Booking.com "team leaders" Reviews | Glassdoor

Booking.com Employee Reviews about "team leaders"

Updated Nov 14, 2019

3.4
Booking.com CEO Glenn Fogel
Glenn Fogel
Pros
Cons
  • "Some Team leaders treat their agents differently(in 125 reviews)

• "Progression for next step would be in Amsterdam(in 98 reviews)

Reviews about "team leaders"

Return to all Reviews

"Impressions After About Four Months"

Current Employee - Customer Service Partner Specialist in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Booking.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

-competitive pay and bonuses. -health, dental, vision insurance.

Cons

-Information is constantly changing to the point expectations can be unclear. -Lack of communication on important HR-related procedures. -Favoritism among Team Leaders. -Micromanagement.

Booking.com2019-05-21

"Improvement needed"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Booking.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The customers make the day go by fast.

Cons

Some of the team leads take their job way too serious. On the day shift she would like to be more of a parent than a team leader. She doesn’t know how to speak to her to team members or coach them no one likes her. I would not recommend Booking.com especially with the team lead I have.

Advice to Management

Train some of the team leaders not to be so harsh to their team and I’m sure it would lead to better performance.

Booking.com2019-02-12
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

"Customer Service Guest Specialist"

Current Employee - Customer Service Guest Specialist in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Booking.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-PTO is very good about 144 hours a year -Medical Insurance is good- Aetna offers three programs- the third one is free, you just contribute money to you HSA account, they also contribute $500 a year for single $1000 a year for family -Paid Holidays- You get time and a half plus 8 hours of PTO or you get double time pay. You also get paid 8 hours if you don't work -Pay is somewhat reasonable- not a living wage... in Orlando

Cons

What began as one of the best jobs I've ever has turned into a complete nightmare. The company initially reaped of benefits and managerial staff had empathy for it's employees, we had end of the month catering- noted as Fab Fridays, for the holiday's they would provide food, we had an annual, all expenses paid trip to Amsterdam to learn about the culture, and meet global colleagues. Flash Forward 3 years later, our... Fab Fridays are non existent, for holidays they request that we, the employees contribute the food now, they've eliminated the Amsterdam trip and have created a local "Roadshow". The employee experience has gone from 5 star drastically down to a 1 star rating. Something that has shocked a lot of employees because the company is growing exponentially and making tons of money, yet the employees benefits have been slowly taken away. Another negative of this company is that as it is currently growing, trying to become a monster hospitality website, it lacks in consistency with its guidelines, procedures and even its security guidelines . As a Customer Service Guest Specialist, rules, procedures, and important security guidelines change constantly with just an email telling us to review the material and compelling us to learn it ourselves- sometimes our team leaders just tell us about the change but they themselves aren't given enough time to even study the guidelines and therefore provide effective counsel on such changes. The quality team than reprimands you, which in return results in threats by your team lead with Performance Improvement Plans because you didn't adhere to such guidelines. Before there would be training sessions for such drastic changes and they would be discussed in workshops- these workshops are also non-existent. The structure for reprimanding employees is inconsistent as higher management doesn't have a proper checks and balances system to ensure that their team leads are treating employees fairly. An example: Someone that i knew was late every single day for two months and only got a write up, he was favored by his team lead, yet an agent the other day had 3 late occurrences and got the same level write up. The policies are biased and unfair. The environment at this office has always been encompassed with favoritism, what you read in other posts in regards to favoritism is all true. Team leader's have favorites on their team and therefore sometimes sanction some differently than they do others and keep in mind that this can also affect you from growing in this company- again no consistency. The Human resources department is also a joke. They protect the team leads instead of actually listening and INVESTIGATING the concerns brought to their attention by subordinates. There is nothing kept anonymous as Team Leads and HR representatives have close bonds. The code of conduct states that Retaliation is forbidden, but the same employees who reach out to HR in confidence that their concerns will be heard, addressed and rectified eventually end up at the bottom of the food chain and well, let go or fired for "other reasons". Strict scrutiny, i have come to notice, is placed on these employees. Human Resources does nothing about it! For solutions we have to perhaps reach out to Amsterdam to get a positive result but I personally am not certain how effective they do their jobs.

Advice to Management

Upper management need to stop favoring individuals and be impartial- The same advice is suggested to Team leaders. Start being fair to everyone and perhaps by eliminating the formation of 'Cliques" you can turn a hostile work environment to a more positive environment. Amsterdam should honestly put close observation on the way this property is handling employee concerns and issues!

Booking.com2018-12-25

"It's was awesome but its losing it awesomeness"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Booking.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits and Pay will keep you there. 20 PTO days off with options of getting more by working holiday's. Health insurance is great. It's fairly easy. OT during the summer.

Cons

You have little control in the term of customer service most of the control is held by the hotels. Which when your judge on customer satisfaction can be frustrating. They have been moving away from a EU employee centered office model to more American office style taking away Benefits. They have taken 2 away just this year (2018). Hire out more than promote within for team leader management positions. Some of the... hours can be not the best. High turnover. You have to correct problems with reservations by outsourced agents from 3rd party companies they hire in the US and aboard. We now have more outsourced 3rd party agent offices than actual Booking.com agent offices.

Advice to Management

What made this company great was a Amsterdam business in America employing EU style of the office. It feels that the NORAM is moving away from the Amsterdam model and more into a American call center model which is sad.

Booking.com2018-08-30

"Worse Company Award!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Executive in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Booking.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

The only pro for Booking.com is the diversity. Nothing else.

Cons

The internal communication is fail, with divergent info in each department and between departments as well. HR and director knows about the problems, but they prefer to ignore what happens. They don't really care for employees. HR usually close tickets opened by employees without solve the problem. Is really frustrating. If you get Sick and need to request PTO, you run the rick to have your PTO denied... because doesn't matter the reason, you have to tell HR 24 hours in advance that you need PTO. Depending of your team leader, (s)he is going to say that you can Not use the bathroom in the first or last hour of work!! You have also to have print-screen of Everything that you do, because your team leader can decrease your worked ours without your knowledge, besides say that you checked-in late even if you were there on time, but could not login due technical issues. They want you to work on your breaks and lunch. Turnover is extremely high. Must people don't hold the job for more than 6 weeks. In the interviews and during career fairs is said that employees can apply to other positions in the company in 6 months. However, that is not true. Minimum time is 1 year, unless you are an exception, in other words: if you have great contacts And your team leader Really wants to help you. No Booking.com for me anymore.

Advice to Management

Should start taking care of the employees Should improve the communication in the company. Should give a very good train to: team leader, HR, trainer and recruiters.

Booking.com2017-09-10

"Overall a great company but beware of inter-office politics"

Former Employee - Customer Service Trainer in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Booking.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great work environment: collaborative, creative, and flexible. They understand employee engagement and strive to empower people. Lots of non-monetary benefits.

Cons

Your experience may vary depending on your team leader and her/his leadership style. There are cliques especially in some of the more established teams that can create negative impacts.

Booking.com2017-02-09

"The Glass Ceiling"

Former Employee - Bilingual Customer Service Representative in Orlando, FL

I worked at Booking.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

• Free trip to Amsterdam • Great colleagues • Flexible Schedule

Cons

• Horrible pay for the high demands of the job • Poor management (unprofessional and lazy) • Inappropriate behaviors from Team Leaders • Blatant Favoritism within the office • Biased and unfair promotions based off connections and favoritism and not actual work performance or good attendance • Poor bonus structure

Advice to Management

Here's a crazy idea: Promote people based off actual merit and work performance, and not just because you favour them. Also, pay your employees what they are worth. Booking.com claims to be the best online accommodation site in the world yet under pays and under values employee. Free water bottles and umbrellas just don't cut it.

Booking.com2016-10-21

"No one will do it for you"

I have been working at Booking.com

Pros

Free fruit, trips to Amsterdam, and your colleagues. Seniors are the most helpful and willing to push you along in your career. Team Leaders lean on the seniors for everything regarding procedures and navigating the extranet and website.

Cons

Keep track of your great work, and get ready to defend it. Theres a microscope on where You can improve and this will cost you your bonus. No one is going to do it for you. You can not count on your Team Leader to even bee around or have the the Booking values to go to bat for you.

Advice to Management

Middle Management needs an over haul on their Booking values. When I reported that people cut serious corners to meet the quotas I was told by my Team Leader "thats complete asinine" when I brought this information to her boss I was told "that never happens or they would already know about it."

Booking.com2016-10-08

"Recommended for singles only"

Customer Service Executive

I worked at Booking.com

Pros

More so than customer service, you're actually playing the 3rd party or middle ground between Hotel and guests who booked through Booking.com. The normal phone calls consists of cancel reservation requests to answering questions about the hotel the potential guest are trying to book. There is a set of procedure you need to follow regarding complaints, so if you memorize and know it well, this job is no challenge at... all.

Cons

I enjoyed working at this place, but the attendant policy was too overwhelming. The company uses a point-formula where you're basically given 6 points to lose until you're terminated. For every time you call in, you get a point taken away. if you happen to call in on a weekend when you're scheduled, you lose two points. You can absolutely regain your points, but you'd have to have perfect attendance (no tardy or... absence) for 30-days in order to gain back one point. Ridiculously, when you get 3 points taken away, your team leader would ask you for a one-on-one talk and basically warns you on what's going to happen if you keep losing points. Also, you are basically put on a probation for 1 month until you gain back your point to drop it down to 2. What probation means is that you cannot bid to change your schedule or even consider changing department/promotion opportunities.

Booking.com2016-08-01

"Good benefits, but weak management"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Booking.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company gives great discounts on hotels and good insurance.If you have a good Team Leader you are lucky, but if no...I am sorry

Cons

Weak management.In our office in Bellevue promotions seemed to be approved by one amorous Team Leader who did not like serious, educated, not flirty women.This situation gave power to a lot of mediocres and people who do not improve quality in the company, but just never argue and do not have their own opinion.Quality control in the company is quite unfriendly to employes and only busy with being nice to those who... promoted them. Very low emotional intelligence is a mark of the company that I have noticed in 2015.

Advice to Management

Change Team Leads who promote mediocres and be more just and brave themselves.Learn to connect to people.Investigate more on low quality people promotions.

Booking.com2016-02-01