Boom Lab Employee Reviews about "training opportunities"

Updated Mar 12, 2020

4.1
Boom Lab Founder and CEO Jim Kelly
Jim Kelly
Pros
  • "I see people from the back office at my client every day where we get coffee and catch up(in 19 reviews)

• "LOTS of training opportunities so no excuse to not advance your career(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "Boom Lab is not a consulting firm(in 4 reviews)

• "The pay is on the lower end of the industry average but it's part of their business model, being the "value" consulting firm(in 4 reviews)

Reviews about "training opportunities"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Project Management Associate"

Current Employee - Project Management Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Boom Lab full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great training opportunities for all employees; the company really invests in getting you the experience you are looking for.

Cons

On-client site 100%; not competitive salaries.

2. "Wonderful People, Great Opportunities"

I worked at Boom Lab full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great client list, free training opportunities including certifications, wonderful “back office” staff - Super caring and welcoming. Transparent leadership that actually gets to know you. Unlimited PTO.

Cons

Potential to be underpaid based on actual contract work. Likely switching roles every 6 months to 2 years. Difficult to promise a consistent experience for employees when they are at client sites.

Continue reading

"Know What You Are Getting Into"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Boom Lab full-time

Pros

Great training opportunities and the ability to build your resume right out of college. The company also has a nice culture and back-office staff that really care.

Cons

Boom Lab is not a consulting firm. If you are employed at Boom Lab you will not be a consultant. Boom Lab is a corporate contracting firm that calls its employees consultants. What you will be doing at Boom Lab is filling contracting roles or temp roles at large corporations. Do not be fooled. If you take this job you will not be consulting anyone about anything. That's not to say there are not benefits to the job, but if you want to be a consultant, know that is not what you will be doing at Boom Lab.

Recruiter

Thanks for your feedback! We are glad to hear you've benefited from Boom Lab training and your project work.%E2%80%9CConsultant%E2%80%9D is a broad term, and we know many companies use the term to mean different things. Consultants of all kinds exist in every line of business. Broken down, consultants are change agents that organizations leverage to solve problems.At Boom Lab, we specialize in Project Delivery consulting: we help deliver the large-scale business and technology projects that our clients are investing in. Those projects range dramatically in size, timeline, and objective; sometimes they are capacity or role-based and sometimes they're team or outcome-based. All operate with the same end goal: helping our clients run their businesses more smoothly, efficiently, and cost effectively.Boom Lab provides a path for our Associates and Senior Associates to build their careers in consulting, and as they grow in expertise and years of experience, they continue to bring more consultative thought leadership to our clients.

4. "Great Opportunity - Great Rewards"

Current Employee - Senior Associate Business Analyst

I have been working at Boom Lab full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Great place to get your career off to a fast start. Tons of large clients means a lot of opportunity, different cultures, and expanding on your hard skills to start your career. -Good support model for new grads. Won't feel like your left out to suffer at the client. Always there to help. -LOTS of training opportunities so no excuse to not advance your career. -Rewards hard work. If you put in the effort and take time to advance in your career you will get rewarded. -Allows you to make the most of your experience. You aren't required to go to company events, but the more you put in the more enjoyment you get out! -Gain a lot of confidence about your career being surrounded by dynamic and hardworking peers. -High engagement with teams and transparency about what you want will get you further. If you are willing to step into something challenging, it will reward your career.

Cons

-Patience is key for the right opportunity. Won't be on a project you love right away, but if you ask around this is an industry standard. -Starting salary was lower, but aggressive raises comparatively. -Experience seems to vary for employees based on the roles they get early on in their career, some experience faster / slower growth based on projects they get.

"I love this company so much!"

Current Employee - Project Management Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Boom Lab full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Amazing environment -Fun community activities -Lots of great benefits -Great promotions chain and opportunities to grow -Professional Training Opportunities -Certification Reimbursements -Exposure to huge Fortune 500 companies -Intense and high impact project work -Amazing Executive Leaders

Cons

-You don't always get a guarantee on an amazing project, some projects aren't a good fit and it is hard to guess that until its happening -The chain of promotions does stop eventually and it gets harder to grow after 5 or so years -Less pay then you may actually be worth

"Good Company for Starting Out"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Boom Lab full-time

Pros

Great company if just starting out in the industry. Numerous training opportunities and ability to build relationships with the delivery and consultant manager teams allows for career development and growth. Can connect with other consultants at frequent social and charity events. Ability to have good work life balance (40 hours per week) if desired, or ability to work overtime to receive yearly bonus (depending on client). Many large and well known clients/companies with which to be placed. W2 employee option enables a decent benefits plan.

Cons

Some client placements had ambiguous/unstructured roles which led to unfulfilling project experiences. PTO must be used for jury duty.

Continue reading

"Take the job out of school...and immediately look for other options."

1.0
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Boom Lab full-time for more than a year

Pros

Training opportunities for "consultants"

Cons

-Pay is not competitive... I left and made an additional $25k/ year -Boom Lab management hired me claiming it was management consulting...just to be pitched to IT Departments as a contractor. No transparency or integrity in this process -As mentioned above, this is not actually consulting...this is IT contracting. -Clients bring in Boom Lab contractors for low level tasks such as data entry and augmenting existing staff on grunt work - Does not pay out PTO upon resignation as we were promised in training - get absolutely everything in writing from them or they will take advantage of you

Marketing Manager

We appreciate your feedback. We focus on Project Delivery consulting, and strive to provide all of our consultants with meaningful, challenging work in IT and business. Details on our operating model, market position, and all company policies are published in our onboarding materials and Employee Handbook, which were provided at the beginning of your time with us. We apologize that your experience did not meet your expectations, but we're happy to have played a significant part in building what we hope is a rewarding career. Please feel free to reach out to HR with any additional questions or concerns you may have.

"Decent first job..."

I have been working at Boom Lab full-time

Pros

Consultants are well supported by the back office staff, and there are ample training opportunities.

Cons

Salary and benefits are below average for the industry. Many young consultants were brought in with the expectation that management consulting projects were available, but Boom Lab is actually just an IT staffing firm.

Continue reading

"Great Place to Begin Your Career"

I have been working at Boom Lab full-time

Pros

Boom Lab is a great place to start your career. I have had phenomenal training opportunities with quality instructors and a great benefit package. Being a consultant I am able to make connections with various companies and am able to learn from my colleagues at other Fortune 500 clients throughout the Twin Cities.

Cons

Boom Lab is a new and growing company. With this comes ambiguity and changing procedures. This atmosphere is rewarding if you have the right attitude and embrace the change. I also think the salary is a little below industry average.

Communications Manager

We’re happy to hear about your positive experience! As you mentioned, embracing ambiguity and keeping a positive attitude can made a world of difference when encountering the various challenges posed by growing organization. The line between IT and business continues to blur, but we are always looking for ways to improve our consultants’ experiences and appreciate your perspective and feedback. Thank you!

10. "Business Analyst Consultant"

I have been working at Boom Lab

Pros

Boom Lab offers a great deal of exposure to a wide variety of companies in various industries and has a very impressive list of clients which continues to grow. The back office staff is also incredibly helpful when it comes to guiding you through the process of being staffed and are always there to assist if any questions come up. HH and networking opportunities are great and training opportunities are frequent and helpful if you choose to attend. Overall a very good place to start a career especially if you are a recent graduate

Cons

Your experience at Boom Lab is going to be influenced entirely by the type of client/ project that you are staffed on. Some engagements are great and you take part in really challenging and fulfilling work whereas on other projects the work might be mundane and you might feel like a glorified secretary. The benefits and compensation package isn't that impressive/ competitive. In addition, the firm functions as more of a staffing solutions provider rather than a true consultancy.

Managing Partner

We appreciate the acknowledgement! Our team is truly invested in the careers of our consultants and works hard to create an environment where they feel supported. But we strive for continuous improvement and welcome any feedback that may enhance the Boom Lab employee experience. Particularly where it comes to project assignment, communication between all parties is of the utmost importance, and we're always trying to improve.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 10 reviews