Bon-Ton Stores Reviews | Glassdoor

Bon-Ton Stores Reviews

Updated October 17, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Outside of the people we have a phenomenal employee discount (in 67 reviews)

• Photo studio only) There are lots of great people to work with in a fun atmosphere (in 32 reviews)

Cons

"Good Employees, Poor Corporate Management"

Current Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Allentown, PA

I have been working at Bon-Ton Stores full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, friendly staff, not picky about hiring

Cons

Bare minimum payment and hours, hours often cut, minimal raises and little room to move up the company ladder.

Advice to Management

Cut million dollar CEO bonuses and salaries so you can pay your associates enough to make a living wage. Ask your associates what thing are and are not working at a store level.

"sales supervisor"

Current Employee - Sales Supervisor
    Current Employee - Sales Supervisor

I have been working at Bon-Ton Stores full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

good employee discount, good coupons for sales

Cons

the staff is so over worked and there is so little staff allowed to be scheduled that nothing can get done, customer service is non existant, and every employee is stress to the max. I work in a 100,000 sq ft , 2 floor store, and we are only allowed a staff of 10 covering both daytime and night shifts. That means many nights there is on 2 or 3 people on a floor. And the theft that goes on is ridiculous.
    w

Advice to Management

Stop being penny wise and dollar foolish. You preach customer service, but your bad decisions or making the customers frustrated and NOT wanting to shop IN the stores

"Terrible Leaders, apply elsewhere"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Bon-Ton Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The location is pretty nice and convenient. If you need to run an errand in the mall or want to walk across the street to a Farmers market in summer it's nice. In Summer time most departments are allowed to leave early on Fridays. The sample sales are also nice- you get products for cheap.

Cons

Many of the managers are terrible here (not all of them are terrible, but many are). They do not support their employees. Managers have a lack of professionalism and are lazy. In the department I worked at, my manager was a micro-manager. The role I held had extremely high turn over. Within a few days of me starting at the job I was told co-workers were already taking bets on how long I'd stay in the position because the previous 4 people who held the same role as I did, lasted less than a year due to the manager who oversaw my role. The assistant manager in the department would hang out with direct reports on the weekend laughing and having a good time, then go in to work the next morning and would try to get the direct reports written up. At least in the department I worked in, none of the co-workers could stand the manager and assistant manager. Many were counting down days to retirement and/or until they could find a different job. I heard cringe worthy stories from other departments as well. After I left the position and moved on to another company, I heard from my former co-workers, my replacement only lasted 6 months.

Advice to Management

If a specific role is getting high turnover where a consecutive 6 people in a row can't stand to last more than a year within the job due to management, you need to take a look at replacing that manager. Bon-Ton's sales have been declining for the past few years. This company (along with a lot of other retail stores) are going down hill. I'd say give it another 10 or less years and this company won't make it. Poor leadership with so-so skill level won't cut it now a days.

4. "Decent company"

I have been working at Bon-Ton Stores full-time

Pros

Nice people. Everyone tries to do a good job.

Cons

Cost cutting needs to be done with eye on TCO.

5. "Overall okay"

I worked at Bon-Ton Stores part-time

Pros

The environment was friendly and the workers were great.

Cons

Wasn't taught everything I needed to know before beginning the job which led to confusion

Advice to Management

Train a little better

6. "Old fashioned customer service, great atmosphere"

Former Employee - Retail Associate in Buckhorn, Columbia, PA
    Former Employee - Retail Associate in Buckhorn, Columbia, PA

I worked at Bon-Ton Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I spent a summer in college working as a retail associate with Bon-Ton, in a smaller store that was one of the few places surviving at our local mall. I enjoyed working for Bon-Ton because of their commitment to personalized customer service. Part of the reason the store was still open in an otherwise abandoned mall was customer loyalty. Associates were encouraged to offer personalized shopping services which tended to be popular with the older clientele. Made customer interactions more rewarding.

Co-workers were friendly and supervisors were extremely helpful. Supportive staff made even slow, long, or hard days feel manageable.

Good balance between providing incentives for associates to achieve certain goals (e.g. sign up new customers for the company credit card and qualify for drawings or discounts) without overdoing it (if you've ever had an associate try to strong-arm you into a card, it's awful; Bon-Ton never pushed this kind of program on associates and through them customers in such an off-putting way).

Cons

Great company, but our location was less than stellar. Did not see much sunlight during the day and no windows in the break room. Absolutely would go work for them again, but I would probably take my breaks outside or in the car just to see the light of day!

"Talented Creatives, Deeply Flawed Leadership"

Former Employee - Copywriter in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Copywriter in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Bon-Ton Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I spent three years at Bon-Ton's corporate office and generally found it to be a good place to work.
    Standard 9-5, but scheduling was flexible if you had appointments, personal issues, etc.
    Excellent location downtown; this made lunches and breaks feel like actual time away from work
    I worked with many creative, talented people who pushed out a remarkable amount of work in record time

Cons

New ideas were not appreciated or heeded by upper management (at least in marketing)
    No room to advance for creatives
    Salaries were low and raises were pitiful; this was made worse by seeing marketing employees promoted after less than 12 months
    Upper level marketing employees were far to interested in the finite details to the extent that copywriters were no longer allowed to write email subject lines (the CMO himself demanded to do that work)
    As in all brick and mortar retail, the business was not doing well and this made for a stressful environment

Advice to Management

Stop worrying yourself with the minute details and let your teams do the work they were hired to do.
    Do not be so stubborn that you let good ideas and good employees walk away.

"Good Starting Job"

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate

I worked at Bon-Ton Stores part-time

Pros

Good job for those looking for a part-time position in high school or college. Gives you a chance to learn the basics of customer service.

Cons

There was very little training. I felt like I was thrown on a register before I should've been. New hires basically have to learn as they go and it can be stressful, especially if you have difficult customers.

Advice to Management

Focus more on training new employees when they come in.

"Good for the goose, but not the gander"

Current Employee - Merchandise Assistant in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Merchandise Assistant in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Bon-Ton Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Office environment
    Busy
    Downtown Location
    Sample Sales
    Extra discount events
    Ability to take off for Dr. appointments or other personal things, but make up hours coming in early or staying late.

Cons

HR is completely disconnected from what is really going on. Going to HR with anything other than praise is quickly turned against you.
    Management plays favorites in promotions. It is not based on skill, time, or drive.
    You are forced to work in a cubical with your buying office, but none of you report to the same manager, so what is good for one isn't for another.
    Long time salary employees are untouchable and work the system taking additional time off and getting paid for full time hours. (i.e. working 4 days a week and getting paid as if they work 5 days for weeks on end)
    Love to dazzle fresh out of college recruits and give them bonuses the company can't afford while holding raises for employees.
    They do not promote from within as they claim. You must be liked in order to do anything.

Advice to Management

When there's smoke there's fire. Stop being so surprised that when the ship is finally sinking there had been a hole that had been patched repeatedly for a year. Take what an employee is saying and actually take steps to rectify the situation not turn the employee into a problem child. If after two years there are only 3 remaining people in that same division that should be HUGE flags. Part of why things are failing is because we can not set a course and stick with it. Yes there will always need to be fluidity, but changing direction every other month leaves employees and customers confused as well as too much re-work.

"Stepping stone"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Jefferson, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Jefferson, OH

I have been working at Bon-Ton Stores full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Schedule flexibility, good home/work life.

Cons

Too few opportunities for advancement. Low wages.

Advice to Management

Management pretends to listen to employee issues then tosses them to the side. Advancement opportunities are promised but are never created.