Bonnier Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bonnier Corporation CEO Eric Zinczenko
Eric Zinczenko

Pros
  • Good work/life balance for the most part (in 7 reviews)

• A no-pressure work environment, for the most part (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely low pay, long hours with pathetic health care (in 13 reviews)

• Little to no career development (in 6 reviews)

"Flexible, hardworking, fun environment."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winter Park, FL

I have been working at Bonnier Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hard-working coworkers that inspire you to succeed. A very creative driven company that wants you to do well. A friendly environment, caring community. Opportunities to travel and explore the brands. Really flexible when it comes to work/life. I really love my job.

Cons

Schedule changes that create friction with current 'to-do' list, but that is expected in a publishing company.

Advice to Management

n/a

2. "Please, hire more people"

Current Employee - Content Team in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Content Team in New York, NY

I have been working at Bonnier Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-A few well-respected big-name publications, namely F&S, Pop Sci, and Saveur.

Cons

-There are none of us left. The company, desperate to cut costs and turn a profit, has eliminated most editorial jobs, putting a tremendous burden on the few of us who remain, as well as compromising the quality of the publications. Instead of investing in staff to create more, and better, content, the company has burned cash trying to create new revenue streams, most of which have produced very little. Executive team: please, invest in your staff, stop burning money, and cut loose more unprofitable, piss-poor mags like Pop Photo so the other mags actually have a chance to succeed in the new media landscape.

-The coffee machine is terrible and those pods are ruining the environment.

-The office is a distopian nightmare. But it's quiet so I guess there's that.

-We might as well have no health care.

-Please, hire more people. Fill those empty rows of unoccupied cubes. We're dying.

"Former sales employee"

Former Employee - Ad Sales Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Ad Sales Representative in New York, NY

I worked at Bonnier Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great hardworking people. Nice pubs and editorial.

Cons

Unclear company future. Lackluster middle management. Low pay. Little to no career development.

"Looking for job security? You won't find it here."

Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY

I worked at Bonnier Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work/life balance for the most part.

Cons

Sub-standard pay, high-deductible health care plan, 1 week paternity leave, unfulfilled promises from management, no office culture, depressing work environment, frequent layoffs and ongoing restructuring.

Advice to Management

Get to know your employees - they only time I met with them was when they were laying me off or fellow co-workers.

"Treat this company like the black plague"

I worked at Bonnier Corporation full-time

Pros

Pros... right now, i cant fathom to think of one.

Cons

Cons... They treat people like we are cogs in their machine. Our only purpose is to do the parent company's bidding. We aren't people, with lives family's and purpose. We are things that once they are done with us. Are expendable.

Advice to Management

STOP lying to the people that you hire or that you decide are valuable enough to keep on. They arent valued. They are tolerated as long as the market allows them to be. One shift in the media landscape wind and you are gone and forgotten. And for the love of god...stop talking about the retention of your workforce. Its demeaning to us that you have let go. While i understand that the magazine market is a tough one. Your dedication to the people that work(ed) for you is pathetically sub par and laughable at best. My advice to Management. Move to sweeden....since thats where your loyalties are. My advice to anyone looking for a job here. Run...forest...RUN!!!!!

"What. A. Joke."

Former Employee - Marketing in Winter Park, FL
    Former Employee - Marketing in Winter Park, FL

I worked at Bonnier Corporation full-time

Pros

Absolutely nothing comes to mind

Cons

I am absolutely SHOCKED that this company is still in business, and still manages to convince poor unsuspecting advertisers to pay for the pathetic content and promotional materials they push out. Their metrics are all manipulated crap, no one in charge of actually making content for advertisers knows nor cares how they actually perform. Employees are told to replicate old campaigns for the same advertisers and change the copy to make them relevant without any idea if the campaign was successful to begin with. They don't follow ANY best practices when it comes to advertising (specifically, digital) and there is absolutely no drive to create engaging content - just simply checking boxes off of a contract. Don't believe me? Subscribe to their emails to see how horrible and copy heavy they are. Go to the "contests" page on Islands.com...its BLANK! Any digitally savvy person on the face of the planet would take that page down if there was no content on it, and simply make it "live" when there was a contest going on...but not Bonnier!

ALSO If the brown-nosing employees they do retain see negative reviews on Glassdoor, they all team up to write overly positive reviews in response to try and refute the negativity. Don't be fooled...run away FAST. Unless of course you're looking to learn all of the wrong practices this company follows and drive your career as a digital marketer straight into the ground....

Advice to Management

Educate yourselves. Welcome change, or this ship is going to continue to sink.

"Don't board a sinking ship."

Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY

I worked at Bonnier Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

While this is highly dependent on which magazine you are working for, work/life balance is good.

Cons

The company is one big revolving door, whose sole concept for increasing revenue seems to be laying off employees. Bonnier is not interested in investing in their titles and helping them grow into new niches in the media market, merely seeing how they will fare as they slowly hack away at each magazine's ability to generate engagement from new audiences. The office culture is non-existent, staff from different magazines are cloistered and do not interact, making it a very lonely existance unless you work for their biggest title. Bonnier reneged on their promise to move their offices to a nicer location and the current office is an over-lit cubicle farm that is regularly prowled by a telepresence robot. At present there is no location to eat lunch or make a private phone call and is a very uncomfortable environment to work in. Would not recommend working here unless you're looking for temporary employment at a sub-standard salary.

Advice to Management

Invest in your magazines, it takes money to make money. Foster an actual workplace culture, this means doing more than encouraging employees to "compete" with each other via their Fitbits.

"Great place to work with a creative energy and exciting projects"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winter Park, FL

I have been working at Bonnier Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Diverse company filled with creative thinkers and interesting brands, opportunity to grow with the company, good benefits for employees, CEO focused on corporate culture and the success of the company as a whole

Cons

Sometimes there is a lack of communication between departments which can cause difficulty completing projects efficiently

Advice to Management

Continue to hire people excited about the brands.

"Horrible Leadership from top makes it difficult for employees to give their best work"

I worked at Bonnier Corporation full-time

Pros

If you can find a champion Director (or higher) to be your buddy and defend you, you might be okay

Cons

Hypocrisy runs wild, No leadership from the top ("do as I say, not as I do"), Cronyism is appalling, No chance for growth unless you're part of the inner circle,

Advice to Management

Take a look at top level executives and stop promoting the most inept of the group just to fatten their salaries and boast fancy titles. Nurture the newer, younger talent or you are going to continue to lose them to the competition.

"Leadership Vacuum"

Former Employee - Operations Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Operations Director in New York, NY

I worked at Bonnier Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Magazine titles with good reputations (Popular Science, etc.)
    Experienced, professional coworkers in New York office
    Privately held firm - no stock market pressure
    Potential for multimedia impact with resources of parent company in Sweden

Cons

Publishing industry in general is troubled and shrinking
    History of mismanagement and cronyism
    Limited, insular experience in Florida office
    Inconsistent strategic direction
    Reliance on short-term, low cost solutions to long-term problems
    Staff layoffs to manage bottom line
    Parent company in Sweden too hands off where it counts

Advice to Management

Find a forward-facing strategy to build the business and the trust of employees. So far, NO magazine publishers have found a robust response to the challenges of digital media. Due to reluctant investment in innovations, Bonner was further behind the curve. With new management team under Eric Zinczenko in place, there is now potential for change.