Boom Lab Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"An honest, ethical company with amazing culture"

Current Employee - Project Management Associate in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Project Management Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Boom Lab full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- The culture. I have made some of the best connections/colleagues/friends through my position at Boom Lab. Beginning with the training program in the most recent "start class," I have been able to cultivate connections and foster relationships that I otherwise wouldn't have been able to without Boom Lab.
    - The client atmosphere. I love my assignment--the back office team did an incredible job matching my skillset with client needs.
    - The training. I was ready to hit the ground running at the client site after 2 weeks of intense training post-graduation.
    - The support system. I know that if I have any issues with the client/my assignment, I can reach out to my consultant manager and she will be able to support me in whatever ways needed to achieve a positive end result.

Cons

- The starting salary is a bit below industry average (although the raise structure is quite generious compared to industry average).

Advice to Management

Work on recruiting talent by increasing the starting salary.

2. "You Really Want to Work Here"

Former Employee - Project Management Associate in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Project Management Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Boom Lab full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Continous Training: keeping up on the latest trends in the industry is a must in our fast-paced environment. Boom Lab and ThreeBridge have is covered from week-night to weekend-long training as well as extensive training for new consultants so you come to your client site as prepared as possible.
    - Working Relationships: there are countless ways to form new connections with your fellow colleagues at Boom Lab. Through happy hours, volunteering events and days spent in the back office, you are truly surrounded by some of the brightest people who are a true joy to work with.
    - Professional Growth/Support: As a new consultant, I was concerned that I would be left to fend for myself once I arrived at my client; this could not have been further from reality. I was met with continuous support in ensuring my client was the best fit and answers to every logistical question I could think of.
    - THE Best Clients: each of their clients know Boom Lab for supplying fresh and talented consultants ready for anything that may be thrown their way. From my personal experience, it has been nothing but positive.

Cons

Compensation: this is slightly below the industry average, however, they do seem to be working towards more competitive packages. As has been mentioned in previous reviews, the yearly raise structure is definitely above average.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. The focus on growth and learning opportunities for you consultants is extremely beneficial to demonstrating you are investing in their professional AND personal growth.

3. "Couldn't be more grateful"

Former Employee - Project Management Associate in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Project Management Associate in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Boom Lab full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company culture
    Incredible focus on consultant development
    Engaging, challenging, and fun work placements
    Good interaction with company leaders - CEO, SVPs.

Cons

Health benefits - a growing pain is the lack of good health insurance in Saint Louis. As a result of the insurer being Minneapolis based - with a Minnesota-specific network.

Advice to Management

I absolutely loved the model, the people, and the work. Keep doing exactly what you all are doing!

4. "Decent first job..."

I have been working at Boom Lab full-time

Pros

Consultants are well supported by the back office staff, and there are ample training opportunities.

Cons

Salary and benefits are below average for the industry. Many young consultants were brought in with the expectation that management consulting projects were available, but Boom Lab is actually just an IT staffing firm.

Advice to Management

More transparency about the nature of the work.

5. "Great!"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Boom Lab full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very helpful and actually care about what you are wanting to do with your future. Have bench hours which is awesome in-between clients. Young company too!

Cons

NA - great company to work for!

Advice to Management

Keep itup!

"Willing to put profit over consultant (contractor)"

Current Employee - Technical Analysis Associate in Maple Grove, MN
    Current Employee - Technical Analysis Associate in Maple Grove, MN

I have been working at Boom Lab full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-boom lab does a good job of community engagement, meaning you get plenty of opportunities to volunteer in the local community

-back office staff is cool and fun to be around

-company events are sponsored, meaning food and drinks are free

-work life balance, you are capped at 40 hours a week and if you do overtime (I've only ever heard of like 1 person ever do this) then you get paid your hourly rate for OT

Cons

I just wrote a very long review of the cons of Boom Lab but glassdoor timed out on me, so here's an abbreviated list of things I want applicants to know:

You will be a contractor, not a consultant. Google "the difference between consultant and contractor" and the first link will provide plenty of clarity. None of my coworkers have ever provided advice or their opinion to clients (which is what real consultants do), it's all been project execution (meaning you are given a specific set of instructions how to do something and you do it, aka contract work.) Advertising that it's consulting is a little misleading.

Compensation is well below what consultants are paid at other companies. Don't look at the percentage raises they offer you, look at the dollar value. High percentages of a low salary is still a low number.

You are sold on promises of getting to work at Fortune 500 companies and doing meaningful work but there's a chance you won't get either of those things. I am fortunate enough to be at one of their biggest clients but they don't advertise to you about the boring projects at clients you've never even heard of. An "end goal" for a lot of my fellow consultants is to get a job offer from their client after their project ends but that is by no means a guarantee at all.

I've read from other reviews that PTO is not paid out if you leave the company.

Project work for a few of my friends here is unfulfilling. Contracts for projects are often times prioritized by how much money they're making Boom Lab instead of how good of a fit it will be for the employee.

in the interview process, I was given a little less than a week to decide if I wanted the job or not, but I asked for longer and was told that I could lose my spot in the training class if I didn't accept. I'm pretty sure that's not a real thing, if you take a few extra days to accept I guarantee you won't lose your position. once I learned about the false urgency I resented them a little for it.

If you've bothered to read this far into my review, that is evidence that you care about your career, and I thus urge you to consider what I'm saying about working here. I know this review sounds scathing at times but I am just trying to provide an angle that the people recruiting you won't tell you. There is a chance that you get to do great work at a great client, but I regret taking the chance so far, because that isn't the promise for everybody. I don't think anybody deserves to start their career in a role that they hate so that's why I'm trying to be as transparent as I can about my experience thus far.

Advice to Management

Urge the sales team to find meaningful work rather than just focusing on lucrative contracts for the company that put the contractor in an unfulfilling position. It doesn't look great to promise great employee/project fit when it becomes evident that finance is the true motivator. Top talent also won't consider working here unless something is done about compensation.

May 24, 2017 – Managing Partner

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Candid feedback like yours helps us understand different perspectives, and we take it seriously when an employee is not getting the typical Boom Lab experience. Our... More

"Associate"

I have been working at Boom Lab full-time

Pros

-Location
    -Back office is usually very friendly
    -Working with people around your age

Cons

-A lot of repetitive tasks
    -Management has lectured about Politics to employees during events
    -Below average pay
    -Poor benefits

Advice to Management

A lot of the negative reviews say the same stuff, I think it would be worth looking into

"Great for Career Development"

Current Employee - Business Analysis Associate II in Wayzata, MN
    Current Employee - Business Analysis Associate II in Wayzata, MN

I have been working at Boom Lab full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A Consultant Manager is assigned to you to help ensure your work experience is relevant to the career development course you're interested in, which is great. Especially for entry level roles. Also, they work at a variety of large companies which present an opportunity for job placement should a client company be a better/preferred fit than Boom.

Cons

It's more IT-oriented than I anticipated. It's common for people to get into a mundane role and be assigned something from the client company such as data mining, drafting SOPs, etc. Also, it can be a challenge to work closely with certain client employees.

Advice to Management

Continue what you're doing, expand further into specialized roles. ESPECIALLY beyond entry level, that's becoming the niche and it should be considered to expand beyond that.

Nov 15, 2016 – Communications Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We agree - our team of Consultant Managers is a great differentiator for us. Boom Lab is specifically designed to train and develop early-career consultants, and... More

"Good company to help you transition into business"

Pros

Very supportive back office team. Great exposure to the founders, very friendly engaging atmosphere at the back office. Solid training. If you're interested in transitioning to business but have limited education, training or experience, Boom Lab is perfect.

Cons

The work was far from challenging. The clients didn't expect much out of me and neither did my Boom Lab manager. Some other employees had similar or worse experiences. I was told it would get better over time with new assignments but I didn't stay very long.

Advice to Management

If you intend to hire competitive talent, give challenging work and competitive salary. It will pay off in the long run.

Jun 22, 2016 – Communications Manager

Thank you for your feedback. Consulting in a unique industry: the ambiguity with client environments can make it difficult to see the value in your work or career--particularly on your first... More

"Senior Project Coordinator"

Former Employee - Senior Project Coordinator in Edina, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Project Coordinator in Edina, MN

I worked at Boom Lab full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome entry level position to get that 2-4 years of experience everyone seems to need to get into the industry. Awesome staff that want to see you succeed and off to the next step in your career.

Cons

Work can be dauntingly boring and mundane. But if you can hone your administrative and project management skills it can be super beneficial.

Advice to Management

keep it up and please expand into international contracts!

Jun 22, 2016 – Communications Manager

Thank you for your kind words! We really appreciate your standpoint on finding value in all situations. We know not every assignment will be a consultant’s favorite, but often times it’s those... More