Bon-Ton Stores Reviews | Glassdoor

Bon-Ton Stores Reviews

Updated March 19, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Unstable retail environment ,new upper management (in 24 reviews)

• No work life balance to speck of (in 12 reviews)

1. "Great Environment"

I have been working at Bon-Ton Stores (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love my store and the people I work with.

Cons

The hours can be difficult for some.

"Decent Sales Associate Position"

I worked at Bon-Ton Stores part-time

Pros

Competitive starting pay, great employee discount, and clear expectactions

Cons

Difficult to get a raise due to the fact it is heavily based on the number of store cards opened. This is difficult for individuals in smaller towns or that "dead" work hours where far less customers come into the store. Disconnect between management and employees. Lack of meaningful work and initiative for change is poor. The company also does not promote from within, meaning there is far less motivation to excel.

Advice to Management

Allow promotion within, rather than hiring outsiders. Balance the store card quota based on various things such as (hours worked, time of day worked, and total sales within that time period).

3. "customer service"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in West Seneca, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in West Seneca, NY

I have been working at Bon-Ton Stores (More than a year)

Pros

I love the employees and customers I deal with every day,My supervisior is pleasant to work with,I also enjoy the discount.

Cons

They don't have enough employees on hand to work,so it adds more work load to us,but I do not mind,I like to stay busy.

Advice to Management

Try to schedule more help,You need more employees to do ad set , Don't hire such young kids because they don't like to work.

"Bon ton hates it's employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Jefferson, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Jefferson, OH

I have been working at Bon-Ton Stores full-time

Pros

Lousy management, horrible pay and they just don't care about you.

Cons

They hate their employees and their customers

Advice to Management

Don't take people's pay away!!! We have children to feed and bills to pay.

6. "Sales"

Pros

Flexible work hours around college classes

Cons

Required to work several holidays

"Lack of VIsion and Leadership"

I have been working at Bon-Ton Stores full-time

Pros

Because the work environment is so poor, you tend to befriend your colleagues quicker, to endure the pain together of the overall company. The people are wonderful at the non management/executive level.

Cons

There is a lack of vision and leadership at the Bon-Ton, so any good intentions by any level in the company fall short.
    Leaders in HR are completely removed from the corporate environment, and are non supportive on multiple levels.

8. "Receiver"

Former Employee - Receiving Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Receiving Associate in New York, NY

Pros

Relatively laid back and casual

Cons

Hard work. Early hours. Badly managed

"Merchandise Assistant: A Mind-Numbing Experience"

Former Employee - Merchandise Assistant in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Merchandise Assistant in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Bon-Ton Stores full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to work downtown, shop sample sales, gain insight in the buying and planning process, and, if you're lucky to get a micro-managing boss on a power-trip, you'll grow some thick skin.

Cons

I was provided with little training upon entering my role and left with a boss who understood I was still learning, but just used that as a good excuse to speak to me as if I was an idiot. In this position, you have no goals to work towards. There's nothing you could possibly "do well" or take genuine pride in. That's why it was no surprise to me that I was never told "good job" or any other form of encouragement. It's the type of work that you either simply get done or you don't. You might start as a temp with low pay. On top of this low pay you are not given any company benefits and you must pay for parking every day. You're not even given an employee number or allowed to receive sales reports needed to do your job, which does make you feel like you're not really part of "the team," which, on hard days, makes it really difficult to even care. The company atmosphere is EXTREMELY dated. I experienced a very "clicky" environment among the younger employees in every department I worked in. The older employees proved helpful, but also very stuck in their ways. Buyers and assistant merchants work more than 40 hours a week and will absolutely bleed their unhappiness and stress onto you (screaming in your car when you leave is a great stress reliever). It's hard to describe, but a lot of the relationships between people are blatantly fake. This observation was always solidified when I walked into a cubical full of gossip, including the one I worked in- but, hey, that's just corporate America. The computer system that styles are set up in and orders are created is easy to understand (if someone is nice enough to show you how to use it). Once you realize just how many vendors, order numbers, and samples you deal with, and how much to you are relied on to keep these things up-to-date, you start looking in your wallet and wondering if this is worth it. Overall, if you're searching for some exposure in the "fashion" industry (quotes because this is Wisconsin) but also be treated like an actual human being of VALUE...then look elsewhere. I'm not some uneducated ex-employee with a bad work ethic going on a rant. I was just really excited to work here and was completely disappointed.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees better and try showing them how much you care for their hard work. Put together a more solid training program, put less words on your advertisements and website, and realize you have creative employees full of potential that can help point you in the right direction of REBRANDING that the company absolutely needs.

10. "60+ day Review"

Current Employee - PreMedia Image Coordinator in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - PreMedia Image Coordinator in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Bon-Ton Stores full-time

Pros

Great people, great atmosphere, and doesn't always feel like work.

Cons

Dealing with downtown city traffic and having to pay for parking.

"Decent perks, but management is a mess."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Bon-Ton Stores full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good employee discount
    Decent insurance benefits
    Sample sales are a great perk

Cons

Management won't stick to a decision, EVER
    Employees are not appreciated
    Turnover is horrendous
    Suck ups get promoted, over people who are more qualified
    They hire recent college grads at higher pay than current employees

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better, and they'll be more productive. Management needs to stand behind its decisions, and not be so flaky. HR is incompetent, and can't be trusted to handle conflict or sensitive situations appropriately.