BookHolders Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.4
John Verde

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexible hours and friendly coworkers (in 11 reviews)

• Easy job if you need quick cash (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible pay (As a manager I was paid minimum wage) (in 14 reviews)

• Also, the pay was less than minimum wage for students (in 4 reviews)

1. "Wonderful College Job"

I have been working at BookHolders part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Part-time and scheduling made easy

Cons

Students don't want books anymore

2. "Honest Review of Bookholders"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in College Park, MD
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in College Park, MD

I worked at BookHolders part-time

Pros

*If you have another job and you want supplemental temporary income, you can work here.
    * Company will always stand.
    This is because they have cheap prices for books and the customers don't care why the books are so cheap. These same customers will complain that a book that was marked down 98.15% has missing pages, excessive writings, water damage, funky smells, unspecified gloop, oil, rust deposits, pages stuck together, wrong edition, highlighting, page discoloring, missing CDs, wrong book, big holes. pages falling apart or that they can't sell it back.
    *It's seems better than unemployment until you get fired because your phone was on vibrate or some other nonsense.
    * Job experience for college or high school STUDENTS to fill up their resume.
    * People will think you are big shot because you appear to have a job.

Cons

*If you need full time work, they will promise you the hope for a full time position but the position will never happen because excuses.
    * They hire people to train them for RUSH months (August, December, January-feb 13, May and June). The moment the rush is over, they will find any reason to cut you as it is easier to just hire someone else and give them a BS schedule since most of the locations are by a campus. The jobs are structured in a way that you are bound to have an imperfection at some point and that is evidenced in a write up and termination. This prevents a wrongful termination lawsuit...also nobody that works here can afford a lawsuit.
    * Terrible management that insists on tricking their employees.
    *Extremely unethical business situations: there are numerous shady immoral stuff that if i started writing, I would be writing for hours.
    *Skip this company as an employment destination if you have graduated or if you have any kind of recurring bills because the collection agency will be blowing up your phone.
    *Terrible exploitative corporate culture

Advice to Management

It's pointless advising management because they are not going to do anything. They like the way things work because it benefits them the most.

3. "The most unpleasant job I have ever had. Although the outside looks clean, the employee bathroom is ungodly."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at BookHolders part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The interview process is fairly easy so if you need a couple of dollars, this job is efficient. Also, they're somewhat flexible.

Cons

Like I stated before, it's so dirty & gross. The refrigerator , toaster oven & bathroom looks like it hasn't been cleaned since that bldg became Bookholders. The managers never pay on time or if they do, they mess up your wages so you have no choice to wait until all the money is available in your check to spend. If you want to save money & bring your lunch from home, I wouldn't advise that. The refrigerator is disgusting.

Advice to Management

Tear the whole thing down & rework. At this point, I don't know what else to say.

4. "It Sucks"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in University of South Florida, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in University of South Florida, FL

I have been working at BookHolders part-time

Pros

It's an easy job that doesn't require skill.

Cons

Federal Minimum Wage, Dirty Environment

Advice to Management

People will work harder if you pay them more

"Trust Issues & terrible pay"

Former Employee - Clerk/Data Entry in Towson, MD
    Former Employee - Clerk/Data Entry in Towson, MD

Pros

Easy job.
    Easy Hire.
    Nice customers
    Cozy workplace
    It was an easy job that didn't take any brain power really

Cons

Below minimum wage.
    Kept getting accused.
    Managers sucked.
    Worse managers ever. They would gossip about employees and wouldn't suck it up if they were wrong.

Advice to Management

Stop talking about drinking robotussin and treat your workers good. Pay a legal wage. Apologize after accusing your workers and seeing you were wrong after you spend time digging through time stamps and video. Don't always believe your twin and put him above other workers

6. "Review"

I worked at BookHolders part-time

Pros

Friendly employers and co-workers, flexibility

Cons

Not many opportunities for growth, short summer hours

7. "Worst Company I've ever worked at"

I worked at BookHolders part-time

Pros

Flexible hours and friendly coworkers

Cons

Witnessed five people quit in my three week tenure there. The corprate office was so disorganized that there wasn't even a manager, they ran everything offsite directly to the employees. Job was mostly warehouse work and if the AC went out in Florida then you just had to work in 105 degree heat. The warehouse was not finished like the storefront with crude lights and wires hanging. Also, the pay was less than minimum wage for students.

Advice to Management

Value your employees and they will value your company. There is a reason every single person who was willing to work hard was driven from that company. Greed and incompetence are a dangerous combination.

8. "Needs communication improvements..."

Former Employee - Clerk in Blacksburg, VA
    Former Employee - Clerk in Blacksburg, VA

I worked at BookHolders part-time

Pros

Very flexible with your schedule, very simple job

Cons

I had the job for about a week, and when I looked at the next week's work schedule, I wasn't scheduled to work. I tried emailing management, and my email was ignored. Mind you, all of the employees were students, and there were a lot of them trying to get hours at the place, but the least I could be told was that there was no time for me to work. I was basically let go without being told, and had to email the manager later to ask how to get my 1 paycheck.

Advice to Management

Management needs to communicate better.

9. "Criminally underpaid"

Former Employee - Store Clerk in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Store Clerk in Tampa, FL

I worked at BookHolders part-time (More than a year)

Pros

very high turnover rate so if you need a job ASAP you can usually get it pretty easily if it is at the start/end of a semester.

Cons

The pay is BELOW MINIMUM WAGE due to a tax loophole of hiring full-time students. Management is comprised of people who are the same age as the 20-somethings who work there so they have no experience being effective managers and it shows. They watch you on store cameras to make sure they're not paying you (under minimum wage) for 30 seconds of talking to a co-worker.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees a decent wage (or even just minimum wage) and stop trying to suck every penny of labor you can get out of them--it creates a really terrible atmosphere to work in.

10. "Decent for college freshmen and sophomores MAYBE"

Former Employee - Keyholder in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Keyholder in Austin, TX

I worked at BookHolders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Favorable store hours during the semester. Plenty of hours available at the beginning and end of semesters. USUALLY work well with course schedule if you are a student

Cons

Underpaid for time spent and work done in store. Slow to follow through on pay raises when promised. Can be very repetitive and mundane

Advice to Management

Recognize and reward those who bend over backwards for you. Be more proactive and not reactive. Listen! Be flexible and understanding