Books-A-Million Reviews in Panama City, FL | Glassdoor

Panama City, FL

2.8
Terry Finley

Pros
Cons
  • The main focus of the job is centered around getting people to sign up for discount cards (in 260 reviews)

• The starting pay is just above minimum wage and selling membership cards and magazines can be a bit challenging (in 73 reviews)

"It's alright."

Current Employee - Bookseller in Panama City, FL

I have been working at Books-A-Million part-time (More than a year)

Pros

1) Employee discount
    2) Coworkers are amazing, management makes an effort to build a cohesive team (If my coworkers were any different, none of the other "perks" of this job would be worth it to me)
    3) Being around books all day
    4) Seeing new cool/funny products before they hit the shelves
    5) Getting to help customers
    6) Free cafe drinks
    7) Able to check books out, library-style
    8) BookMarks program, able to redeem points for prizes like gift cards
    9) Promotion is very acheivable
    10) Super flexible schedule

Cons

1) There is so much pressure to sell discount cards, auto-renewals, and magazine subscriptions. It stems from corporate, who puts insane pressure on the managers. Managers get stressed out and in turn put the pressure on associates. For 8.50/hr, I don't really understand why we're expected to be amazing salesmen. Recently, managers have threatened us with write-ups for not meeting our sales goals. Way to boost morale.

2) I don't care how nicely corporate or management word the MFM program and try to make it sound like it's beneficial for the customer. Customers know it's a scam, and it drives them away. Once, I skipped over pitching the mags to a customer and at the end of the transaction, he actually THANKED me for not "asking him about those stupid magazines". Often, before I can even greet them at the register, customers cut me off and say, "I don't want any magazines, so please don't ask me." Why would you even want this image associated with your brand, where customers are so annoyed by the badgering that they distrust the associates? Practice what you preach and put the customer's needs first. BAM needs to get rid of the magazine program, leave it to FYE, and think of a more honest way to make money.

I think the discount card is a great deal for customers and I have no problem pitching it. I had one for many years before becoming an employee. However, the magazines are a scam and we have so many angry customers coming in because they "got stuck" in a magazine subscription and no longer shop with us because we are untrustworthy.

Advice to Management

If employees aren't selling as well as others, train them in cafe or have them tasking and getting things done around the store. Don't just throw associates that aren't as strong in sales on the registers every day and complain when metrics are bad.

Hire more people. Hire more people. Hire more people. It's nice having a cohesive team, but it feels like management is overly picky about hiring, despite the store needing new employees. Before me, they hadn't hired anyone new in about 9 months.

"Definitely deserves it's spot as the Worst Company to work for..."

Current Employee - Co-Manager in Panama City, FL
    Current Employee - Co-Manager in Panama City, FL

I have been working at Books-A-Million full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employee Discount 20% and 30% on payday.

Medical and other benefits pretty much on par for industry.

Book Checkout.

Cons

Discount Cards, Magazine Sales, Auto Renewals and other company programs will turn your customers against you and make you wish you were never hired.

Lack of leadership from General Manager or Assistant General Manager and Up to Corp. Level.

Company DOES NOT give raises period.

No room for growth, unless you want to pick up and move yourself and/or family somewhere else.

Stores are run down and it takes forever to get anything fixed, if it gets fixed at all.

As a Co-Manager I care about the customers and my employees. I have seen many great employees harassed about not being able to sell company programs until they quit or get fired. I have also seen my GM badger customers about these same programs, to the point that they leave their purchases and walk out stating they will never come back.

We are suppose to be involved with the local community: schools, libraries, story times, etc. GM and AGM told a local author they wouldn't do a book signing because there was little to no chance that he would make the store money. Schools won't do business with us because the GM and AGM neglect them. We don't do story time because we do not have enough payroll to have the extra person we need to run a story time or even a place to hold story time as the company crams more and more crap into the store.

Discount card getting harder to sell as its price rises but the benefits shrink.

Magazine program just there so company can shakedown customers for the kickbacks they get from the company that provides them. Which makes no sense, since we have a huge selection of magazines in our own store that people buy that this company is under cutting us to sell.

I could list more but other have done this as well. Read other reviews here on glass door and you will see what we mean.

Advice to Management

Quit ignoring us and listen. Quit telling your District Managers that we all need to come to websites like this and lie to make the company look good. Keep the discount card and get rid of magazines. We want you to be the best company to work for, but you refuse to listen.

"All they care about is selling their stupid discount cards"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Panama City, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Panama City, FL

I worked at Books-A-Million full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of my coworkers were literate, interesting people who really loved books. You can borrow books from the store to take home and read.

Cons

Incessant emphasis on selling overpriced discount card, at the expense of customer service. Low pay, even the managers were making poverty level wages. Upper management inhuman. Turned what could have been a pleasant position helping people purchase books into a sales competition pitting employees against each other. If you can't sell enough they will cut your hours down to the point where you have no choice but to leave or work part time

Advice to Management

Stop making everything about selling discount cards - once the price of these things was doubled, they became impractical for all but the most high volume customers - anyone who can do basic math knows that the card is not a good deal, so that leaves you to basically prey on the ignorant and gullible to make your quota. You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

"In the year I have been with Books A Million it has had ups and downs but never boring."

Current Employee - Bookseller in Panama City, FL

I have been working at Books-A-Million part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I get to work around books and people which I love. As an employee you get a 20% discount and on every payday it is 30% off.

Cons

The pay could be better. No raises. When I put in for the position I said I couldn't work Sundays unless absolutely no one was available. The asst. manager is good about giving me it off if she makes the schedule but the general manager will work me every time. We are supposed to wear business casual and no shorts,no bra straps showing but some people can get away with it.

Advice to Management

Have a set of rules that applies to everyone and follow through with it. Pay attention to when employees are not available and schedule accordingly.