efforts and hard work.

3. "Bon Appetit, A Great Journey"

Current Employee - Senior Strategic Account Executive in Vernon, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Strategic Account Executive in Vernon, CA

I have been working at Bon Appetit Bakery full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've been with Bon Appetit for just over 14yrs. I started out as a regional market manager in the Southern California area and all I can say is what a great journey, Over the years I've been challenged to succeed as well have been given the opportunity to excel. Today I am one of Bon Appetit's Senior Sales Account Executives with client responsibilities throughout the US, Canada and Mexico. Bon Appetit's team is one I have a great deal of respect for. They are a great group of people that I've enjoyed work with. Working at Bon Appetit has been a great experience and I look forward to many more years to come.

Cons

No Cons to speak of, great company.

Advice to Management

Thank you for letting me be a part of a great team.

"Concerning this company do not work for them!"

Current Employee - Regular Employee in Vernon, CA
    Current Employee - Regular Employee in Vernon, CA

I have been working at Bon Appetit Bakery full-time

Pros

There are no pros except you receive a paycheck & not a very good one at t hat!
    I've been there a long time & if some one says it's a great environment they are lying to themselves, & every one that reads these reviews!

Cons

There are no pros just cons,, pay is bad Management is horrible, they treat employees like cattle & only upper Management is rewarded, this review is in response to the 2 good reviews posted recently, stating a great work environment & no cons to speak of.

Please don't believe these 2 employees I know them personally, they don’t care for the regular employee, both will throw you under the bus first chance they get, & improve their standing with the owners!

Let me give you a few indisputable facts:
    1. Most companies will give you 15 or 20 minute breaks, this company only gives 10 minute Breaks (What the Law Allows) You tell me what you can do in 10 minutes?

2. The HR Manager is the Sister of the owner for Bon Appetit , so there is an obvious conflict of interest & never to the employees benefit.

3. They have High Definition cameras pointed to all employees desks, to make sure they are doing their jobs? If you don't trust your employees fire them, don't watch every move they make it’s not a prison! Cameras are for security not to watch employees work, that's unethical. They make bread for God’s sake!

4. When an email is sent everyone is copied including the owners, reason is if someone makes a mistake everyone knows of it & he or she is reprimanded right away! It's not professional, bad business practices, & breeds contempt.

These are just a few facts of this so called "great environment to work in" LOL

You be the Judge!

Advice to Management

Trust your employees & let them do their jobs stop Micromanaging therm !

"Don't work for this Company!"

Current Employee - Upper Management in Vernon, CA
    Current Employee - Upper Management in Vernon, CA

I have been working at Bon Appetit Bakery full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You get a paycheck , somewhere to pass the time.

Cons

Hi have never worked for a company with such terrible practices & culture, they will humiliate you if you fall out of their favor they will try to to get you to quit. I've worked for this company for over 8 years & I have never seen a Company treat employees to this extent,, as soon as I can I'll leave this job, its like being in a prison, please please don't work for this company you will regret it & it will damage you physically & emotionally!

Advice to Management

Let your employees do their jobs if they mess up fire them, don't micro Manage every aspect of their jobs.

"Tough to be an Independent Contractor for BA Bakery"

Former Contractor - Independent Contractor
    Former Contractor - Independent Contractor

I worked at Bon Appetit Bakery as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

Compensation by cash accounts can be very good

Cons

Many. Have to pay for Route, all equipment and supplies. No guarantee/protection for accounts. Management requires contracted Distributors to abide by certain requirements and allow non-contract Distributors to do whatever they want. Company(BA) would increased cost of product 10-15%+ without increase to sales price to corporate accounts (constant diminishing of margins). Cash accts. can pay well, corporate accts. are lousy. Managers will tell you whatever you want to hear to get you to service acct. but do little to improve situation or compensate for extra requirements.

Advice to Management

Arrogance isn't an ingredient for success.

"Former Employee"

Former Employee - No Comment in Vernon, CA
    Former Employee - No Comment in Vernon, CA

I worked at Bon Appetit Bakery full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

great product easy to sell to new accounts

Cons

I do not feel like typing that much to list all the cons. There is no clear direction with the company. I first that was a good thing that it was indiv. owned and we could change things quickly. I then understood that it was because total lack of leadership and understanding. If you talk a good game you will be fine. Top management reporting to Rick only tell him what he wants to hear not the truth. That is good for them as they get bigger titles each year (they are title whores). They treat everyone like third citizens, unless you go a long with talking points and you can servive a while.

Advice to Management

get some balls and tell Rick the real world

"Extremely frustrating-No respect for people from ownership to senior management. Do not trust employees."

Former Employee - Director/Sales/Operations in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director/Sales/Operations in New York, NY

I worked at Bon Appetit Bakery full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great-product, after this it is tough to say much.

Cons

No recognition of employee accomplishments, lack of support in all areas-of business this is because there is no clear business plan/strategy changes often. People are treated with no respect and are often spread all over the country as management reacts to daily crisis that are a result of lack of vision from senior staff, as they are focused on diverting from ownership the reality of all situations often blaming field staff for problems.

Advice to Management

Understand markets/develop plans and/support accordingly as opposed to changing often, support distributors/management. Listen to people in field, visit markets for understanding of markets across country.

"Working for a Company that does only the minimum"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vernon, CA

I have been working at Bon Appetit Bakery full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The only pro i can think of is having a place to work & make money .

Cons

This one of the worst company I've ever worked for this company makes false promises when I first started they promised a raise in 6 months after the time was done nothing was given it took them 3 years to finally get a raise, you are treated like cattle and the company only gives what the law allows, Management was recently changed from Salary to Hourly all to save money, this company does not care about its employees all it cares is how much work they can squeeze out of every employee.

Advice to Management

Please treat your employees with respect you get more work from a carrot then a stick!!

"The company is very secretive, those who "grow up" with the company receive special privileges."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vernon, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vernon, CA

Pros

umm...free bread samples...you are always busy. The more you work the more they expect out of you with no recognition.

Cons

You are treated with little to no respect. Secretive. Closed communication. Unprofessional H.R. department. Upper management treats lower level employees just like labor workers (almost slave like). Employees must fight for a raise and a review, only selected few are given raises based on favorites. They try to brain wash you into thinking they are doing you a favor by keeping you employed. Lots of broken promises from upper management. They offer the bare minimum benefits required by law. If they offer to review you in six months, get it in writing and have them sign it. (if you're lucky they'll honor it.) Whenever anything goes wrong, everybody blames another person. Nobody takes responsibility for their own action creating a stressful and hostile environment.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees. A thank you goes a long way. You'll get more out of your employees if you show them some respect rather than just working them to death and treat everybody equally.