Boom Lab Reviews

Updated May 18, 2020

4.1
Boom Lab Founder and CEO Jim Kelly
Jim Kelly
Pros
  • "I see people from the back office at my client every day where we get coffee and catch up(in 19 reviews)

• "LOTS of training opportunities so no excuse to not advance your career(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "Boom Lab is not a consulting firm(in 4 reviews)

• "The pay is on the lower end of the industry average but it's part of their business model, being the "value" consulting firm(in 4 reviews)

1. "Flexible and Supportive"

Former Employee - Associate Project Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Boom Lab full-time for more than a year

Pros

Boom Lab often hires people with little to no experience in their field. They typically hire students who’ve recently graduated from college- this is an AMAZING thing! They look at the personality and the potential that their candidates have, rather then just what’s written on paper. I wasn’t fresh out of college when they hired me, but I WAS making a career switch. No other companies would take a second look at me when they saw that I didn’t have a previous job title to back up my interest in their open position. Boom Lab looked past my previous job titles and interviewed me, giving me a chance to explain why I was a perfect fit for their company. I’m so grateful they gave me that chance and hired me. They gave me a foothold into my dream job. I only worked for Boom Lab as a contractor for a little over a year, but during that year they supported me and gave me friendships (and a career) that I’ll be grateful for forever.

Cons

When you work for Boom Lab, you’re sent off to go work as a contractor at one of their client locations. Not necessarily a con, it’s just something I didn’t understand at first when I was looking at them. They have great clients all over the country, but just know that while you’ll be a Boom Lab Employee technically, your day to day life will take place at a client location. Since Boom Lab typically hires students right out of college, they offer a LOT of support for their employees. Trainings, Happy Hours, regular check-ins with a manager...all things that are probably very helpful and necessary for people who’ve never had a career before. But if you’ve been in the workforce for a while, sometimes it feels like a bit much.

2. "Decent Starter"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Boom Lab full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good place to launch a career

Cons

Pay is somewhat limited to other jobs

3. "Not at all as it seems"

2.0
    Former Employee - Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Boom Lab full-time for more than a year

Pros

they will take anyone they can

Cons

not invested in employees outside of HQ area, do not try to find jobs that match your skill set, shove you into whatever role is convenient for them to make money off of

4. "Good experience"

4.0
    Former Employee - Senior Associate Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Boom Lab full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible and great team. Lots of opportunities

Cons

I experienced no cons while working there.

5. "Project Management Associate"

Current Employee - Project Management Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Boom Lab full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great training opportunities for all employees; the company really invests in getting you the experience you are looking for.

Cons

On-client site 100%; not competitive salaries.

6. "Wonderful People, Great Opportunities"

4.0

I worked at Boom Lab full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great client list, free training opportunities including certifications, wonderful “back office” staff - Super caring and welcoming. Transparent leadership that actually gets to know you. Unlimited PTO.

Cons

Potential to be underpaid based on actual contract work. Likely switching roles every 6 months to 2 years. Difficult to promise a consistent experience for employees when they are at client sites.

Continue reading
  7. "Fun, cool company with extensive trainings and support!"

Current Employee - Project Management Associate

I have been working at Boom Lab full-time for less than a year

Pros

-it is a fun company that provides an ample of learning opportunities. They will often pay for pertinent certifications which is great at the beginning of your career -Great work life balance -The company puts in a lot of effort into community building activities and social events that are actually fun to go to -You have a 2 week training period as a Boom Lab employee that makes your transition working there very seamless!

Cons

-Not necessarily a con, but while this company does consulting, but it is primarily in technology implementation consulting not as much management or strategic consulting. So if that isn’t your thing, there aren’t a ton of other opportunities for you. However, it is all great learning.

"Boom Lab Opens Doors"

Former Employee - Project Management Senior Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Boom Lab full-time for more than a year

Pros

Recent grads get opportunities to move into roles at clients way faster than that client's employees usually get to. Everything is accelerated. On top of that you get to work for a company with a great culture, get training for free (including certifications like Certified Scrum Master), attend very fun company events, and the back office really cares about you and your career. You either get to keep consulting, trying new things, and get exposure to the largest and most well known companies in the area, or sometimes consultants get full time offers at their clients (usually a with a decent raise) to stay on there after their project. You can always come back to Boom Lab and they do really want what is best for you.

Cons

Sometimes projects are insanely busy or really slow or working with very challenging clients. You know you are signing up for the unknown. If you get a tough project, they probably won't pull you off the project.

Continue reading
  9. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Boom Lab full-time

Pros

Easy to work and move up within!

Cons

No downsides to report, great company!

"Know What You Are Getting Into"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Boom Lab full-time

Pros

Great training opportunities and the ability to build your resume right out of college. The company also has a nice culture and back-office staff that really care.

Cons

Boom Lab is not a consulting firm. If you are employed at Boom Lab you will not be a consultant. Boom Lab is a corporate contracting firm that calls its employees consultants. What you will be doing at Boom Lab is filling contracting roles or temp roles at large corporations. Do not be fooled. If you take this job you will not be consulting anyone about anything. That's not to say there are not benefits to the job, but if you want to be a consultant, know that is not what you will be doing at Boom Lab.

Boom Lab Response

November 4, 2019Recruiter

Thanks for your feedback! We are glad to hear you've benefited from Boom Lab training and your project work.%E2%80%9CConsultant%E2%80%9D is a broad term, and we know many companies use the term to mean different things. Consultants of all kinds exist in every line of business. Broken down, consultants are change agents that organizations leverage to solve problems.At Boom Lab, we specialize in Project Delivery consulting: we help deliver the large-scale business and technology projects that our clients are investing in. Those projects range dramatically in size, timeline, and objective; sometimes they are capacity or role-based and sometimes they're team or outcome-based. All operate with the same end goal: helping our clients run their businesses more smoothly, efficiently, and cost effectively.Boom Lab provides a path for our Associates and Senior Associates to build their careers in consulting, and as they grow in expertise and years of experience, they continue to bring more consultative thought leadership to our clients.

Found 58 reviews