Boom Lab Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Couldn't Be Happier"

Current Employee - Project Management Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Boom Lab full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The authenticity and positive energy within this company is unmatched. Since joining Boom Lab in a training class, I have been able to make and sustain lasting friendships with peers and managers. The back office team has been helpful and considerate when finding the right fit for both my project and my client (I have completed two projects). You will have all of Boom Lab pulling for you - your recruiters, consultant managers, and delivery managers. You are given clear expectations and a clear career growth plan. Incredible environment to start your career!

Cons

The interview process is rigorous, so be prepared to come in to the office for multiple interviews (both one-on-one and in a group setting) before hearing a decision.

2. "I love this company so much!"

Current Employee - Project Management Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Boom Lab full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Amazing environment
    -Fun community activities
    -Lots of great benefits
    -Great promotions chain and opportunities to grow
    -Professional Training Opportunities
    -Certification Reimbursements
    -Exposure to huge Fortune 500 companies
    -Intense and high impact project work
    -Amazing Executive Leaders

Cons

-You don't always get a guarantee on an amazing project, some projects aren't a good fit and it is hard to guess that until its happening
    -The chain of promotions does stop eventually and it gets harder to grow after 5 or so years
    -Less pay then you may actually be worth

3. "100% Recommend!"

Current Employee - Assistant Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Assistant Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Boom Lab full-time

Pros

~A very supportive back office: everyone is there to help you in your career.
    ~Growth opportunities: the company provides several training's that push you to grow in your career.
    ~Wonderful culture: young and innovate
    ~Exposure to fortune 100 and 500 companies: I was on a project with a fortune 100 company and it was great exposure
    ~ New associate training: two week training with individuals who were just starting their career as well
    ~Work-life balance

Cons

~You may not know what project you will be placed on but they are very upfront about it.

4. "Opportunity, Training, and Advancement!"

Current Employee - Senior Project Management Associate in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Project Management Associate in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Boom Lab full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of training/certification opportunities that are paid for you
    Work/Life Balance, 3 weeks vacation, company sponsored events, career advice
    Assignments can lead to full time employment offers, give you experience that boost your career, and seriously increase the worth of your talent (depending on your skill area)

Cons

Compensation is decent, but would be nice if high performers could be incentivized or considered for raises outside of yearly reviews
    No referral bonuses

Advice to Management

Keep up the awesome work! I love the culture you've created, training opportunities, investments made for consultants, and it is great to see the brand expanding nationally! Higher salaries for more qualified candidates would be a something to consider in the future.

5. "A great learning opportunity in IT project delivery"

I have been working at Boom Lab full-time

Pros

Plenty of opportunity to learn and try out different projects/companies.

Cons

You don't really have a choice in where you go. Some projects are good, some are bad.

Advice to Management

Stick to core principle of building careers. If a consultant is not in a good position, help move them rather than just talking to them about what they arent liking.

6. "Good Company for Starting Out"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Boom Lab full-time

Pros

Great company if just starting out in the industry. Numerous training opportunities and ability to build relationships with the delivery and consultant manager teams allows for career development and growth. Can connect with other consultants at frequent social and charity events. Ability to have good work life balance (40 hours per week) if desired, or ability to work overtime to receive yearly bonus (depending on client). Many large and well known clients/companies with which to be placed. W2 employee option enables a decent benefits plan.

Cons

Some client placements had ambiguous/unstructured roles which led to unfulfilling project experiences.

PTO must be used for jury duty.

Advice to Management

Would love to see some sort of small bonus for any employee referrals that are hired. Referring an employee to Boom Lab shows that the current employee is invested in the company's growth and development.

Pay scale is unclear. Would appreciate learning more about what the average starting salary is and how that is adjusted based on previous work experience, as well as how salary grows as you advance through the company's development track.

7. "Good company if coming out of college."

Former Employee - Analyst
    Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at Boom Lab full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Good learning environment, if its your first job out of college.
    -Training in agile is available.
    -Great if you want to have an "in" to larger industry companies.

Cons

-Pay is not close to on par if you have been in the workforce, for a few years.
    -If you want training outside of Agile, it is not easy to come by.
    -Not true consulting as described, but rather a true Staff Aug environment.

8. "Take the job out of school...and immediately look for other options."

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Boom Lab full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Training opportunities for "consultants"

Cons

-Pay is not competitive... I left and made an additional $25k/ year

-Boom Lab management hired me claiming it was management consulting...just to be pitched to IT Departments as a contractor. No transparency or integrity in this process

-As mentioned above, this is not actually consulting...this is IT contracting.

-Clients bring in Boom Lab contractors for low level tasks such as data entry and augmenting existing staff on grunt work

- Does not pay out PTO upon resignation as we were promised in training - get absolutely everything in writing from them or they will take advantage of you

Advice to Management

Be transparent. Call a spade a black shovel and call Boom Lab a temp firm.

Boom Lab Response

Feb 28, 2018 – Marketing Manager

We appreciate your feedback. We focus on Project Delivery consulting, and strive to provide all of our consultants with meaningful, challenging work in IT and business. Details on our operating... More

"Fantastic at marketing as a consulting company - but lacks integrity"

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Plymouth, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Plymouth, MN

I worked at Boom Lab full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They provide a lot of training, have a strong community culture, and the benefits are great. It’s a great opportunity to get a sense of what corporate work life is like, and can help you get a foot in the door with another company as a client.

Cons

They oversell everything - they convince you of a role being a great fit when it rarely is, and say the same to the client about the “consultant” (contractor, realistically) being a great fit. I was with the company for about a year before I finally left. I (and many coworkers of mine) were given jobs that clients didn’t want to do, which is where the demand for roles comes from. Clients tell the contractors what to do, not ask for advice about what/how to do something - that’s not a consulting role. “Consulting” is just an appealing role to most of their hires, which are freshly graduated college students with minimal work experience.

They are great at marketing, and I am incredibly surprised to see it has such a good rating on Glass Door, which makes me doubt my review will be here long....

They say they’ll provide you a company email address to look professional, which is incredibly misleading bc it’s an address that just forwards to your personal email. So any time you give a business card out, and someone emails you, your response HAS to come from your personal email. How inconvenient and confusing is that?!

I was really disappointed with my experience there and have been with 2 other companies (1yr+ each) that were so much more professional.

Advice to Management

Don’t oversell to your contractors or clients, and realize this is a contracting company that typically is contract to hire. Also, treat your employees well and be honest - don’t do little things like make them think they get their own company email (which is very common for ANY company to provide, cheaply), then have them realize it’s a fake and really just a routing address to personal emails.

"Technical Analyst"

Pros

Great support from the back office.
    Great people that work in the back office.
    Wide variety of clients in the twin cities.

Cons

Clients are very hit or miss, some can be engaging while other can be a total mismatch.

Advice to Management

Overall an excellent experience, I just wish I could get a good match client wise for me.