Booking.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Booking.com President & CEO Gillian Tans
Gillian Tans

1,169 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • work/life balance: if you're often in the office after 6pm, your manager will ask you, if everything is ok (in 33 reviews)

• Active, high energy and collaborative open work environment (in 79 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be improved altough actions are in place (in 25 reviews)

• the team leaders treat you like a robot (in 57 reviews)

1. "Not a job that you'd want to be working more than a year"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Berlin (Germany)
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Berlin (Germany)

I worked at Booking.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

international working environment. Interesting colleagues from all over the world.

Cons

A lot of stress from team leaders and managements when it comes to hitting targets.

"Toxic environment"

Former Employee - Customer Service Team Lead in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Team Lead in London, England (UK)

I worked at Booking.com full-time

Pros

Trips to Amsterdam for courses
    Free lunches
    Good atmosphere at lower levels

Good values set out but company
    Company as a whole is good to work for

Cons

Senior leadership/ management
    Team Leader disengagement
    Lack of Autonomy
    Development opportunities limited

This company is a great company to work for. This site LDN, is not. We have a toxic work environment with promotions being hand picked by senior management. Senior management convey these promotions as hard workers but instead are strong candidates for towing the line. Whilst towing the line and not upsetting apple cart can be seen as positive, stronger candidates are missing out, not because they don't toe the line but because any challenge they put forward is seen as a threat. There are candidates here for promotion who are not ready, do Senior management tell them that directly? No, they just avoid giving feedback, in order to avoid the attrition rate for tls increasing, as it would hinder the growth of the operation and mean the customer service execs don't have tls -> increasing the attrition rate as a whole. Basically, if they lose tls, the site cannot grow as they wont have anyone to manage the agents. That in itself creates a disengagement because senior management limit candidates (good or bad) growth because managing expectations is not done properly. This makes a toxic work environment. Couple this in with TL gossip and the environment is a tough place to succeed. Senior leadership continue to monitor reviews on review platforms around the company and remove any they can, labelling them as "too personal". Any challenging of senior leadership will see any chances of promotion parked to one side. Even some senior managers refuse to challenge site strategy.

It's a shame as there is talent in the London site but it cannot be fulfilled due the senior leadership not assisting with growth. Some senior management members have been investigated for racism too. TLs for sexual encounters with agents. It's a mess.

Do results get achieved, yes. Are they done in the right way? No. Either get on the boat, tow the line of senior management or don't bother and move to a different job. We even had HR employees with no management experienced earmarked for senior management roles because they towed the line of the decision maker. That should tell you all you need to know about progression.

We set out a value of knowing our people here. How well do the senior managers really know their people? How can they help grow their people without knowing them? Don't forget that engagement encompasses all levels.

We've seen numerous tls leave and now we are seeing lower level candidates invited to work as managers, this includes some interns applicants that are nowhere near ready for the role.

I'm grateful that this place has opened my eyes to seeing the true reality, great company to work for, bad site to work in. I didn't want to leave on bad terms at all, and I didn't, but this should paint a true reflection for anyone thinking to move into a role on this site.

Advice to Management

Involve the TL team more, create more autonomy to help the TL team grow.
    Change the dictatorship ethos
    Follow the values that are set
    Challenge the Site Lead effectively

3. "Great"

I have been working at Booking.com full-time

Pros

Great job love working here

Cons

none whatsoever
    it has been great

"Disappointed"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Amsterdam (Netherlands)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

I worked at Booking.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good relocation support, good hardware and stuff to work with

Cons

Company doesn't care employees, performance measurement is not fair and probation period is used as part of interviews.

Advice to Management

I think a company like Booking.com should give more time to see talent's contribution and also focus on gain rather than judge with in a unfair way.

5. "Recruiter"

Current Employee - Recruiter
    Current Employee - Recruiter

I have been working at Booking.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing culture, open, friendly co-workers and managers/leaders that truly listen and care - take action on feedback. Love coming to work - fun industry and fantastic benefits.

Cons

We are growing FAST - lots of changes but really that is a pro for most but to be successful and have true job satisfaction - you'll want to be prepared for bringing your A game.

Advice to Management

Stay open, transparent and encouraging - this is a huge plus/advantage over many companies and a true competitive advantage.

6. "Worked as Account Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Mumbai (India)
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Mumbai (India)

I worked at Booking.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work with, cultutal diversity, fast paced, rapidly growing.

Cons

No problem area, good employer.

Advice to Management

No issues

"Barcelona Office is a nightmare"

Former Employee - Content Editor in Barcelona (Spain)
    Former Employee - Content Editor in Barcelona (Spain)

I worked at Booking.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I made life-long friends, nice parties, you can learn a lot if you want to.

Cons

When I joined it all started well, even if I knew it wasn't the job of my life. My team really valued my talent and I felt inspired to work very hard. I had recognition for it, went onto trainings, etc..

Then after a year or so, they wanted more. Management in my team changed and it all went downhill. It all started being a game of micro-managing, constant and demotivating performance reviews, lack of support and favoritism.

You are never doing your job well, they always want to suck more blood out of you. The TL was manipulative and bullied me and other team members. I saw very talented people come and go because they couldn't handle her and her mind games.

I even reported one very offensive thing she told me at a performance review and HR did nothing. The compliance dept did nothing.

Also the Country Managers and such couldn't care less about us, de had to justify our work all the time. Heck, we had to justify everything, even if we spent time in the toilet.

Targets became ridiculous, bonuses reduced to none, they started to turn us into commercials and account managers instead of editors, they even automised text generation. I was always asked to come up with ideas and projects, to be then stolen by Amsterdam and not giving any credit.

This is the story in a nutshell, but myself and other people had a severe burnout crisis.

Advice to Management

Fruit, a foosball table and yearly parties don't make up for the rest. Stop brainwashing employees selling these perks are unique...everybody offers them now. Stop conditioning people like Pavlov's dog and start paying attention to the low satisfaction scores of local offices in the yearly employee engagement survey. Please start practising what you preach and value hard-working employees who are willing to go the extra mile. Also, do something about the poor and abusive management in Barcelona. It's shocking.

8. "Customer Service Executive"

I worked at Booking.com full-time

Pros

- free fresh meal every day
    - happy and positive enviroment
    - motivated staff and team leaders
    - good career opportunities

Cons

- unflexible breaks
    - weekend work (just 2 weekend days a month, depends on the shift)

Advice to Management

no advises. I was completely satisfied during my time at booking.yeah :)

9. "Great work environment!"

Former Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Amsterdam (Netherlands)
    Former Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

I worked at Booking.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work environment, great benefits. Treated the employees extremely well with incentives and quarterly parties.

Cons

The start up mentality.. sometimes processes were not set in stone. Other than that it was great

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work/life balance

10. "nice colleagues but average job"

Current Employee - Customer Service Executive in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Executive in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Booking.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- nice colleagues, friendly and international working environement
    - great flexibility in regards to working hours / shift pattern
    - company parties and after work activities
    - free lunch

Cons

- low pay
    - constantly monitored
    - management not really competent
    - poor promotion prospects: people are kept in their roles for a long time by giving them the feeling that the company cares about personal development but the truth is that they somehow prefers to recruit external managers with less experience than promote skilled internal employees

Advice to Management

- support the employees which are talented and looking to grow within the company
    - adapt the salary to the location

Showing 1,169 of 1,215 reviews