Boomtown Reviews

Updated May 17, 2022

Found 42 of over 43 reviews

4.1
Boomtown CEO Alfred "Chip" Kahn IV (no image)
Alfred "Chip" Kahn IV

57 Comments

Tech

205.9K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Boomtown~918494
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
    There are no cons to display at this time.
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0

...Booming

Mar 24, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Lots of areas to learn and grow - A remote job - Unlimited PTO (I know, I know)

Cons

- The meeting quantity can be high - Insurance options seem ok but not great.

2. 1.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Very condescending

May 17, 2022 - Information Technology Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

None they don't pay enough, they expect you to know everything for a start up position where you make more at McDonalds. Give me a break. My friend didn't get a job for 15 an hour and she has an associates in IT, like she is more than capable. Will be leaving looking for something more appreciative of my time.

Cons

None people are condescending and could care less

3. 5.0

Great place to work

Feb 9, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

PTO, understanding management Great coworker Great work environment

Cons

I really can’t think of any right now

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

fun and relaxed

Oct 29, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

fun and relaxed environment to work in, allows remote workers and takes entry level.

Cons

none. this place is a dream job for me but the company is still growing so not many opportunities to explore yet.

5. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Flat Tire

May 5, 2021 - Operations in Scottsdale, AZ
    Business Outlook

Pros

It's continually referred to as a tech company so you'll get to say you worked at a "tech start up company that raised money." If you keep a low profile with your head down you won't be bothered which is nice. You'll have large gaps of time where you really won't have anything to do so you can fill that time with things you need to get done. There's unlimited PTO but if you use any, you're made to feel like you shouldn't so there's a tradeoff.

Cons

"Management," although employed, is not really present and really only starts doing something when someone in San Francisco decides they are going to start focusing on some particular stat. However, no one's ever seen anyone from the San Francisco - sorry "the Tiburon office" so it's hard to say what they actually do for the business. It's hard to find career equity working here and if you want to learn something you'll have to ask the person next to you because a supervisor/manager will just tell you to go "ask so-and-so" or even better "check the wiki." Unfortunately, you'll probably be the one to discover the wiki has an error so your hands feel like they are tied and what you think will take you 3 minutes, will take much longer. I joined this company with great excitement but there's really not much to be excited about and knew it was time to move on when I determined Boomtown was a flashy word for a flat tire.

2 people found this review helpful

Boomtown Response

People Operations

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback. We appreciate your feedback regarding work-life balance. We adopted an unlimited paid time off (PTO) policy in July 2018 to eliminate the worry about specific PTO balances and to enable personal accountability. As with any rollout of a new policy and procedure, we had a few bumps in the road. Our unlimited PTO policy does not mean that anyone can take any amount of PTO at any time for any reason. PTO should always be requested ahead of time, and each employee’s manager’s job is to make PTO decisions based on workload/resource availability and approve or deny such requests accordingly. While we attempt to honor all requests, certain requests may be denied based on the current workload and other approved/requests PTO requests. Also, we also appreciate you sharing your negative feedback / areas for improvement from your time with Boomtown. We always have and always will continue to hold the highest level of respect for our employees who are the foundation of Boomtown, whether they be based out of our Tiburon (California) or Tempe (Arizona) or working remotely, as has been the case since March 2020. Due to federal, state, and local restrictions on travel due to the COVID-19 pandemic, inter-office travel has been substantially reduced over the last year. Employees in both offices in Tiburon and Tempe play a pivotal role in the collective success of the Company. We encourage all employees with any grievances or complaints to contact their supervisor or our HR department. All grievances and complaints are treated with the highest level of care and confidentiality. We are sorry to hear your experience did not meet your expectations. We are constantly working to improve the training experience for our employees, both for new hires and on an ongoing basis. Given the nature of the work and growth of the company, we are constantly onboarding new customers with new technologies, which requires us to update processes and technology. We will continue to improve our training process to ensure all employees have the necessary knowledge to perform their job responsibilities and encourage all employees to contact their supervisor or HR Department if they feel that they need additional training. Thank you again for sharing both your positive and negative feedback.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great company with great people

Jun 10, 2021 - Senior Vice President, Finance in Tiburon, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The team is what makes it and is easily the best group of people I've had the pleasure of working with. They are honest and hardworking and truly enjoy solving problems together. Not every solution to a problem (or set of problems) turn out to be the right one, but the team always pushes forward together.

Cons

We're a startup with a small team and there's never a shortage of problems to solve. We're constantly having to adjust on the fly, which is challenging and often uncomfortable, as change always is. One of the hardest things is managing the highs and the lows together while continuing to push to improve every day.

Boomtown Response

People Operations

Thank you for your feedback!

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great Job and Creative Team!

Jun 14, 2021 - Sales Director in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great environment and creative team to work with. I've learned a ton from the top and it's been a good company to build your network and confidence. They also put a ton of trust into their employees and provide the freedom to work from home (as long as you do your job). The culture is healthy and everyone seems to have each others back. I highly recommend the company.

Cons

Small company so you need to get up and running quickly.

8. 4.0
    Current Employee

Good People with a bright future

Sep 27, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good people sharing knowledge Room for advancement

Cons

Supply your own equipment busy environment and understaffed

1 person found this review helpful
  9. 4.0

interesting product

Jul 31, 2021 - Data Scientist in Tiburon, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

friendly team, interesting area to be in, well funded, good work life balance, really supportive upper management

Cons

have an in-house infrastructure in the age of cloud services. cost cutting is not always the best solution to everything.

10. 3.0
    Current Employee

Good

Aug 29, 2021 - Boom Operator
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good times temporary lay off good times

Cons

Scratching and surviving good times

2 people found this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 42 Reviews

Boomtown Reviews FAQs

Boomtown has an overall rating of 4.1 out of 5, based on over 43 reviews left anonymously by employees. 80% of employees would recommend working at Boomtown to a friend and 76% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 3% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Boomtown employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.0 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Boomtown. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

80% of Boomtown employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Boomtown 3.9 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.0 for culture and values and 3.7 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Boomtown to be management, career development, benefits and the cons to be work life balance, senior leadership, compensation.

Popular Careers with Boomtown Job Seekers