Booz Allen Hamilton Reviews in Annapolis Junction, MD | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Booz Allen Hamilton President and CEO Horacio D. Rozanski
Horacio D. Rozanski

Pros
Cons
  • Sometimes the work/life balance is not there (in 175 reviews)

• If you are not bringing in "billable hours" you will receive an LOW Lack of Work and have 30 days to find a new contract or be let go (in 78 reviews)

1. "Cyber Security Systems Engineer"

Current Employee - Cyber Security Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Cyber Security Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excited to be working in the Cyber Battle-space. Lots of opportunities to contribute in defense of our nation.

Cons

None that I can see at this time. I see vast opportunities for learning and growing more in this industry.

Advice to Management

I'm a team player who seeks opportunities for personal growth and the success of all my superiors, peers, and subordinates

"Decent benefits, unique corporate culture, good fit for certain personalities"

Former Employee - Intelligence Analyst in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Former Employee - Intelligence Analyst in Annapolis Junction, MD

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Management is incredibly loyal to the firm, and as long as employees stay "loyal" (ie. attend multiple non-billable happy hours, seminars, mixers, etc) the firm largely remains loyal to the employee.
    - During a contract protest the firm went out of their way to provide billable work to employees to negate the loss of income.
    - I truly admire Booz Allen's ability to foster such a fierce and intense loyalty amongst their managers and employees. I'm not sure what they're putting in the Kool Aid, but it must be good stuff.
    - Booz Allen truly is the shadow wing of the nation's Intelligence Community. They provide fantastic opportunities with nearly every and any agency possible if you have the qualifications/network to make it happen.

Cons

- Booz Allen is notorious for their cult like culture and worship of the firm.
    - The business team I worked for in Central Maryland viewed any employee initiated movement requests as a problem. There was no assistance in moving to other teams, businesses, etc and applications elsewhere were viewed similar to defections.
    - Low pay compared to other companies in the intelligence contracting world. Booz Allen managers routinely acknowledged Booz's lower pay scales, but would counter argue that the firm's benefits were superior to their competitors. This is simply not true. However, considering many, if not most, employees are recently separated military service members/government employees with little outside contracting experience, these claims are largely accepted and defended throughout the firm. I received a $20k dollar pay increase upon switching to another company, and this increase wasn't for a different position either. It was for the exact same position that I had when I left Booz Allen. I still sat at my same desk, working alongside all of my same colleagues. All of my benefits are comparable if not slightly better.
    - Booz Allen's old ECAP program was a really sweet gig, but that went away when Booz became a publicly traded company.

Advice to Management

- Screen your employees better...you've employed two of the largest intelligence leakers in history...you need to step your game up significantly.

"Systems Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Diverse Client Profile, Promotion of a quality Work/Life Balance, Interesting Work Available, Great non-work events are organized, some Family Focused and some Networking and Recruitment, and Solid Investment in Employee Progression

Cons

Engagement with Senior Leadership is sometimes sparse. It is possible to hide in a large company, and the "Career Guide" model is taking measures to improve.

Advice to Management

Come to as many events as you can, promote as many events as you can, it only strengthens the unity of your career teams and the unity of the company.

5. "A decent place to work"

Former Employee - Lead Engineer/Technologist in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Former Employee - Lead Engineer/Technologist in Annapolis Junction, MD

Pros

Good pay
    Good benefits
    Professional atmosphere
    Stable employment

Cons

Strict dress code
    Has lost its "startup" atmosphere since going public

Advice to Management

Focusing on the customers and promoting morale were the priorities that made the company attractive to talent. Bring back that atmosphere from before share holders drove more bottom-dollar practices.

"Not trustworthy"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Annapolis Junction, MD

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers, a privileged few live a dot-com existence with kegerators and video games.

Cons

I agreed to a six-month temp to perm contract to convert to an agreed-upon six-figure salary. Executed the contract with great success and co-workers pushed for early hire. End on contract comes up, BAH offers $20K less; no negotiation. Only way they will extend the contract for two months is to have me work from Dallas 4 days a week, (I live in Baltimore.)

Advice to Management

Your staff is overworked and disgruntled at management; if and when they leave, your entire project base is screwed and at risk. Management hasn't changed its operating tact and lack of honesty in over ten years.

"Body Shop"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer Associate in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer Associate in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, lots of opportunities to network. Great morale building activities like tbe hacker space, company trip to Kings Dominion and raffle for free concer tickets. They have lots of contracts and their resource management process had greatly improved to get you on billable work fairly quickly.

Cons

No matter how much they try to sugar coat it. The company is still a body shop. Number of billable people on a contract matters more than anything else to leader. Quality of personnel & proper fit to client are not really a priority. Especially on contracts that require clearances. A cleared c-player will get paid well and get the job, rather than the A-player without the clearance. This is very true in their Cyber Security Accounts. Training time is in addition to your required billable time, and business development (with ambiguous businesses objectives, and no ability to influence human capital policies) are also in addition to required billable time. Basically...they will take advantage of your time if you let them.

Advice to Management

Be clear about your account's Business Objectives. Maybe we would be willing to help grow business if we knew your true objectives. Also, be more transparent to employees on how their rates are calculated and how they are paid. By the way...the new feedback system in career central is not used as intended. People still wait till the last minute to do them like they did with the old Assessment system. The new Career Central system has not changed anything in improving our assessment and promotion process.

"A year in reflection."

Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Enjoy the aspect of changing jobs within a company. Numerous opportunities, if your willing to travel, learn new skills, and don't mind the extra risk of uncertainty.

Cons

A lot of uncertainty with any position there. Not a stable place of employment. New things come and go, the company seems to chase every new idea without properly vetting it.

Advice to Management

Be a manager to personnel, by understanding their talents, ambitions, and strengths/weaknesses. Actually meet with your staff one on one (as mine does not). Help staff look ahead for new opportunities within the accounts, to avoid the "bench".

9. "Staff Engineer"

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, 401K is 6%. Decent atmosphere. Lots of events to go have a beer or eat some food, gives you a good feel of morale.

Cons

Hard to change careers or positions within the company. Pay bumps can be hard to get, they sometimes rack and stack people on time in the company vs. how you perform.

Advice to Management

More bonuses, if people work overtime give them the option of PTO vs. bonus taxed pay

10. "Senior Assoicate"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good career development, flexible arrangements, robust resource management, salary and benefits very competitive

Cons

Not an employee per se, employment based on billability against contract

11. "Great Company...2 Years Ago"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD

Pros

Great people, lots of work

Cons

1) Company is way too big and the MD and VA cultures are completely different
    2) Booming MD business still at the mercy of a VA headquarters

Advice to Management

Clean out the dead weight in MD that rode the wave of 10-20% growth each year in the 2000s.

Showing 56 of 3,785 reviews