Bonnier Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Bonnier Corporation CEO Eric Zinczenko
Eric Zinczenko

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Extremely low pay, long hours with pathetic health care (in 16 reviews)

• The upper management doesn't understand what it takes to get the job done (in 11 reviews)

1. "Smart and Professional People!"

Former Employee - Editorial Assistant in Winter Park, FL
    Former Employee - Editorial Assistant in Winter Park, FL

I worked at Bonnier Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great environment with smart and talented employees.

Cons

Change in health care plan made it more expensive for employees.

"Dedicated Employees Stifled By Upper Management, Lack of Vision"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Bonnier Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

401K match (4%), working on Park Ave, $500 towards gym annually, free vision benefits, ability to work from home (for some roles), a couple great magazine titles to get your foot in the publishing door, friendly environment where coworkers want to help you, start off with 3 weeks vacation (but also max out at 3 weeks)

Cons

Health care benefits are hurting employees by having a high deductible and single option for insurance (yes insurance is going up, be different and eat the cost of switching away from deductibles! Entice people with superior benefits to set yourself apart and show you care about employees' hard work and health!) Below average raises annually (<2% generally.) No company culture to unify employees or get them excited about being at work. No bonuses unless you're in sales. Focus on sales awards instead of whole team that makes products sales sells. Few "extra" days off given (only 2 days given for Christmas.) Obvious some people are still employed because they've been there for so long but no longer perform up to current job requirements.

Advice to Management

Sticking to budget is key for all companies, but understand getting top-tier work from a B-level budget isn't possible quarter after quarter. Invest in your office, in your hires, in your future and not "where can we cut to make budget this year" by cutting magazines, people who are near retirement, or benefits. Be honest with the employees, it was a good start explaining budget and cash flow the past X years, but don't dive off the deep end into numbers only accountants understand (EBIT A, etc) and only focus on how to please Sweden. Your employees have stood by long enough waiting for tides to turn.

"Don't Trust Everything you Hear"

I have been working at Bonnier Corporation full-time

Pros

Willingness from senior management to get to know their employees and engage them for new ideas. Team building is a priority.

Cons

Turnover in shared services departments

Advice to Management

Keep your eyes and ears open and reward the people who are there to help the company prosper for years to come

4. ""Wake Up""

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Bonnier Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people that's about it.

Cons

Annually 2% raise, same excuse every year. 3 weeks max, as if adding an extra week will hurt the company. People end up leaving because they are just fed up with the same excuses. Health insurance sucks.

Advice to Management

Managers should fight for their employees. Invest in your employees do something different, sick days/ vacation days/ health insurance/bonuses and of course the one thing everyone is talking about start paying your employees what they deserve.

"challenging time for print"

I have been working at Bonnier Corporation full-time

Pros

Great co-workers, smart and creative.

Cons

These are tough times for print.

Advice to Management

Invest in the quality of the print brands.

6. "Great experience!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winter Park, FL

I have been working at Bonnier Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team of hard working professionals who enjoy what they do. Exciting brand portfolio driven by passionate enthusiasts.

Cons

Challenging transformation of media and advertising.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on enthusiast mission. Keep investing in video.

"Challenging and Creative Environment"

Current Employee - Editorial in Winter Park, FL
    Current Employee - Editorial in Winter Park, FL

I have been working at Bonnier Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

On the editorial side, you can be involved across all channels — print, web, social media, video; collaboration with other creative staff; opportunity to travel; respectful work environment

Cons

Quality of benefits is uneven (some, such as "Summer Friday" and work-from-home policy, are good; others, such as not contributing to HSAs, are not); staff is doing more with fewer resources; morale is low as the company continues to shutter titles and lay off staff

Advice to Management

Conduct more frequent town hall meetings; offer unexpected, morale-boosting benefits, such as unplanned days off, gift certificates to Publix at holidays like Thanksgiving; Christmas bonus of some sort; schedule edit, sales & marketing getaways to plan comprehensive programs designed to create valuable content for both our subscriber and marketing partner audiences

"The company doesn't value good talent. They will let people go to meet the bottom line. It's all about the bottom line."

Current Employee - Business Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Bonnier Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people who work there are fabulous and amazing but upper management doesn't value them. The titles are excellent but they keep cutting budgets and money and they're not making the investment in the titles to keep them going.

Cons

Employees not valued by upper management. Company is struggling to meet budget numbers. I will be surprised if the US arm of this company is still here in two years.

Advice to Management

People put their heart and souls into the job. Show a little respect for the people who work for your company. don't just throw them out in the cold

"Buyer Beward"

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Bonnier Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of really nice/google people at Bonnier. Too bad they work for such a crappy company.

Cons

Basically everything. Low pay, vacation caps at 3 weeks meanwhile employees that carry WAY more time. I have people that work for me, that have worked here for less time than I have but have 2 weeks more vacation time.

Advice to Management

Quit. C-Level execs dont care about anyone but themselves. Brands I sell for are so varied..... we have magazines that cater to republican/conservative demographics, meanwhile the EIC of Popular Science has a twitter feed dedicated to liberal ideology and bashing POTUS. (Makes it hard to do your job)

"Review #126"

I have been working at Bonnier Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bonnier has a very relax work environment but is still demanding. It is great that I am not micro manage but when I need help it is there for me.

Cons

I am truly disappointed that I work for a magazine/publishing company and there are no magazines in the bathrooms to read.

Advice to Management

More transparency and clear communication; I found out whats going on first through the rumor mill.