Boom Marketing (San Diego) Reviews | Glassdoor

Boom Marketing (San Diego) Reviews

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

"Listen to the bad reviews"

I worked at Boom Marketing (San Diego) full-time

Pros

Absolutely none. You are essentially bait and switched, and they target fresh college students.

Cons

Make you drive 40 miles away, with no compensation for gas. Then you sell stuff people don't want. Almost like a door to door salesman, except you don't have to go door to door. They give you major bs about growth, but honestly, even the veterans there still make 8$ an hour. You don't know your shifts till day of, and even the location of work. By far the worst job I ever had.

Advice to Management

Be honest with the students you recruit. They are willing to work hard if treated right. Ceo only cares about the $, not the worker.

"DO NOT FALL INTO THIS SCHEME"

Current Employee - Sales Person in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Person in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Boom Marketing (San Diego) part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

learned some sales techniques but not much else.

Cons

almost everything, they undermine education and say that there program is equivalent. very low respect of employees, will make you travel long distances and don't pay or gas, say here will be "commission" if we hit a target but never do and horrible schedule have no idea when you will be working

Advice to Management

don't sell a fake scheme be rel and show the real pros and cons

3. "Perfect job for during university, flexible and allows you to choose your own schedule and pay."

Former Contractor - Brand Ambassador
    Former Contractor - Brand Ambassador

I worked at Boom Marketing (San Diego) as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible, able to choose own hours and pay, variety of locations and assignments. Company is supportive, takes care of logistical details and is willing to train new employees.

Cons

Unreliable work - goes through slow seasons

"Positively challenging"

I have been working at Boom Marketing (San Diego) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am given all the business tools and resources to succeed. The meeting atmosphere is intellectually stimulating, but also down to earth and fun. Everyone here works together to accomplish a common goal without the "dog eats dog" environment. A safe work environment is important. It's clear everyone who works here is passionate, not just for marketing, but in helping each other grow. I have learned more in the last year than I did in all my years collecting my degree. There is nothing boring about working here!

Cons

This isn't your 9-5pm job. The entrepreneur mindset that is being developed is naturally establishing a higher standard. The more I put in the more I get out. It's not easy, but it's the most rewarding place I have ever worked.

"Waste of your life and time."

Former Employee - Marketing Representative in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Representative in San Diego, CA

I worked at Boom Marketing (San Diego) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cool people, everyone is young.
    Cool team environment.
    Makes you feel like you're doing something important.

Cons

8$ an hour VS Comission. Not $8 an hour plus commission. This means $8 an hour, don't let them convince you otherwise.
    There is no set schedule. They make it up when you get there at the 7:30 AM meeting everyday. There could be a 4 hour gap between the morning meeting and when you're scheduled to work and you will not know until you get there. This eliminates any possibility that you can work a second job. The only guarantee is that you will not work on Monday or Tuesday.
    They say they're going to teach you state of the art sales and marketing techniques but really what they teach you is to lie to the customer. Oh, and that 90% of people you will talk to will not want to buy what you are selling so the biggest part of the job is not getting discouraged that you are making $8 an hour.
    They bait you with the Assistant Manager title, claiming that you can make $40,000 to $50,000 a month after 6 months, but the only people working there have been there more than that and have not reached that position. In fact, nobody there had. They're all still making $8 an hour.
    They make you memorize pointless "systems" word for word that are meaningless and contradictory.

The list goes on.

I wish I had listened to the bad reviews on here and not the good ones before I devoted my time to this place.

Advice to Management

Change the commission system, and be up front with people about how much they're going to making. Also, make a schedule in advance so that people will know what they're working beforehand like a normal business. Also, stop giving people false hope because you're ruining lives.

"Ehhhhh"

I worked at Boom Marketing (San Diego) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with.
    Learned indirect marketing

Cons

$8/Hour vs Commission
    7:30am meetings were cool but didn't tell you if you are schedule to work until the day of.
    Inconsistent. Manager can take you off the schedule for a week whenever they want even two weeks off.
    If you do not want to own your own business within the company, you are wasting space.
    Employees quit or get fired every week. New people all the time.
    Manager is leaving the business soon and has not warn most people in the company about what will happen.
    80% of the people that work here do not make it.
    Random products you promote and sell.
    They say that they aren't salespeople but they are.

Advice to Management

Be more inspiring as a manager.

"Work with opportunity for growth and recognition"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Boom Marketing (San Diego) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Plenty of hours and growth. No cap on performance incentives so I my paychecks have improved every week. Great team environment and training offered.

Cons

Plenty of hours and a learning curve.

Advice to Management

give me more, I can handle it! Advice to other posters: not everything is for everyone. Don't post negative stuff on here if you got fired for not being able to follow simple protocol. I've never seen anyone let go for any less since I've been here. Learn from it and move on. Advice to future team members: remember ANYONE can post ANYTHING online.

"WORK WORK SLAVE AWAY"

Former Employee - Team Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Team Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Boom Marketing (San Diego) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Travel. But way outside of your gas budget.

Cons

Everything under the sun. Worked for them, got promoted, left because its a scam. DO NOT WORK FOR THEM. BAIT AND SWITCH

Advice to Management

BE HONEST

"refuses to disclose information-bait and switch"

Former Contractor - Marketing "manager: in San Diego, CA
    Former Contractor - Marketing "manager: in San Diego, CA

I worked at Boom Marketing (San Diego) as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

none-don't waste your time on this scam!

Cons

Boom marketing spams craigslist with dozens of ads, then does a bait and switch with jobs. the company lures in people and wastes their time with minimum wage no skill jobs. The job consists of cold sales.

Advice to Management

Be honest because every single ad on craigslist will be flagged for removal

"Manager Training Program"

Current Employee - Team Leader in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Team Leader in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Boom Marketing (San Diego) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Developing and practicing skills on a daily basis
    -Training
    -Leadership
    -Fun environment
    -Ridiculous opportunities and growth potential.
    -You get to see what you're made of, and capable of becoming. I've personally seen people come in with little to nothing and advance through the program a better person, with a solid business background.

Cons

-Hard work with occasional work/life balance out of whack
    -If you don't go all in, your skill development and paycheck won't be what you expected.

Honestly, most of the negative reviews come from people who didn't go all in, or think that the world somehow owes them something. If you're wanting a clock-in/clock-out kind of job, this isn't for you, and you won't flourish. This is for people who want to find out what they're worth, and want to become something more. The upside of this business is ridiculous (we literally have thousands of stores and dozens of products for these stores, and we simply don't have enough capable people to fill the spots); but you'll only make it through if you push and push hard.

Advice to Management

Be more upfront in the beginning regarding how much hard work it will actually take. There's lots of focus on the potential to turn around and grow into a manager super quickly, but the time frame given is not always the norm; and many people get down on themselves about it at some point or another while in the field if they don't achieve this or that in the time they originally anticipated.