Bonaventure Realty Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dwight D. Dunton III

1. "Great company with Core Values"

Current Employee - Property Manager in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Bonaventure Realty Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The owner is extremely supportive. Out of all the other property management companies I have worked for I have seen and spoken with him more times in one month than i have with other owners in 2 years! I have been personally encouraged to "run my cruise ship" and although that required staff change I appreciate that upper management is giving me room to improve the overall operations of the property and staff morale.

Cons

Not having a regional in place however this is supposed to change soon. My property receives a lot of attention and I have to admit it would be nice to directly go to one person first for an answer. It can get time consuming to get an answer sometimes but this is every property management company.

"What A Disaster!"

Current Employee - Manager in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Bonaventure Realty Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

OMG.. I can't even think of one yet. The paycheck isn't even worth the stress and backstabbing!

Cons

Where do you start??! Cleaning house from day 1.. Giving poor excuses for why people are going to be immediately terminated or laid off.. Random HR guy that is remote and fires people over the phone.. I don't know what I got into.

Doing upgrades on an amenity that didn't need anything as the residents enjoyed it the way it was- losing money like crazy on properties and can't seem to stay afloat. Sad.

Advice to Management

I don't even know.. There's so many bad things, I wouldn't know where to start. You have your work cut out for you to make this company decent.. And you have no idea how to keep employees.

"Sinking Ship"

Current Employee - Property Manager
    Current Employee - Property Manager

I have been working at Bonaventure Realty Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The overall staff is great. They really care about the communities. Whether they work at a top tier or lower income property, regardless of the challenges that top-management self inflict, everyone does their best to take care of their residents.

Cons

When I was hired by Bonaventure Property Management, I was definitely sold a false reality. This place is truly dysfunctional. It is like the senior management team was selected by pulling names out of a hat? It is so broken and poorly operated, I can’t even come up with a clever enough analogy or metaphor to help the reader even come close to understanding this morass.

This company is a perfect example of an organization that is ran by disconnected and under-qualified leadership that truly lacks the ability to get its efforts coordinated enough to complete a financially successful task. You know a company doesn't have its financial priorities in-line when there isn’t enough credit available to buy paper for your printers, or enough money in the budget to fix a broken light in the parking lot to ensure your residents safety. However, there sure is enough cash available for the COO and team to travel around and party at lavish conferences. And as we watch in “awe” as they post pictures of their travels on Facebook and Twitter, we just give a #BonaSmile and take our pay cuts.

So, whether it’s the CEO sending unseemly IMs to female employees (yeah, an “lol” or “wink” emoji does not lessen your maladroit comments), or the COO who browbeats the teams with an out-of-context florid vocabulary and bad data, then short-circuits and goes into a continuous loop mumbling, “awesome, awesome, awesome,” it is clear the dysfunction and ineptness comes from the top down.

At the end of the day the Bonaventure ship has changed direction so many times, in such a short period of time, it has finally lost its direction and hit the rocks. For me, I am ready to ditch the bucket, I spend more time bailing the incoming water rather than taking care of my staff and residents that keep our lights on.

Advice to Management

You can’t help a company that lacks self-awareness.

4. "Manager"

I have been working at Bonaventure Realty Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company culture with highly dedicated employees

Cons

There is a great deal of change, but the company is headed in a very positive direction and some people find this challenging.

Advice to Management

Stay the course!

"Horrible Company to work for!"

Former Employee - Property Manager in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Property Manager in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Bonaventure Realty Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay was competitive and enjoyed working with staff

Cons

Horrible upper management and Attorney who fires everyone!

Advice to Management

Your never going to succeed and be competitive to other management companies only thinking of self! Great product but NEVER follow your CORE VALUES! I enjoyed working for you for over 5 years and your new team just let all of us GO! We supported you and you let us down! Never recommend Bonaventure to anyone!

"Make it happen...somewhere else"

Former Employee - Property Manager

I worked at Bonaventure Realty Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I made some good friends and industry contacts, a few really comfy sweatshirts, and the blue pens they give out at meetings are awesome.

Cons

Where to begin? No support. No direction. A shark tank of upper management and corporate employees with only their personal goals in mind. They will hand you the "data" but not listen to the reason. Lies, shady dealings, fluff, and patronizing comments are the norm. Oh but don't forget about the "30 second dance party" that will make you want to throw up. This company is a joke. Since leaving I have actually had to explain why employers should hire me DESPITE the fact that I worked for Bonaventure. That should tell you all you need to know.

Advice to Management

Why bother? You won't listen.

"LIVE THE CAREER YOU DESERVE AND IT'S NOT HERE!"

Former Employee - Property Manager in Tidewater, VA
    Former Employee - Property Manager in Tidewater, VA

I worked at Bonaventure Realty Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The turnover is high you will meet a lot of great people.

Cons

I worked for Bonaventure for over 5 years. I walked away with experience and many good friends. In my experience the company finds it’s employees replaceable, they are overhead. Therefore, payroll was always a difficult fight when wanting to pay someone what their skill set is worth. I watched many great people leave Bonaventure who moved on to win awards for reputable property management companies in the area. I was happy to watch their success. I dedicated 65+ hours a week doing my job and I did it well. I was promised many things without follow through on the companies part. Meeting your goals will be a disappointment in the end. Bonaventure will squeeze the life out of you and does not appreciate the sacrifices you will make. They could care less about your family life or your efforts to make your property great. This is not a company to further your career with hard work and dedication. If you looking for a company that terminates great people, restructures ever 2 years (because they terminate their CEO or COO), have no leadership, operates with dishonesty, cares less about your hard work and time dedicated, and will use you util you have had enough…. this is the place for you. This is not a company you want to work for if you are ethical, honest, smart, skilled, hard working or want a long term career. Trust me, I watched for just under 6 years and it made me sick so I left.

Advice to Management

Your core values should be something more than a sales pitch printed on a business card. The people you employ are not happy and can’t make it happen when you cut their throat weekly. Stop spending money on new business until you have your house in order. It’s no wonder everyone in the business is talking about you financial troubles. No good employees = No business = failure!

"Leasing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Bonaventure Realty Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay was decent until they decided to follow through with these pay cuts, that do not benefit us at all.

Cons

You don't have that job security that is mentioned in the "Bonaventure Promise." They are going through changes which benefits upper management but not anyone else low on the line.

Advice to Management

Get it together

"AWFUL UPPER MANAGEMENT! DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY!"

Former Employee - Property Manager

I worked at Bonaventure Realty Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only Pro with this company is the onsite staffs and that is it

Cons

The new COO is awful and does not care about anything but the data. Everyone has pretty much left or been fired since she stepped into this role in August 2016.

Advice to Management

Start practicing your core values and mission statement.

10. "Property Manager"

I worked at Bonaventure Realty Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The salaries offered are competitive and the benefits are great. The new properties being built are absolutely beautiful. There is a company picnic every year where employees get together to celebrate achievements for the year.

Cons

Support from the Regionals was limited at times as the company was growing so quickly. There were not enough employees to support this growth and teams were spread thin.