Boom Lab Employee Reviews about "consulting firm"

Updated Oct 27, 2019

4.1
Boom Lab Founder and CEO Jim Kelly
Jim Kelly
Pros
  • "I see people from the back office at my client every day where we get coffee and catch up(in 19 reviews)

• "LOTS of training opportunities so no excuse to not advance your career(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "Boom Lab is not a consulting firm(in 4 reviews)

• "The pay is on the lower end of the industry average but it's part of their business model, being the "value" consulting firm(in 4 reviews)

Reviews about "consulting firm"

Return to all Reviews

"Know What You Are Getting Into"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Boom Lab full-time

Pros

Great training opportunities and the ability to build your resume right out of college. The company also has a nice culture and back-office staff that really care.

Cons

Boom Lab is not a consulting firm. If you are employed at Boom Lab you will not be a consultant. Boom Lab is a corporate contracting firm that calls its employees consultants. What you will be doing at Boom Lab is filling contracting roles or temp roles at large corporations. Do not be fooled. If you take this job you will not be consulting anyone about anything. That's not to say there are not benefits to the job, but if you want to be a consultant, know that is not what you will be doing at Boom Lab.

Boom Lab Response

Recruiter

Thanks for your feedback! We are glad to hear you've benefited from Boom Lab training and your project work.%E2%80%9CConsultant%E2%80%9D is a broad term, and we know many companies use the term to mean different things. Consultants of all kinds exist in every line of business. Broken down, consultants are change agents that organizations leverage to solve problems.At Boom Lab, we specialize in Project Delivery consulting: we help deliver the large-scale business and technology projects that our clients are investing in. Those projects range dramatically in size, timeline, and objective; sometimes they are capacity or role-based and sometimes they're team or outcome-based. All operate with the same end goal: helping our clients run their businesses more smoothly, efficiently, and cost effectively.Boom Lab provides a path for our Associates and Senior Associates to build their careers in consulting, and as they grow in expertise and years of experience, they continue to bring more consultative thought leadership to our clients.

"Strong Values"

4.0
    Current Employee - Busineess Analyst

I have been working at Boom Lab full-time for more than a year

Pros

Strong values that the company embraces daily. Very supportive back office that thinks of you as a person and not just a number. They provide the tools and resources at your disposal. Growing company with a lot of new opportunities on the horizon. Small but competitive with a lot of the bigger firms.

Cons

The pay is on the lower end of the industry average but it's part of their business model, being the "value" consulting firm. Boom Lab prides itself in "being the match". Sometimes you may get stuck on projects that may not align with your career goals per se and there's nothing worse than being on a project for a year+ that isn't geared toward what you want to do. It can be frustrating and sometimes difficult to move out of a misaligned project.

Continue reading

"Gain valuable experience, but we wary of management. They are experts at manipulating your trust."

2.0
    Former Employee - Business Consultant in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Boom Lab full-time for more than a year

Pros

You may gain very good industry experience, which will be valuable when you want to move on. The experience you have will depend entirely on the client your are placed with. Unfortunately, you have no choice which client that will be. If you're placed with a good client, you will have the ability to meet great people, work on challenging projects, learn new skills, make friends, and keep a healthy work/life balance.

Cons

If you're not placed with a good client. You will be working well over 40 hours each week, you will work weekends, holidays, and nights. Say goodbye to a work/life balance. Some people worked 70-80+ hour weeks all of the time. Although you're paid for the hours you work over 40, you're not paid the overtime rate, just your regular hourly rate. As a Boom Lab consultant, you're inexpensive labor to the client (compared with other consulting firm rates). The client doesn't care if you're overworked and exhausted, and neither does Boom Lab. Boom Lab makes money for every hour you're working at the client. They don't have an incentive to help you restore a work/life balance. They know if you quit, they will fill your position with someone else. That is until that replacement burns out, and the cycle continues. Also - Keep a close eye on your paid time off (PTO). There are a lot of consultants who give their two weeks notice and upon leaving are told they will not be paid the PTO which they earned as part of their compensation.

Continue reading

"Great place to get experience to start off your career. But know that you will be a contractor, not a consultant."

4.0
    Current Employee - Business Consultant in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Boom Lab full-time

Pros

Great work life balance. Able to try out multiple companies and industries before committing to one for the long haul. The hiring process is rigorous, so most Boom Lab "consultants" are easy to get along with and have great soft skills. Boom Lab checks in with you regularly to make sure everything is going well at your client. But there is a finite amount they can do from the outside if you are struggling with certain aspects of the role. Since you are salaried, the time spent between clients is still paid, and you have a dedicated team searching for new roles for you.

Cons

Functions more like a staffing agency than a true consulting firm. Projects and client assignments are hit or miss as Boom Lab continues to acquire new clients. Some of these clients are good fits for Boom Lab (you'll be given meaningful, challenging work), and some are not (you'll do monotonous Spreadsheet Monkey work). If you want to be challenged and grow professionally, you may be able to do that at your first client or two...and you may not. It all depends on the specific project and team you're assigned to-- it's just the luck of the draw. Training is not what Boom Lab makes it out to be-- a two week "bootcamp" (helpful, but not revolutionary), plus intermittent, optional sessions or half--day training throughout the year. Nice option to have, but not substantive enough to actually make much of a difference in your professional advancement.

Continue reading

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 4 reviews