Bon Secours Health Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8
Rich Statuto

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Excellent tuition reimbursement for full-time employees up to 5k a year, great health care benefits and employee perks (in 8 reviews)

• Faith based, people first, strong providers and staff (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Random location, not a lot of room for growth (in 7 reviews)

• The floor I worked on was short staffed most of the time (in 9 reviews)

"not very good"

Former Employee - CNA in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - CNA in Saint Petersburg, FL

Pros

worked there to start as cna and for the patients

Cons

poor management ,do not take care of the current employees

Advice to Management

replace some of the managment

"Horrible place to work. The butt kissers prosper. Hard workers are ignored. Docs are bullies."

Former Employee - Registered Nurse
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse

I worked at Bon Secours Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

None that I can think if

Cons

Will work you to death . Inadequate staff. Lazy employees. Hostile workplace. Worked short nearly every day.

Advice to Management

Management is incompetent and indifferent to staff.

"Throwing out nurses that have been there 20 years plus replacing with cheaper help"

Former Employee - Staff Nurse in Port Jervis, NY
    Former Employee - Staff Nurse in Port Jervis, NY

I worked at Bon Secours Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

None, Closed Pediatrics, maturnity, Nursing home running @ 70%, cutting corners and losing doctors. Google them an see

Cons

Ungratful group of administrators that have no interest in community. Losing money because of bad management

Advice to Management

Bring back the employees who served that hospital for 20 and 30 years you fired. stop the lawsuits against you for firing without cause, Lose the union you bought off. Bring back the Dr.'s that are running like a bunch of rats on a sinking ship. Get a in house emergency staff that admits patients instead of keeping half your beds empty. Fire the board and all your 25 year old no experience management. that no one respects

"Scheduling outpatient tests and verifying insurance information"

I worked at Bon Secours Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company conscious of employee health needs. Promotion from within

Cons

Too many managerial favorites not doing their share of the work. Office culture favors the "in" groups. Lack of professionalism

Advice to Management

micro manage..be aware of the employees not doing their share and rectify the situation

"Awful place to work."

Pros

Decent benefits. Some good coworkers, but only few and far between.

Cons

Too many to name. Uncaring executives, managers. No concern for their "beneath" them staff. Nurse to pt ratios are terrible, unsafe and impossible.

Advice to Management

Learn to care more about the wellbeing of your pts and staff instead of $$$$ and media attention!!!! Hire COMPETENT floor managers. Get rid of bullies.

"Fired all nurses there over 25 years"

Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Port Jervis, NY
    Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Port Jervis, NY

Pros

Small town. that needs local care

Cons

Port Jervis
    I worked there for 30+ years and fired 2 days after my anniversary, Excuse was to many call outs even though I had 30 days in sick bank and my mother got ill and I needed to help her. they have done this to over 2 dozen other long time employees so younger less expensive nurses took their places. They have closed maternity ward, outsourced ER unit and now controlled out of Virginia. Now they supposedly sold to Westchester Medical and are turning into same day surgery and cutting beds in half, Should no longer be called a Hospital

Advice to Management

Turn back to a Hospital and try and restore Community Hospital

"Lots of Chief's not enough Indians EVER"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Greenville, SC

I worked at Bon Secours Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Learned a lot of over the years. In the beginning it was a good place to work, it felt like being part of a family. Made many good friends. Great teamwork in some departments.

Cons

Short staffed everyday 2-3 people, every shift. Lots of unexperienced nurses being hired and not properly trained. Management focuses on everything but patient care. Patient satisfaction is talked about all the time however most EVERY department works short, housekeeping, nursing (for sure), kitchen staff. You cannot provide adequate patient care without the people to do it.

Advice to Management

Be consistent. Do not base promotions, raises off of who your friends are. If you are going to be in a position of management telling others how to do their job then most likely you should know how to do their job. For example, if you are the director of a unit then you should have previously worked in the same type of unit. When you treat your staff like they matter and that you care then they will go above and beyond to help you. Hire some staff, some experienced staff. No one wants to go to the hospital when they are sick and be taken care of by a brand new nurse especially if that nurse sits at the desk with ear buds in watching movies and tv shows. Get back to the roots of what Bon Secours use to be. For the upper management writing checks for (1/2 million- 1 million) for equipment that is never used- GET RID OF THEM, they are wasting your money. Hire someone who has a clue as to what they are doing not someone that can talk a good game, they need to be able to walk it too.

"Human Resource Service Advisor"

I worked at Bon Secours Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Off on weekends and this is good for a call center. Team events were a plus.

Cons

The manager was incompetent and did not have a college degree. Training was horrible. The younger team lead did not know how to lead the team. She did not motivate anyone. There were too many tasks going on at once.

Advice to Management

Train your leaders on how to train staff so that everyone has consistency. I suggested that there we're alternating tasks, some do emails, some take calls etc. It was very overwhelming to do everything. Maybe it could just be a center where employees just answer emails, unassigned cases. Management just needs help in making the workload a little better for employees, It was very stressful for me, I dreaded coming to work. Half of the team transferred out of the department due to lack of good management.

9. "Stay away from the Home Health Dept"

Current Employee - Staff Therapist in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Staff Therapist in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Bon Secours Health part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Many great people at the staff level in therapy dept.

Cons

Senior Nursing and clinical leaders are our of touch and have no idea what they are doing. Productivity expectations are too high. Company is profit driven and it shows. High burn out risk for staff.

Advice to Management

Hire leaders who are competent, care about people and have character as opposed to those who are just there for a paycheck and retirement benefits.

"White folks are the slaves"

Pros

I really enjoyed my first few years working there most of the staff was nice and I felt that I was helping people my boss was wonderful and life could not get better. I think the benefits were good and the longer you stay with the company the more PTO you get I did think that some of the people that worked are generally cared about me I have great co-workers in my department

Cons

I'm sorry to say that discrimination is still alive and well at Bon Secours I had a boss from hell and she wanted to upset me to no end she wanted to break people down she enjoyed seeing them sweat and if you were white and she really wanted to mess with you. Supervisors unfair they lie and do not give you credit my supervisor wanted to make my life hell and also other people treated bad too. Also they have their own little favorites like other supervisors that come along look like they're there for support when they're just trying to make things look good for that boss I saw a lot of people people leaving very good people leave that work supervisors and they couldn't stand it anymore so they left I wish they would have stayed I finally had to leave because of my stress level and to keep my sanity.

Advice to Management

Don't go around scaring your employees act like you care about them show them some compassion like you did me at first and then I understand that the person that made my life hell was finally let go later but the damage had already been done and what the sad part is that I would have stay there until I retired because I really love my job