Booking.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Booking.com President & CEO Gillian Tans
Gillian Tans

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • as you long as you go outside to smoke with the team leaders you have high chances to get a promotion (in 68 reviews)

• We could look more into work life balance (in 28 reviews)

"Operations Coordinator of Global Accounts"

Former Employee - Operations Coordinator of Global Accounts
    Former Employee - Operations Coordinator of Global Accounts

I worked at Booking.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I will say this, I build friendships that will be in my life forever. That is the best pro I have for working at this place for 8 months total. You get company monthly happy hours and catered food as well as food in the fridge. Benefits are decent. This team is different than all the other teams at Booking, do your research, or ask the right questions during your interview process or you will be upset to what you walked into.

Cons

This Team's Management is a disaster, disgusting and beyond words I can describe. You have to want to work with managers who do not support you and you are left alone to figure it out, your own managers will not know the answers for the simplest things. Do not expect empathy from managers because you will not receive it, these managers are friends outside of work and will talk behind your back, you can not trust them. I have worked for fortune 500 companies and was never treated the way I was here. You are overworked, underpaid and not appreciated by your own team managers. Also if you want to grow within the department, don't even think about it because you will have to go into the sales department to move up.

"GFO"

Current Employee - GFO in Amsterdam, NY
    Current Employee - GFO in Amsterdam, NY

I have been working at Booking.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice Colleagues and nice office environment

Cons

Prepare yourself for politic games,

"A company which is growing and straggling and make you maturing and straggling"

Pros

If you are curious about data, it is the right place to go. No matter what roles you are, you have the access to the massive amount of data and you can learn and use it in your own area, in discussion etc. Basically anything in the company scoepe, bring you data, show your points.

You have the flexibility to change teams under some conditions.

Plenty social activitities are oranganized by the company.

Fair salary, good relocation package. In the center of Amsterdam

Cons

Your job is to finish small tasks fast, optimizating for exiting product, conversation is center of almost everything you do, not every thing, but almost.

Promotion is evaluated mostly by your visibility for various roles, you need to fight your place, shout out loud, make the right friends. Of course you need be good at your job to certain extend. But remember you need to be positive and fight for your own promotion or sometimes you are lucky, some people would like to do it for you.

"I challenge you" the most mentioned word in the company. No matter you have a complain, suggestion, idea, this is most common response you hear. It is not wrong to challenge, it is good for things that is part your job. But for everything, hum, it has became an easy way to push responsibility to others, especially for managers to give away blames. For those task which is far away from your responsibility, be prepared and strong, directly ask back "why don't you take challenge? It is your job"

Push anything from button to top is difficlt. At the same time, don't expect too much from management, you want something, do it yourself, push yourself, it is your own responsibility, again, don't have to high expectations of the results.

4. "review"

I worked at Booking.com full-time

Pros

good benefits medical dental vision 401k

Cons

not any I would like to share

"Promises, promises, promises"

I worked at Booking.com full-time

Pros

Great diversity and very smart people

Cons

The recruiters were not very honest with their job description. They made promises they couldn't keep to get a yes. Riding people with metrics is bad enough, having ill-trained team leads using those metrics to harass people not cool.

Advice to Management

Think about your turnover and ask yourself why that is? How much money will be wasted before management realizes that keeping people and having them happy to work is much less costly than constantly training new people and angering customers with inexperienced agents?

"HR Liability, Mess of a Company, and Immoral Management"

Current Employee - Coordinator in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Booking.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- trip to Amsterdam fully covered, but you need to work at Booking.com for a year
    - working for a big company; prestige

Cons

- low pay. not competitive with market.
    - HR has no idea what they're doing. they constantly make mistakes, which is annoying to correct and look over my pay stub.
    - management is horrible. The SF office gossips and leadership allows it. I have seen 6 people leave Booking.com through my employment. Not surprised, since the work environment is unhealthy. I have heard Account Managers in the office talk about their clients/ partners openly in a negative way. Have heard AMs gossip about other coworkers as well.
    -management is childish.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employer feedback. If leadership feedback from your team is 33% overall, there's something going WRONG. Everyone is leaving. You just don't know it yet.

"Diversity stops on the coworkers."

Current Employee - CSE in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - CSE in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Booking.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People you work with come from diverse background and cultures with very friendly nature. Descent basic benefits. Good work experience if you are looking for a career in CS.

Cons

Lack of opportunities if you want to grow with the company. Too frequent changes in processes and end goals may confuse workers as they constantly have to readjust. Lack of transparency when internal promotion happens. This office promotes how the managwments value their employees and boasts of great work environment but does little to improve real fundamental issues at hand which is just not enough diverse opportunities to advance and grow.

Advice to Management

Read all the negative reviews by current and formal employees and reevaluate on your current employee retention programs if any.

"Good Benefits, crappy management"

Current Employee - Customer Service Executive
    Current Employee - Customer Service Executive

I have been working at Booking.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are great. And while the pay could be better, it is still good.

Cons

Lack of direction with management.

"BookingSuite is a dying division"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Booking.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

(Seattle BSuite) has a nice office, good snacks, free lunches on Mondays. Free trip to Amsterdam once a year

Cons

- no room for growth, all lateral moves (if you join BookingSuite don't count on actually growing and developing your career)
    - pretty low pay
    - diminishing benefits
    - leadership that's never there, and when they are have very little knowledge of the day to day of the employees
    - product that's not being updated to fit the needs of current employees
    - scale scale scale

Advice to Management

re-evaluate the pay for the current employees and ensure that they are being paid fairly compared to their colleagues. There's not much that can be done about advancement.

"The only benefit is the pay"

Former Employee - Accommodation Service Executive in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Accommodation Service Executive in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Booking.com (Less than a year)

Pros

Bonuses were very helpful (usually between 8 - 16%) but you'll have to get on your team lead's nice side.

The pay is good but in the location (Bellevue, WA), others offer much higher.

Spirit days and Fab Fridays were fun but they never offered a variety of food and it can be boring, too. Nothing more special than other companies.

Other offices, especially non-customer/accommodation service really like their jobs... they get more benefits and aren't treated like children who need to be constantly watched.

The CEO and other executives higher up on the ladder are really nice!

Amsterdam trip for almost 25% of the company based on tenure!

Cons

You can't be yourself - be who your manager wants you to be. You have to really suck up to the higher ups or you won't go anywhere.

They hire managers/team leads with no experience - assuming because they're very mold-able and don't have a preconceived idea of how to actually treat/manage others.

They categorize the workers to focus on some and not the others - if you weren't "chosen" by the almighty ones, you'll probably stay in your position for a good while.

Work hard constantly but still no reward (other than bonuses but my bonuses were rarely based on my performance.) They expect you to answer 8 calls in an hour with only 25 seconds between each. If you can do it but don't suck up or fall into their mold, you get a pat on the back or maybe some chocolate and a balloon... other than this "reward" your work goes unnoticed.

I was a strong team player and had very good statistics but was constantly told that I wasn't meeting the standard of the TEAM rather than the standard of the goals set by corporate.

Managers don't resolve issues, they sweep it under the rug (GO STRAIGHT TO HR WITH ISSUES). Sometimes, HR isnt' helpful though either - they will erase any proof you have of any claim (for example, the HR site may say they offer a benefit but if you ask, they'll take it down and act as if it never existed).

Their Values are unclear and leaves management unsure of how to lead. The values don't seem to be important and is definitely doesn't align with the atmosphere of the work place.

SOME TEAM LEADS YELL AT YOU IF YOU GET OUT OF YOUR SEAT. It seems they lack respect and an understanding that we are actual adults with actual working brains.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your hard workers - appreciate how hard they work more than the results because they'll continue to work harder rather than working smarter (;

Don't categorize us - treat us like humans!

Help us, not just yourselves.

Do everything better.