Bonaventure Senior Living Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 15, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kelley Hamilton

Pros
  • The residents are wonderful people (in 4 reviews)

• I felt like I got to make a difference everyday and unlike other places I worked it was noticed there (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The home office offered no real support, only demands in sales and revenue (in 15 reviews)

• They run through executive directors and this makes the residents feel like they do not have consistent staff (in 12 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Opportunities for Advancement"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Salem, OR
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Salem, OR

I have been working at Bonaventure Senior Living full-time

Pros

This is the smallest company I have worked for and they have provided me with opportunities for continuing my education and advancing my career. I take pride in working for our residents.

Cons

There will always be pros and cons working for any business. My heart is in senior living and providing the best care I can no matter what job I am doing. There are expectations that need to be met and sometimes we are expected to work long hours and on our days off, but is that really a con? We do what we need to do for our residents, bottom line. I am proud of what we do and I believe in our company. There will always be teaching opportunities for staff and a learning curve when someone is new to the industry. I have been in senior living for over 20 years (started as a dishwasher in high school and now I'm working in management). I have seen a few different communities in my lifetime and can honestly say that this is a place where I would want my mom to live. My advice to staff who are struggling and feeling discouraged...ask for help, be specific with your concern and ask how we can remedy that. How can we work together as a team? Complaining and talking bad about our company doesn't get us anywhere but having an action plan, specific tasks to improve on and suggestions will help us help you. That's what I do for myself and it works nearly every time.

Advice to Management

Follow through and proper training. We already have a great team; lets make it even better!

Feb 6, 2017 – Marketing Director

Thank you so much! We are so pleased to hear about your passion for seniors, and it is so important to us that you know that you are a respected and valued member of our team!

2. "Growing company with the right mindset"

Current Employee - Home Office Operations in Salem, OR
    Current Employee - Home Office Operations in Salem, OR

I have been working at Bonaventure Senior Living full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company with real good benefits and room for advancement. They are opening state the art facilities with great new ideas like duck pin bowling at the new Keizer location! Very cool

Cons

So far every experience I have had is positive.

Advice to Management

Stay positive and stick to the mission, vision and core values.

May 18, 2017 – Staff Development

Thanks for sharing! We are glad your experience has been so positive and we are looking forward to many more new exciting ways to grow holistically with our valuable employees in the near future.

"I love working for Bonaventure"

Current Employee - Regional Director in Salem, OR
    Current Employee - Regional Director in Salem, OR

I have been working at Bonaventure Senior Living full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been with Bonaventure Senior Living for over 5 years and it's been the best job I've ever had. I have the luxury of spending time with the executive officers of the company, and so I get to see first hand how they constantly strive to improve all aspects of operations, training, staff/resident retention and customer service. Mistakes are certainly made, but the integrity is always there, as they try to learn from them and move forward. Opportunities for career advancement and second chances are abundant for people that work hard and care about service to others. People are held accountable to high expectations and standards, but that's the only way a good, financially sound business can be run. It's truly a compassionate, intelligent group of people working hard to do the right thing and be fair and consistent throughout all their dealings. I'm happy to come to work, even on the worst days.

Cons

Turnover is high in this industry and Bonaventure is not immune. It's a hard job working in a community and it's not always easy to hire the right people. Because it's a business run by humans, mistakes are made, common sense is lost and people aren't always set up for success. And because it is still a business, revenue and budgets have to matter, even though sometimes it's difficult to balance that fact with the emotional components that arise when dealing with seniors and their families.

Advice to Management

Don't be disheartened by negative, one sided things that get posted online. There's a much larger majority of people who feel the way I do, who show up to work everyday with a smile and don't worry about what the internet says.

Apr 10, 2017 – Marketing Director

Thank you for your commitment to Bonaventure. We love hearing success stories of our staff - you're integral in improving the lives of our Seniors, and we are thankful for you. We strive every day to ... More

5. "Ups and downs"

Current Employee - Caregiver in Bothell, WA
    Current Employee - Caregiver in Bothell, WA

I have been working at Bonaventure Senior Living full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Residents, co-workers, CURRENT management, beautiful facility

Cons

High turnover, Caregiver class is confusing

Advice to Management

Keep on keepin on. Newest management in all departments is finally worth something.

Apr 5, 2017 – Marketing Director

Like you, we are so proud of the management team in our Bothell Community. But we're also proud of you, as our Caregivers serve our Residents in such personal and impactful ways. Please drop us a ... More

6. "Wonderful employer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salmon Creek, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salmon Creek, WA

I have been working at Bonaventure Senior Living part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to talk with the management, many outlets to find information that I need, supportive staff that I can count on to do their jobs and help out when needed, everyone does their best to leave pety disputes or outside problems outside of the workplace, clean and friendly.

Cons

Turn over of employees feels high, including management at times.

Advice to Management

Make sure you are recognizing your management team within every community, as well as encouraging each community with a Memory Care Unit to include them in Community Wide events.

Mar 30, 2017 – Marketing Director

Thank you for exemplifying Retirement Perfected. It is our hope that you continue receiving the information and support that you need - and feel free to reach out to us any time at HRHelp@LiveBSL.com ... More

7. "We are Ladies and Gentlemen Serving Ladies and Gentlemen"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at Bonaventure Senior Living full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Staff is wonderful, hardworking and have a love for our residents. Residents and their families make coming to work a rewarding experience. Bonaventure has high expectations, but that yields high results. Our community is beautiful and we are proud of the product we sell. Bonaventure has a wonderful training program which enables our staff to complete their required training within the Washington State Guidelines. Support from our Home Office Team is always readily available and utilized to the full extent.

Cons

Meeting the needs of residents, families and staff can be challenging but is absolutely doable.

Advice to Management

Keep working hard to achieve the desired goals.

Mar 30, 2017 – Marketing Director

Awesome feedback - thank you! We love hearing success stories, and it's important to us to retain people like you on our staff. We appreciate your hard work and thank you for sharing your thoughts. ... More

8. "Worst company to work for."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bothell, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bothell, WA

I have been working at Bonaventure Senior Living full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay was on the higher side compared to other facilites.

Cons

Managment turn over is crazy. When they get managment that is great, they become so overworked trying to get things done that NEED to be done, they quit. Currently the memory care director is amazing. Corporate thinks the employees are a dime a dozen. Does not matter who they are. The can alwaya be replaced. Comminication is not good at all. The new ED is actually promising but I doubt he will be here long. 4-6 EDs in 2 years? There is a problem. Bottom line is money and it shows. Those that give heart are so overworked.

Advice to Management

Notice the person. The longer someone has been there the more they love and care about the residents. Residents should be #1. You need more staff! One person is expected to do way to much. Your setting people up for failure.

Apr 5, 2017 – Marketing Director

Compassionate teamwork. Innovation. Dignity. Choice. Independence. These are some of the key components that drive Retirement Perfected at Bonaventure Senior Living. Please reach out to us if you ... More

9. "Assistant Activities Director"

Former Employee - Assistant Activities Director in Gresham, OR
    Former Employee - Assistant Activities Director in Gresham, OR

I worked at Bonaventure Senior Living part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was one of the most rewarding jobs I have ever had. The interaction with the residents was poignant and positive and most of the staff working there were amazing at their jobs and had a passion for serving others.

Cons

High turnover rate. Employees treated poorly by management. Unreasonable expectations from management, little to no training, chronic understaffing, lack of follow-through for basic requests from Management and overall disorganization.

Advice to Management

Find another industry to work in.

Apr 5, 2017 – Marketing Director

Daily, we strive to meet and even improve our standard of excellence for both our Residents and our staff. It's great to hear about the rewarding experiences and passion you had for our Seniors and ... More

10. "caregiver"

Former Employee - Caregiver in Castle Rock, CO
    Former Employee - Caregiver in Castle Rock, CO

I worked at Bonaventure Senior Living full-time (More than a year)

Pros

none the management is aweful

Cons

management is aweful changing all the time

Advice to Management

hire better managers

Mar 30, 2017 – Marketing Director

I appreciate your feedback and regret that you had an unsatisfactory perception of management. Integrity, passion and satisfaction are some of the many things that we value and strive for. I would ... More

"It's Not About Hard Work, It's About Playing Their Game..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salmon Creek, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salmon Creek, WA

I worked at Bonaventure Senior Living full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with residents and their families is extremely rewarding. You become part of these families as they trust and respect you.

Cons

Extremely high turnover, lots of management turnover in the buildings. The only way to get ahead is to play their game. You have to throw other people under the bus to keep your job. Upper management cares only about the sales process and move ins. They don't provide adequate training and pressure the building management team to sell, sell, sell. That mentality breeds lying marketing directors. You never know where you stand from one day to the next with upper management. They tout values, but no one lives by them in their career here.

Advice to Management

Start investing in your staff. Provide up to date and ongoing training for all positions. Recognize that happy and healthy residents and satisfied staff will get you much farther than pressure on sales.

Mar 24, 2017 – Marketing Director

You're right - we really do become part of our residents' families. We treasure the family environment we've cultivated with our residents and staff. I encourage you to reach out to us at ... More