Bon Secours Health Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Rich Statuto

Pros
  • Faith based organization; great people (in 6 reviews)

• Faith-based organization with strong values (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Random location, not a lot of room for growth (in 6 reviews)

• The floor I worked on was short staffed most of the time (in 7 reviews)

1. "Radiology Scheduler"

Former Employee - Radiology Scheduler in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Radiology Scheduler in Richmond, VA

I worked at Bon Secours Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly coworkers, fast PTO accrual, fair pay.

Cons

Not a lot of advancement opportunities, had to come in on the weekends occasionally

2. "What you make of it"

I have been working at Bon Secours Health full-time

Pros

Freedom to explore all aspects of healthcare sectors and great access to executive leadership

Cons

Very little direction at times. There are also individuals that will have you do their work and then take credit for it.

3. "Great people, shackled to a disfunctional organization"

Former Employee - Senior Network Security Engineer in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Network Security Engineer in Richmond, VA

I worked at Bon Secours Health (More than 10 years)

Pros

The individual line employees, on the whole, are absolutely committed to the mission of patient care.
    I spent time throughout the system and found that true no matter if I was at Maria Manor in St Pete, or at SMH in Richmond, or at Good Sam in Suffern.
    In the Enterprise IT/IS groups, you will get exposure to plenty of technologies and have a chance to work with some smart engineering talent, as well as form relationships with the markets.
    You can also count of travel across the ministry, which I always enjoyed, since I liked going deep out in the field and helping.
    I was able to build some productive and close relationships, which I cherish and I'm sad to leave.

Cons

Unfortunately, management is either almost totally disconnected from the daily issues or stuck in a micromanagement paradigm so don't expect any help from that front. Even more unfortunately, the organization is driven from the top down so forget about trying to get things changed, even if management repeatedly, and publicly, states that changes will happen.
    Add to that, these organizations are amazingly silo'd - BSHSI is basically a collection of hospitals with similar logos versus a cohesive company, so that makes change, especially changes to the organization, almost impossible, since no apple carts can be upset, because that means, somebody, somewhere, will complain.
    Communication is a step up from radio silence - it can feel like it's used for management to pat themselves on the back, and then try and squeeze something else out of you since the groups are run lean, but costs must be contained! But Bon Secours Richmond can spend $6 million on the Redskins summer camp partnership and then turn around and plead poverty to replace a patient care system that's end of support.
    Did I mention the hiring freeze and low wages making attracting talent hard to find? Don't worry, senior IS management is convinced that the market in Richmond is awash with talent available for the asking so let's keep arranging the deck chairs on this here ship. Is that an iceberg? Nah, can't be!

Advice to Management

I don't honestly know if this ship can be righted. Talk is very cheap, but action seems like it has a price on it that we are unwilling to pay. It feels like as long as the checks keep coming, nobody in Marriottsville is going to rock the boat and overturn some rice bowls.

5. "Hospitalist Program Administrator"

Former Employee - Administrator in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Administrator in Richmond, VA

I worked at Bon Secours Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Faith based, people first, strong providers and staff. Extremely giving and caring organization to the community and its employees

Cons

Slow in making major decisions that could have a strong and positive financial impact on system

6. "DO NOT GET A JOB AS AN HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICE ADVISOR IN RICHMOND, VA"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Richmond, VA

I worked at Bon Secours Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You had a job that doesn't work on weekends

Cons

Basically, this is a call center, no way around it. The manager in the call center is ridiculous, they have so many people that have left because she is so micro-managing. That particular department's turnaround rate is ridiculously high!! I am surprised that she still a manager.
    If you are 1 min late, if you log into the system 1 min late (i.e. 8:01 am, you get an occurrence) this is crazy. This is why only a select few will stay in that dept. long. The people that are there are scared to leave because they have low self esteem that they will not do better in life. I certainly did. I stepped out on faith and not by sight. Thank you God, that I was able to get out of there. It was horrible everyday being monitored for everything that you do, even when you go to the rest room, you are monitored on how long you are in there. Sheesh.

Advice to Management

Don't micro manage your employees. Maybe you will have more employees other than the sheep you have that will stay.

7. "Great Workplace"

Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Bon Secours Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Read the history of Bon Secours and you'll be amaze on what we are about. Great office manager and co-workers. Weekend off

Cons

There are very "few"that don't their work evenly and slack around. BSMA is the best office in all Hamptons Road

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and Thank you for giving me the opportunity to grow be a team member on the holy ground and be "Good Help"

8. "title"

Current Employee - Unit Secretary in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Unit Secretary in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Bon Secours Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good people good doctors and staff

Cons

no ot always called off because of census

9. "Community Outreach Coordinator"

I worked at Bon Secours Health full-time

Pros

Good Coworkers, allows for growth

Cons

It was far distance to work.

10. "lpn"

Pros

Good Co Workers, relationships with patient, tuition reimbursement.

Cons

No room for growth, everyone wants to move up!,Low pay, Low - if any yearly increase.

Advice to Management

Nursing can not be computer generated! nursing staff is over worked and truly under paid, Numerous positions open in company due to lack of pay!

11. "Great organization to work for"

I worked at Bon Secours Health part-time

Pros

Great coworkers, Understanding Management, Tuition reimbursement

Cons

Limited mobility and job review
    Turnover is inconsistent