Bon Secours Health Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 29, 2017

1.0
Rich Statuto

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Excellent tuition reimbursement for full-time employees up to 5k a year, great health care benefits and employee perks (in 8 reviews)

• Faith based, people first, strong providers and staff (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Random location, not a lot of room for growth (in 7 reviews)

• Have been short staffed lately so you pull a lot of work, which can be a great thing if you want hours (in 9 reviews)

"RN"

Former Employee - RN, Bsn in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - RN, Bsn in Richmond, VA

I worked at Bon Secours Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent co workers, tuition reimbursement, good insurance, job security.

Cons

Retention issues and pay not competitive. Seen many good nurses come and go, and replaced with less experienced nurses thus increasing work load on more experienced nurses. Work load is dangerous, in need of support staff. Systemic issues of ill management, office politics, and top heavy budget issues.

Advice to Management

Get competitive with other Hospitals, or continue to watch good experienced nurses get picked off and recruited by other venues.

"Service Advisor"

I worked at Bon Secours Health full-time

Pros

Easy interview process. Great benefits package, team outing events once every other month. Going to Orientation in Maryland.

Cons

Poor management, and pay. Call center environment, doctors that work for Bon Secours that call in to speak with HR are very rude. Hardly any room for growth. Very strict lunch schedule and you MUST be in at 7:59 am, are not allowed to be late but managers can be late every day or not come in to work at all.

Advice to Management

Do not show favoritism! Stop the micromanaging, call reviews are an absolute complete waste of time. Be more flexible with hours.

"DO NOT GET A JOB AS AN HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICE ADVISOR IN RICHMOND, VA"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Richmond, VA

I worked at Bon Secours Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You had a job that doesn't work on weekends

Cons

Basically, this is a call center, no way around it. The manager in the call center is ridiculous, they have so many people that have left because she is so micro-managing. That particular department's turnaround rate is ridiculously high!! I am surprised that she still a manager.
    If you are 1 min late, if you log into the system 1 min late (i.e. 8:01 am, you get an occurrence) this is crazy. This is why only a select few will stay in that dept. long. The people that are there are scared to leave because they have low self esteem that they will not do better in life. I certainly did. I stepped out on faith and not by sight. Thank you God, that I was able to get out of there. It was horrible everyday being monitored for everything that you do, even when you go to the rest room, you are monitored on how long you are in there. Sheesh.

Advice to Management

Don't micro manage your employees. Maybe you will have more employees other than the sheep you have that will stay.

"RN ST Francis Downtown Greenville, SC"

Former Employee - RN, Bsn in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - RN, Bsn in Greenville, SC

I worked at Bon Secours Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nothing comes to mind. Not the best place for new nurses to start. Mean staff, short staffed, too much gossip

Cons

Do not orient new staff long enough- as a new grad you get about 5 weeks training (some of these spent working as a Nursing assistant due to short staff) supposed to have 12 -
    Nurse patient ratio is ridiculous, dont get to spend hardly any time with each patient and provide proper care
    Staff are cruel to new nurses- get annoyed with questions, older nurses talk bad about you every time you turn around and treat you like an idiot
    Not as patient focused as I thought- used to be that everyone I asked had something good to say about an experience at st francis...nowadays hear only negative things
    Short staffed- constantly having to work as nursing assistant d/t shortages- staff also call in sick regularly whenever they want its like if you dont feel like working one day, just call in sick no biggie

Advice to Management

Train your employees! Environment needs to be more supportive for new nurses and talk to your older nurses about openly speaking negatively about new employees...it DOES get back to them

5. "Neuro Tech"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Bon Secours Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great physician and opportunity to learn!

Cons

Very unhealthy environment of poor patient care, bullying, HR & administration cover up. Hospital is struggling, physicians moving elsewhere and reputation is faultering.

Advice to Management

Accept accountability and consider the care of the patient as paramount.

6. "Surgical Authorization"

Former Employee - Authorization Surgical Specialist in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Authorization Surgical Specialist in Richmond, VA

I worked at Bon Secours Health (More than a year)

Pros

Steady paycheck somewhat benifits if that's what you call it

Cons

Pto, no bonuses, no morale

Advice to Management

No your employees jobs . Treat everyone equal. Treat your employees like human beings . Show that you appreciate them more. A lot of favorites.

"No Life other than work"

I worked at Bon Secours Health full-time

Pros

There were not Pros about working here.

Cons

Cannot ask questions. You can only say yes and not have any opinions.

8. "The MISSION broke my Heart!"

Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Richmond, VA

I worked at Bon Secours Health (More than a year)

Pros

The Mission and concept created to "Serve" those in need

Cons

Management-consists largely of non-educated persons "accidentally" rising within the system based entirely on "connections" Demonstrative of an extreme clique mentaility! Pushing out employees dedicated to providing service and care. HR refuses to investigate complaints of harassment and signs off on retaliatory terminations! The mission betrays itself with it's approach ( selection) of middle mangement

Advice to Management

Listen to your employee's and base your actions upon evidence supported with FACT! not hearsay of employee's with "Agendas"!

"White folks are the slaves"

Pros

I really enjoyed my first few years working there most of the staff was nice and I felt that I was helping people my boss was wonderful and life could not get better. I think the benefits were good and the longer you stay with the company the more PTO you get I did think that some of the people that worked are generally cared about me I have great co-workers in my department

Cons

I'm sorry to say that discrimination is still alive and well at Bon Secours I had a boss from hell and she wanted to upset me to no end she wanted to break people down she enjoyed seeing them sweat and if you were white and she really wanted to mess with you. Supervisors unfair they lie and do not give you credit my supervisor wanted to make my life hell and also other people treated bad too. Also they have their own little favorites like other supervisors that come along look like they're there for support when they're just trying to make things look good for that boss I saw a lot of people people leaving very good people leave that work supervisors and they couldn't stand it anymore so they left I wish they would have stayed I finally had to leave because of my stress level and to keep my sanity.

Advice to Management

Don't go around scaring your employees act like you care about them show them some compassion like you did me at first and then I understand that the person that made my life hell was finally let go later but the damage had already been done and what the sad part is that I would have stay there until I retired because I really love my job

10. "Stay away from the Home Health Dept"

Current Employee - Staff Therapist in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Staff Therapist in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Bon Secours Health part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Many great people at the staff level in therapy dept.

Cons

Senior Nursing and clinical leaders are our of touch and have no idea what they are doing. Productivity expectations are too high. Company is profit driven and it shows. High burn out risk for staff.

Advice to Management

Hire leaders who are competent, care about people and have character as opposed to those who are just there for a paycheck and retirement benefits.