Boom Lab Reviews | Glassdoor

1. Featured Review

"Couldn't Be Happier"

Current Employee - Project Management Associate in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Project Management Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Boom Lab full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The authenticity and positive energy within this company is unmatched. Since joining Boom Lab in a training class, I have been able to make and sustain lasting friendships with peers and managers. The back office team has been helpful and considerate when finding the right fit for both my project and my client (I have completed two projects). You will have all of Boom Lab pulling for you - your recruiters, consultant managers, and delivery managers. You are given clear expectations and a clear career growth plan. Incredible environment to start your career!

Cons

The interview process is rigorous, so be prepared to come in to the office for multiple interviews (both one-on-one and in a group setting) before hearing a decision.

2. "Good company if coming out of college."

Former Employee - Analyst
    Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at Boom Lab full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Good learning environment, if its your first job out of college.
    -Training in agile is available.
    -Great if you want to have an "in" to larger industry companies.

Cons

-Pay is not close to on par if you have been in the workforce, for a few years.
    -If you want training outside of Agile, it is not easy to come by.
    -Not true consulting as described, but rather a true Staff Aug environment.

3. "Take the job out of school...and immediately look for other options."

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Boom Lab full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Training opportunities for "consultants"

Cons

-Pay is not competitive... I left and made an additional $25k/ year

-Boom Lab management hired me claiming it was management consulting...just to be pitched to IT Departments as a contractor. No transparency or integrity in this process

-As mentioned above, this is not actually consulting...this is IT contracting.

-Clients bring in Boom Lab contractors for low level tasks such as data entry and augmenting existing staff on grunt work

- Does not pay out PTO upon resignation as we were promised in training - get absolutely everything in writing from them or they will take advantage of you

Advice to Management

Be transparent. Call a spade a black shovel and call Boom Lab a temp firm.

Boom Lab Response

Feb 28, 2018 – Marketing Manager

We appreciate your feedback. We focus on Project Delivery consulting, and strive to provide all of our consultants with meaningful, challenging work in IT and business. Details on our operating... More

"Fantastic at marketing as a consulting company - but lacks integrity"

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Plymouth, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Plymouth, MN

I worked at Boom Lab full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They provide a lot of training, have a strong community culture, and the benefits are great. It’s a great opportunity to get a sense of what corporate work life is like, and can help you get a foot in the door with another company as a client.

Cons

They oversell everything - they convince you of a role being a great fit when it rarely is, and say the same to the client about the “consultant” (contractor, realistically) being a great fit. I was with the company for about a year before I finally left. I (and many coworkers of mine) were given jobs that clients didn’t want to do, which is where the demand for roles comes from. Clients tell the contractors what to do, not ask for advice about what/how to do something - that’s not a consulting role. “Consulting” is just an appealing role to most of their hires, which are freshly graduated college students with minimal work experience.

They are great at marketing, and I am incredibly surprised to see it has such a good rating on Glass Door, which makes me doubt my review will be here long....

They say they’ll provide you a company email address to look professional, which is incredibly misleading bc it’s an address that just forwards to your personal email. So any time you give a business card out, and someone emails you, your response HAS to come from your personal email. How inconvenient and confusing is that?!

I was really disappointed with my experience there and have been with 2 other companies (1yr+ each) that were so much more professional.

Advice to Management

Don’t oversell to your contractors or clients, and realize this is a contracting company that typically is contract to hire. Also, treat your employees well and be honest - don’t do little things like make them think they get their own company email (which is very common for ANY company to provide, cheaply), then have them realize it’s a fake and really just a routing address to personal emails.

5. "Technical Analyst"

Pros

Great support from the back office.
    Great people that work in the back office.
    Wide variety of clients in the twin cities.

Cons

Clients are very hit or miss, some can be engaging while other can be a total mismatch.

Advice to Management

Overall an excellent experience, I just wish I could get a good match client wise for me.

6. "You Really Want to Work Here"

Former Employee - Project Management Associate in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Project Management Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Boom Lab full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Continous Training: keeping up on the latest trends in the industry is a must in our fast-paced environment. Boom Lab and ThreeBridge have is covered from week-night to weekend-long training as well as extensive training for new consultants so you come to your client site as prepared as possible.
    - Working Relationships: there are countless ways to form new connections with your fellow colleagues at Boom Lab. Through happy hours, volunteering events and days spent in the back office, you are truly surrounded by some of the brightest people who are a true joy to work with.
    - Professional Growth/Support: As a new consultant, I was concerned that I would be left to fend for myself once I arrived at my client; this could not have been further from reality. I was met with continuous support in ensuring my client was the best fit and answers to every logistical question I could think of.
    - THE Best Clients: each of their clients know Boom Lab for supplying fresh and talented consultants ready for anything that may be thrown their way. From my personal experience, it has been nothing but positive.

Cons

Compensation: this is slightly below the industry average, however, they do seem to be working towards more competitive packages. As has been mentioned in previous reviews, the yearly raise structure is definitely above average.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. The focus on growth and learning opportunities for you consultants is extremely beneficial to demonstrating you are investing in their professional AND personal growth.

7. "Couldn't be more grateful"

Former Employee - Project Management Associate in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Project Management Associate in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Boom Lab full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company culture
    Incredible focus on consultant development
    Engaging, challenging, and fun work placements
    Good interaction with company leaders - CEO, SVPs.

Cons

Health benefits - a growing pain is the lack of good health insurance in Saint Louis. As a result of the insurer being Minneapolis based - with a Minnesota-specific network.

Advice to Management

I absolutely loved the model, the people, and the work. Keep doing exactly what you all are doing!

8. "Decent first job..."

I have been working at Boom Lab full-time

Pros

Consultants are well supported by the back office staff, and there are ample training opportunities.

Cons

Salary and benefits are below average for the industry. Many young consultants were brought in with the expectation that management consulting projects were available, but Boom Lab is actually just an IT staffing firm.

Advice to Management

More transparency about the nature of the work.

9. "Great!"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Boom Lab full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very helpful and actually care about what you are wanting to do with your future. Have bench hours which is awesome in-between clients. Young company too!

Cons

NA - great company to work for!

Advice to Management

Keep itup!

"Willing to put profit over consultant (contractor)"

Current Employee - Technical Analysis Associate in Maple Grove, MN
    Current Employee - Technical Analysis Associate in Maple Grove, MN

I have been working at Boom Lab full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-boom lab does a good job of community engagement, meaning you get plenty of opportunities to volunteer in the local community

-back office staff is cool and fun to be around

-company events are sponsored, meaning food and drinks are free

-work life balance, you are capped at 40 hours a week and if you do overtime (I've only ever heard of like 1 person ever do this) then you get paid your hourly rate for OT

Cons

I just wrote a very long review of the cons of Boom Lab but glassdoor timed out on me, so here's an abbreviated list of things I want applicants to know:

You will be a contractor, not a consultant. Google "the difference between consultant and contractor" and the first link will provide plenty of clarity. None of my coworkers have ever provided advice or their opinion to clients (which is what real consultants do), it's all been project execution (meaning you are given a specific set of instructions how to do something and you do it, aka contract work.) Advertising that it's consulting is a little misleading.

Compensation is well below what consultants are paid at other companies. Don't look at the percentage raises they offer you, look at the dollar value. High percentages of a low salary is still a low number.

You are sold on promises of getting to work at Fortune 500 companies and doing meaningful work but there's a chance you won't get either of those things. I am fortunate enough to be at one of their biggest clients but they don't advertise to you about the boring projects at clients you've never even heard of. An "end goal" for a lot of my fellow consultants is to get a job offer from their client after their project ends but that is by no means a guarantee at all.

I've read from other reviews that PTO is not paid out if you leave the company.

Project work for a few of my friends here is unfulfilling. Contracts for projects are often times prioritized by how much money they're making Boom Lab instead of how good of a fit it will be for the employee.

in the interview process, I was given a little less than a week to decide if I wanted the job or not, but I asked for longer and was told that I could lose my spot in the training class if I didn't accept. I'm pretty sure that's not a real thing, if you take a few extra days to accept I guarantee you won't lose your position. once I learned about the false urgency I resented them a little for it.

If you've bothered to read this far into my review, that is evidence that you care about your career, and I thus urge you to consider what I'm saying about working here. I know this review sounds scathing at times but I am just trying to provide an angle that the people recruiting you won't tell you. There is a chance that you get to do great work at a great client, but I regret taking the chance so far, because that isn't the promise for everybody. I don't think anybody deserves to start their career in a role that they hate so that's why I'm trying to be as transparent as I can about my experience thus far.

Advice to Management

Urge the sales team to find meaningful work rather than just focusing on lucrative contracts for the company that put the contractor in an unfulfilling position. It doesn't look great to promise great employee/project fit when it becomes evident that finance is the true motivator. Top talent also won't consider working here unless something is done about compensation.

Boom Lab Response

May 24, 2017 – Managing Partner

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Candid feedback like yours helps us understand different perspectives, and we take it seriously when an employee is not getting the typical Boom Lab experience. Our... More