BoomTown (South Carolina) Reviews | Glassdoor

BoomTown (South Carolina) CEO Grier Allen
Grier Allen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Best Software Company in Charleston"

I have been working at BoomTown (South Carolina) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked at a couple of the Software companies in Charleston, and BoomTown continues to stand tall above the rest. I've been here long enough to see the company more than double in size, and though we've definitely had some growing pains, we've continued to maintain a culture and spirit that other companies in the area can't replicate, try as they might.

Some of the highlights I've observed in my time here:
    - Competitive pay for the region.
    - Work hard, play hard mentality. Beer on tap at all times ٩( ᐛ )و . Truly impressive company parties twice a year (maintained even with the growing staff).
    - The company encourages mobility between teams, and wants to see you succeed in whatever role you choose to tackle.
    - Grier continues to be a strong leader for the company. You get a real sense that G believes in the mission of making RE agents more successful, and wants to see that mission through and isn't interested in selling. His enthusiasm is infectious.
    - Good diversity. It's awesome to see women crushing it in so many upper-level positions, particularly within the Development department.
    - Lots of transparency. Whether the news is good or bad, leadership seems to be making a concerted effort to communicate openly with the staff.
    - Strong community outreach efforts.

Cons

- In our new location, parking has become a real problem. We share the space with several other companies, as well as the Workshop test kitchen. We've tried to mitigate this by renting out a lot just up the street, but we're still usually at full capacity by 9:30am.
    - As we've grown, it's been increasingly difficult to interview for culture-fit as thoroughly as we did in the earlier days. Though we occasionally get it wrong, we still have a lot of passionate people dedicated to hiring the right people for the culture.

Jun 27, 2018

Wow! Positive views on upward mobility, diversity in the tech space, and transparency from leadership are all the things we love to hear from our employees! Our culture continues to thrive because of... More

2. "THIS IS BOOMTOWN!"

Current Employee - Support in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Support in Charleston, SC

I have been working at BoomTown (South Carolina) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Where to begin? I guess straight to the top. Grier (CEO- get this. he actually works in the office every day, right along with us) and other valuable leaders have worked hard to make BoomTown a powerful, successful, and great company to be a part of whether you are a client, or employee. The thing that I appreciate the most about this company is the Core Values are not just decorations on the wall, but life skills that people embody everyday through their work ethic, words, and actions. While there may be temporary aggravations, and situations that arise that are not ideal (for nowhere is perfect, because no one working is perfect), the culture at BoomTown cancels those out, and creates a work environment that is fun, enriching, and motivating. This is a company that rewards you respectfully and deservedly. The leadership are quick to help, quick to encourage, and quick to show grace when a mistake happens. Instead of getting upset, they take time to celebrate the successful moments, and use other situations as opportunities to get better! Everyday people are surrounded by negative, but that is one thing that I do not encounter from my leaders or co-workers. It makes a difference to have leaders that support and do not point fingers, and co-workers that are always there to help you succeed.

Cons

I don't have cons. If I have an issue, or concern I bring it to my leaders and they are quick to address it or offer insight into why it is that way. One thing I will share, which is not a con but a preference, in relation to work life balance. I am used to 4 on and 3 off from my previous job. That is one thing that I miss and had to get used to not having, but overall in terms of PTO and weekends off BoomTown provides a great work schedule for work/life balance!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. I love how my leaders are always trying new things to make our team better, or help us become more efficient and effective with our clients.

3. "FUN Company"

I worked at BoomTown (South Carolina) full-time

Pros

Fun atmosphere and culture. Glad I'm not here anymore.

Cons

Management is irresposible and likes for the blame to run downhill.

Advice to Management

Own up to your own mistakes

Sep 10, 2018

Hello! It's great to hear that you enjoyed BoomTown's atmosphere and culture during your time here. If you're willing, we would love to talk more about the not-so-fun feedback we received from you as... More

4. "Best Job I've Ever Had At The Best Company I've Ever Been At"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Charleston, SC

I have been working at BoomTown (South Carolina) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing Culture - super fun environment, not just the gimmicks (dog culture, beer on tap, basketball court). The culture actually matters here. People work hard but have fun.

Go For It Attitude - In my 3 years here, I've never felt like there was a ceiling on what I could try to bring to the organization. They have always been encouraging of new ides, different thoughts. They aren't just tolerant of differences in opinion, they are encouraging in seeing them through and coming up with the best solution.

Pay has been competitive compared to peers in the same industry or market.

Leadership - my leaders have become some of my greatest mentors and friends. My skills and character have been developed tremendously here by my superiors.

Cons

Growing pains of a company going from a small-medium size to a medium-large size have been challenging here.

With the growing of the organization, decisions and changes are starting to take a while to enact/put in place. Natural given we are scaling, but make things challenging in a industry that moves so quickly.

Advice to Management

Leadership development needs to improve.

Better vetting of prospective hires/managers/leaders.

Sep 4, 2018

Thanks for all of your positive feedback! It's great to be a part of a company with innovative employees that go for it everyday, like you. We would love to hear more about your thoughts on... More

5. "Best place to work in Charleston, by far!"

Current Employee - Senior Support Specialist in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Senior Support Specialist in Charleston, SC

I have been working at BoomTown (South Carolina) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture, culture, culture! At BoomTown, we work hard to play hard!
    Everyone at BoomTown, including top-level managers and leadership, is approachable.
    No micromanagers
    Dog-friendly

Cons

Hmmm..... I can't find anything bad to say about working at BoomTown.

6. "OK place to get started"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I worked at BoomTown (South Carolina) (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work environment, people, benefits and perks

Cons

Work is boring and monotonous - lack of product team vision. BoomTown used to the big dog in Real Estate CRMs but they have been quickly surpassed. Not much room for growth as an employee either - lots of lateral moving.

Aug 29, 2018

It's great to hear that you enjoyed our work environment, your co-workers, and the benefits and perks during your time at BoomTown! We're passionate about transparency and growth throughout the... More

7. "Used to be Better - Ok Benefits"

I have been working at BoomTown (South Carolina) full-time

Pros

nice office downtown, lets you bring your dog

Cons

negotiating leave with your managers when we have "unlimited" leave, guilt if you're not in your seat 24/7, parking, upward movement

Advice to Management

stop selling the culture if you don't believe in it anymore

Jul 19, 2018

Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We are always looking to improve employees quality of work/life balance. We would love some more insight into your current experience and... More

8. "Nothing could be finer"

I have been working at BoomTown (South Carolina) full-time

Pros

BoomTown constantly goes above and beyond for it's employees. The Core Values are present in every day situations whether at a State of BoomTown where Grier Allen is giving a company wide update (Communicate Openly and Honestly) or at the upcoming Anniversary Party (Spread Some laughter and Have Fun).

Cons

None! This is an amazing company to work for!

9. "Great company!"

I have been working at BoomTown (South Carolina) full-time

Pros

Great atmosphere. Great people. Culture is top notch.

Cons

Salary isn't as high as other software companies.

10. "Great Company"

I have been working at BoomTown (South Carolina) full-time

Pros

Good work environment, team is great , great atmosphere

Cons

none- nothing bad to say