Booking.com Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Booking.com President & CEO Gillian Tans
Gillian Tans

Pros
  • Active, high energy and collaborative open work environment (in 76 reviews)

• work/life balance: if you're often in the office after 6pm, your manager will ask you, if everything is ok (in 31 reviews)

Cons

"Only thing they care are metrics"

Former Employee - Quality Leader in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Quality Leader in Orlando, FL

I worked at Booking.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Their diversity they claim to respect... they celebrate holidays with food.
    The party In Amsterdam the party they tell you you will go but then they tell you you won't qualify I was here for 4 years and only went 1 time

Cons

They stress you out about metrics you cannot control like their CSAT customer satisfaction you have to get 90% or die the system does not works right if the guest thinks for some reasons that they are writing a review for the hotel and they leave a bad one that number goes to you even when the comment says I hated the hotel the point from the csat goes against you... if the guest leaves a bad score by mistake but in the comments they praise your customer service and is an obvious mistake still goes to your score if you are below 90% you get in trouble. I stoped working in booking and was suppose to get my check the following Friday and due to some internal issues got my check one month and half late... they are so de organize that I still have access to my booking email

Advice to Management

Be fair to your staff and if you do something for one do it for all there is a lot of preference and favoritism in the company. I never got my exit interview because the hr looks for who is going to say good things and they get it.... not only waiting for my check but for that exit interview

"better off working for other online travel agencies"

Current Employee - Business Development in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Business Development in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Booking.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fitness reimbursement, commuter benefit, HRA/HSA health insurance.
    Annual HQ conference in Amsterdam after 1 year of service, contingent on manager's approval.

Cons

• High degree of favoritism within a team, excessive office politics between teams, and HR has zero confidentiality
    • Management lacks transparency & constantly changes direction while hiding behind the pretense "Booking loves A/B testing: fail fast, fail often"
    • Pay is below market rate and other benefits (e.g. travel credit) are heavily taxed
    • Management sets ambiguous KPI and cannot commit nor provide the metrics used for performance review (how can employees meet/exceed expectation without knowing the benchmarks)
    • Bonus is "discretionary" - meaning management will find excuses to prevent full payout even if employees exceed target
    • Work flexibility (start/end time, ability to work from home, duration of breaks) depends on personal relationship with the manager, not business needs
    • Employees are often on PIP with little time to demonstrate improvement before they are terminated

Advice to Management

The alarming employee attrition rate (average length of employment is 12-18 months) signifies poor management in North America

"Team Lead"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fife, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fife, WA

I worked at Booking.com (Less than a year)

Pros

Good diversity, ok compensation, great medical/dental

Cons

Horrible leadership, horrible executive leadership. Mr. Kohlrus destroys teams

Advice to Management

Value the front line and team leaders

"Lack of Opportunity to move Forward, stay still for a moment job but keep looking!!!"

Current Employee - Accommodation Service Executive in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Accommodation Service Executive in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Booking.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Schedule, PTO, the trip to Amsterdam, the booking care project, and the gift

Cons

Favoritism, if you don't have professional aspirations, is the great place to be, lack of management pretty much the only way to move is if you know someone who is friend of someone. i'm just talking about the CS site but i can imagine that is probably like that at the HD offices as well. Team leads generally don't know anything. you can just count with your hands the ones that really care about you and your professional career. Operations Managers (uff thats another story) i do not know the criteria that they use to choose them but ... ( i better leave it to the imagination)

Advice to Management

Please do not try to cover up everything with gift, be more genuine with your employees, give the opportunity of professional development of your subordinates, and please check your team leads, and check if they really have background before promoting or hiring from outside. is so sad that the turn over is so high just because lack of professionalism, favoritism, and lack of management.

"Accommodation Service Executive"

Former Employee - Accommodation Service Executive in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Accommodation Service Executive in Orlando, FL

Pros

Bonuses every quarter on average $400 after taxes.

Cons

Terrible company. You are expected to take call after call and listen to complaints all day and have no tools to resolve the issues. It makes you feel terrible knowing that the caller needs help right away and you can't help them at all. You have your lunch and two breaks and if you need to use the restroom any other time too bad. Don't work here, the yearly trip to Amsterdam is not worth especially because you are there working. It's not a vacation as they make it sound.

Advice to Management

Micromanagement does't work!

"Needs to stop throwing free goodies at employees and just listen to them instead. (Used to be a great place to work.)"

Former Employee - Bi-lingual Customer Service Executive in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Bi-lingual Customer Service Executive in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Booking.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bonus every quarter (if you meet requirements which has changed a lot), free coffee, tea and fruit, good health, dental, and vision insurance.

Cons

Salary is not competitive and is actually less than most call centers. The company has grown a lot the past year and management has not handled it well. People that have been working there for years have been screwed over for promotions as they keep bringing in (under-qualified) people from outside of the company. You really have no voice there if you are just an agent (or anything else really.) Their demands have changed a lot and they often talk about how our voice matters and la-di-da but it's really all talk.
    It used to be a great place to work and you really felt a sense of belonging. But now, it is a struggle just to get through the day - especially when your supervisor came from outside the company and knows nothing about the work you do (that they are supposed to be supervising.)
    Keep in mind that I worked at the Grand Rapids, MI office. I watched the company change a lot over the last few years and the Grand Rapids office is definitely seen as the ugly cousin of all of the other offices now.
    Procedures are not the same in all offices worldwide so you are often left cleaning up other peoples laziness.
    It is quite sad because the company used to be so great and still has so much potential but the leaders are just playing a guessing game at what works best - there is no actual thought process.
    So many people have been forced out the past year - it is insane.
    You cannot go one work week without hearing another person got let go. It's really quite sad.
     My opinion - they need to stop giving out all of the free stuff to their employees and just listen to them, it would probably be a cheaper option than to bribe them with all of these "gifts and goodies."

"Horrible"

Former Employee - Customer Service Executive in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Executive in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Booking.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Fitness Center which I never used. I guess trips if you get to go and Overtime pay if needed.

Cons

All Bad they are not transparent about being a Manpower employees in the initial application then they lie and say you will get hired in then one day just fire you through manpower ( End Your Assignment) .
    Don't believe them anything they tell you. Favoritism runs high and unprofessional office relationships

Advice to Management

Hire Direct and Respect Employees

"CSE - Bellevue. Do not do this job with this company."

Former Employee - CSE in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - CSE in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Booking.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

training, the trainers, the recruiters and the other CSEs. Training was truly the greatest part of this whole journey. I joined in March 2015 and in retrospect, the only redeeming part of this whole job was my trainer. She got pulled away to help a later class and was pulling crazy hours but still put all of her effort into making sure we had a good experience. That trainer and I have both since left the company but I will always be grateful for her enthusiasm and true love for what she was doing. If I find another training and trainer like that, I consider myself very lucky.

Outside of that, the other pros were health insurance options and coverage. The recruiting team is also a class act.

Cons

Horrible management, sycophant team leads and a favoritism system. Leadership drives out good people if they find them threatening. There are so many people in this center simply going through the motions. It's so obvious that no one here really cares anymore. The number of people leaving is extremely high. No one wants to stay because they are not motivated to stay. The spirit team does little to actually instill spirit and none of the "motivating" events are actually motivating.

People are fake. Team leads kiss butt all day, every day. Most are never at their desk and if they are, they are "too busy" to help you.

Honestly, if you can avoid working here, avoid it. If this is only option: pay attention in training and be on time to the second.

Advice to Management

Don't be threatened by people who are good at their jobs. Don't promote people because they are good brown nosers.

Just because you have certain people in a position does not mean they should stay in that position. Or that they should have been placed in that position in the first place.

"Good to see the horrible reviews still exist!"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Booking.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nothing. There is nothing "pro" about this company.

Cons

More than a year later and still my former position is still open. Justified that losers still don't have a clue on what a good employee is. A good employee isn't there to kiss butt and gossip. A good employee is there to do their job. Now with a better PAYING job with a healthier atmosphere, I'm not sure how I survived for more than a year working at an insane asylum with managers still coming out of diapers, office managers telling lies from another office in another city (jealous much) and mindless weekly calls about nothing but how to do a job, instead of taking that hour and doing the job.

Oh lest not forget how they set you up with these personality test so they can accuse you of things they claim you are due to a fake test. Anyone who really knows the laws of human resources should know that every person has a right to deny such testing without fear or reprisal. I'm not sure how this company is still surviving with such low ethics. I mean below six feet under. How sad is that?

Anyone who has been fortunate enough to get out of this place, now knows the true experience of a professional work environment with employers who know the laws of human resources. I feel sorry for anyone who accepts employment thinking they found a great job with super awesome people. It's definitely a cult environment with people trying to escape as soon as they get the chance. You are lucky if they do the escaping for you by letting you go. However, I will never forget the terrible and abusive experience I had there.

Advice to Management

LOL Advice? You can't give losers advice.

"Don't even do it!"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Seattle, WA

Pros

I enjoy working for a company that works in the travel/hospitality sector. The PTO is pretty great on US standards (23 days), although any sick leave is taken out of those days as well. The occasional travel to headquarters in Amsterdam can also be nice. The insurance and 401k are ok as well. If you land a role in an upper management position then this could be a good company.

Cons

The pay HORRIBLY and they have very little focus or attention given to retaining talent. There are also very few career growth opportunities, except in the HQ in Amsterdam, but unfortunately Europeans are favored for those roles because they do not require relocation or visas. Americans are especially less likely to get hired for roles in Amsterdam because, even though they pay horribly here, they pay even less there and Americans require higher salaries than locals in Amsterdam. All employees are sent to Amsterdam for the all-company meeting in the winter and they tote this as a perk, but don't kid yourself - flying across the world for a 2 day event and having to fly directly back (and having to spend the majority of those two days in a conference center in windowless rooms (granted with a party at the end) is no perk at all!). Morale is also incredibly low, especially in the office that I work in, but this doesn't seem to be an issue for management, as nothing is done to improve the workplace, despite having received feedback from employees on what could be improved.

Advice to Management

Start taking care of your employees more and your attrition rate would go down and morale would go up.

Showing 162 of 1,156 reviews