Bon-Ton Stores Reviews | Glassdoor

Bon-Ton Stores Reviews

Updated April 28, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Unstable retail environment ,new upper management (in 24 reviews)

• No work life balance to speck of (in 12 reviews)

1. "Receiver"

Former Employee - Receiving Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Receiving Associate in New York, NY

Pros

Relatively laid back and casual

Cons

Hard work. Early hours. Badly managed

"Merchandise Assistant: A Mind-Numbing Experience"

Former Employee - Merchandise Assistant in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Merchandise Assistant in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Bon-Ton Stores full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to work downtown, shop sample sales, gain insight in the buying and planning process, and, if you're lucky to get a micro-managing boss on a power-trip, you'll grow some thick skin.

Cons

I was provided with little training upon entering my role and left with a boss who understood I was still learning, but just used that as a good excuse to speak to me as if I was an idiot. In this position, you have no goals to work towards. There's nothing you could possibly "do well" or take genuine pride in. That's why it was no surprise to me that I was never told "good job" or any other form of encouragement. It's the type of work that you either simply get done or you don't. You might start as a temp with low pay. On top of this low pay you are not given any company benefits and you must pay for parking every day. You're not even given an employee number or allowed to receive sales reports needed to do your job, which does make you feel like you're not really part of "the team," which, on hard days, makes it really difficult to even care. The company atmosphere is EXTREMELY dated. I experienced a very "clicky" environment among the younger employees in every department I worked in. The older employees proved helpful, but also very stuck in their ways. Buyers and assistant merchants work more than 40 hours a week and will absolutely bleed their unhappiness and stress onto you (screaming in your car when you leave is a great stress reliever). It's hard to describe, but a lot of the relationships between people are blatantly fake. This observation was always solidified when I walked into a cubical full of gossip, including the one I worked in- but, hey, that's just corporate America. The computer system that styles are set up in and orders are created is easy to understand (if someone is nice enough to show you how to use it). Once you realize just how many vendors, order numbers, and samples you deal with, and how much to you are relied on to keep these things up-to-date, you start looking in your wallet and wondering if this is worth it. Overall, if you're searching for some exposure in the "fashion" industry (quotes because this is Wisconsin) but also be treated like an actual human being of VALUE...then look elsewhere. I'm not some uneducated ex-employee with a bad work ethic going on a rant. I was just really excited to work here and was completely disappointed.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees better and try showing them how much you care for their hard work. Put together a more solid training program, put less words on your advertisements and website, and realize you have creative employees full of potential that can help point you in the right direction of REBRANDING that the company absolutely needs.

3. "60+ day Review"

Current Employee - PreMedia Image Coordinator in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - PreMedia Image Coordinator in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Bon-Ton Stores full-time

Pros

Great people, great atmosphere, and doesn't always feel like work.

Cons

Dealing with downtown city traffic and having to pay for parking.

"Decent perks, but management is a mess."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Bon-Ton Stores full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good employee discount
    Decent insurance benefits
    Sample sales are a great perk

Cons

Management won't stick to a decision, EVER
    Employees are not appreciated
    Turnover is horrendous
    Suck ups get promoted, over people who are more qualified
    They hire recent college grads at higher pay than current employees

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better, and they'll be more productive. Management needs to stand behind its decisions, and not be so flaky. HR is incompetent, and can't be trusted to handle conflict or sensitive situations appropriately.

6. "Love it"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bloomington, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bloomington, IL

Pros

One of the best places to work. I loved my boss and my co-workers.

Cons

None really, beware of Holiday retail and hours... haha

7. "Great environment, but corporate is out of touch."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Bon-Ton Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-My Bonton had very flexible hours and work with whatever availability I gave them, this is rare most days.
    -Most of my managers were fair and fun people to work with, they kept you on track but were always nice.
    -Pretty good employee discount on clothing, you can get some good stuff for pretty cheap.
    -I was given many opportunities to move up, but I turned them down because I never planned on working here long-term.
    -If you want to work a lot, work here during the Holiday season, you'll get all the hours you can handle.

Cons

-In the Spring and Summer, business slows down and the day can be pretty boring, minimal customers (except sales), fluffing and folding all day.
    -The coupons are an absolute nightmare to figure out and are never really consistent with the exclusions on them. This made for many frustrations among associates and customers. There needs to be a need coupon policy/strategy, this one isn't working.
    -Lots of inventory comes out weekly and I usually placed it on the floor in my department my self. It can be pretty intimidating at first but I got used to it.
    -My store needed many repairs and there was leaking from the ceiling when it rained. The store looked really out-dated too.

Advice to Management

Re-invest into your stores and revise the coupon strategy.

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Buyer in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Buyer in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

The Bon Ton's associates are it's #1 asset and the #1 reason for working here. I have not met a person I have not liked and the common characteristic among all of them is that they are driven and committed to getting better. Outside of the people we have a phenomenal employee discount.

Cons

Corporate headquarters in Milwaukee need a little bit of updating.

Advice to Management

The management at Bon Ton has a very clear vision for the future that is incredibly refreshing to hear. There is no denying that the brick and mortar retail environment is challenging at the moment but we are committed to being true to who we are with our 7 name plates while embracing the changing climate.

"No Flexibility, Too Demanding"

Former Employee - Polo Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Polo Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Bon-Ton Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people that are not associated with management are for the most part great. Some customers are nice, and when it is very busy the time of your shift goes by very quickly.

Cons

Management from a department level and up is sub-par, mediocre at best. There is no understanding or flexibility within your schedule, and you are required to take an entire week of vacation at a time. You are not allowed to use vacation days to take one or two days off at a time. The raises and compensation increases are few and far between; the company certainly understands the concept of "nickel and diming" people, with an emphasis on its employees. If you are not prepared to try and open up 5 credit accounts per shift, be prepared not to see any pay increase on your annual review.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees, they are the first point of contact your customers encounter. The stringent rules on every single little thing could probably serve to be reviewed and improved upon.

10. "Poor management, good benefits"

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Westfield, MA
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Westfield, MA

I worked at Bon-Ton Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Prizes and commission for store card applications, nice coworkers

Cons

Poor management, outdated store and technology

Advice to Management

Improve technology

"Coming or going?"

Current Employee - Selling Supervisor in Bourbonnais, IL
    Current Employee - Selling Supervisor in Bourbonnais, IL

Pros

Management is extremely loose when it comes to the day to day operations of the company. Interestingly enough that is.

Cons

There never seems to be proper training in place for base level employees. What training is providing comes from the few good rogues in the company

Advice to Management

Breed leadership