Boots Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 22, 2017

1.0
Elizabeth Fagan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The work collegues and great and good pay (in 128 reviews)

• Temp employees still got to use the staff discount card (in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours but to be expected in retail, especially if temporary (in 61 reviews)

• Work life balance needs a little adjustment (in 23 reviews)

1. "Brand Ambassador"

I worked at Boots full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great products and great value

Cons

Stock controlled by Target, Goals set by Boots. Do Not support each other. Impossible situation. Many inconsistancies, Much upheaval with no warning to the employees, loss of hours and benefits with no recourse.or care, After 3 yrs, I could no longer accept the lack of honesty, work ethics, or even ethics as a company. Once the new CEO started to chase the money , they forgot about those who put it there. See them loosing their footing in Target and going to be just another dirty group of makeup on the shelf at Ulta.

Advice to Management

what has made you unique and special is disappearing. Take better care of the BA's and they will take better care of you.

"Corporate office"

Former Employee - District Manager in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - District Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at Boots full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Large mass retailer for Cosmetics

Cons

Awful senior management organizational structure constantly changing no communication or positive direction

Advice to Management

Better communication with field positive direction and guidance

Feb 28, 2017 – Recruitment Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. We will share this with senior management.

"Very misleading"

Pros

The only driving force I had was to be there for my customers who were with me from day 1.

Cons

After being there from the beginning of the launch in NYC, they decided to lay off all of the beauty advisors. They have completely lied to everyone making us believe there was potential "growth" within the company which was complete crap. The only growth they had was obviously those in the corporate company hierarchy and got rid of the little people or what they like to cover up as "the driving force of the company". It's all BS, it's the typical speech they want to give everyone in order for the advisors to work harder in order to get their brand to become a household name. They used us and made us exactly how we feel now, worthless. We are now left either jobless or offered a different position with their partner company for more work and less pay (pretty much modern day slavery). They sold people a dream and gave all of us a pink slip and a middle finger at the end.

Advice to Management

You don't need advice, you already know what was done but of course you don't care because you still get your 6 figure pay checks while many of us will be struggling by or on the unemployment line.

Sep 13, 2016 – Recruitment Coordinator

We are sorry to see you aren't having a great experience in one of our stores. We take feedback very seriously and will share this with senior management.

"Very disappointing, misleading, and no room for growth or acknowledgement from corporate."

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in New York, NY

I have been working at Boots full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I really love working with my customers. They are the reason why I love my job.

Cons

After 3 1/2 years of corporate saying we were the driving force of the company , they are laying off all Ba's with no explanation or concern for the hard work we did for them. Promised room for advancement and was completely lied to. They used us to get the brand name exposure and once we succeeded they decided to lay us off. And they do not value their employees at all.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to the employees. Start to acknowledge the hard work they do. Create positions for employees to move up. Corporate needs to start treating the field employees better.

Jun 8, 2016 – Recruitment Coordinator

We appreciate you sharing your views and we take these kinds of comments seriously. We will escalate this further.

"Poor Sales Experience"

I worked at Boots full-time

Pros

Good starting pay for little sales experience job and all training. Compensation for gas mileage.

Cons

Very short, brief, and unsatisfactory training program. I was a beginner to sales as well as many of the other trainees, and after training many of us were not well prepared for the environment. We were placed in a field competing against other well-experience sales associates which was very uncomfortable and intimidating. This job experience made me hate sales and never want to work in a sales role ever again in my life. Although there was compensation for gas mileage, driving was a hassle, especially when management had the opportunity to place us in store locations close to the areas we lived by.

Advice to Management

Better training program and more assistance to help employees who are beginners to sales.

Jul 27, 2015

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We offer a variety of training courses, leadership programs and mentoring programs to colleagues at all levels of the company. We appreciate your... More

"Standing in a Target cosmetic isle sucks."

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Wellington, FL
    Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Wellington, FL

Pros

Target discount was the only good thing about the job.

Cons

No benefits and had to carry supplies from my car

Advice to Management

Give it up, good luck the turnover for this position is multiple.

Apr 14, 2015

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback.

7. "Boots is going downhill"

I have been working at Boots full-time

Pros

You get a discount

Cons

Boots doesn’t care about its employees’ well-being, it would much rather make a profit.
    Far too much work to do and very little support from leaders, causing daily stress.
    Poor pay rates.

"Not progressive"

Former Employee - Pharmacy Manager in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Manager in Birmingham, England (UK)

I worked at Boots full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Can’t really think of anything much good about my years at Boots, like any other job it payed the mortgage, that’s about it!

Cons

Before I joined Boots I was told by a recruitment agent that Boots was not a progressive company and I didn’t understand what he meant. Over the years benefits, holiday and pay were stripped back and the job became more and more onerous together with a store manager who was uncompromising and not a people person. Too much time was spent by assistant managers hiding in the office pretending to be busy. Too many managers were promoted way above their ability solely because of their brown-nosing the bosses. There was regular bullying and witch hunts and good people were pushed out of jobs instead of being supported in their roles. Then there is the incessant complication of SOPs and branch burocrasy.

Advice to Management

Get modern and value your workforce

Nov 20, 2017 – Digital Attraction Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback, it's very important we understand our colleagues experiences. You can be assured that this feedback will be passed onto management and the other... More

9. "Appalling"

I have been working at Boots full-time

Pros

Hard working collegues willing to do their best

Cons

Lots.. Average age of Manager 25 - 35 with no people skills. Witness manager talking to staff with utter disgrace. Target driven only if you cared about customer's have more than 2 people on a shop floor and dispensing practices dangerous when integrated with serving customers on healthcare wanting to know if you have a brand of lipstick etc, breaking off in the middle of a RX .. Because there is no one else to divert them to. So you have to try and resovle a shop floor issue. Opening backshop door for drivers, deliveries, whilst dispensing. I could go on but what is the point. In 31yrs nothing we have gone backwards for customer care, oh and i work in a MDS but have to cover so i have to just switch jobs when it suits... can't wait to get out if i had the courage to after 31 yrs.. 😕

Advice to Management

Management IS the problem and greed at the risk of patient care

Nov 20, 2017 – Digital Attraction Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback, we really appreciate it, please be assured this will be passed onto management and the relevant teams.

10. "poor"

Former Employee - Customer Assistant in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Assistant in Nottingham, England (UK)

I worked at Boots part-time

Pros

quick
    easy
    understandable
    friendly

Cons

lack of communication
    rude
    Arrogant
    short
    easy

Advice to Management

improve

Nov 14, 2017 – Digital Attraction Coordinator

Thanks for your feedback we really appreciate it! This will be passed onto management so that improvements can be made.

Showing 157 of 1,287 reviews