Booz Allen Hamilton Reviews in Arlington, VA | Glassdoor

Booz Allen Hamilton Arlington Reviews

Updated December 21, 2017

Arlington, VA

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Amazing work-life balance with the most flexible schedule in the industry (in 533 reviews)

• Most projects make it easy to work from home a day a week, if not 100% of the time (in 86 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes the work/life balance is not there (in 181 reviews)

• If not, employees get lack of work notice (in 84 reviews)

1. "Decent Place to work"

Current Employee - Instructional Designer in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Instructional Designer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will learn a lot here. It is my first job out of graduate school and the professionals in my field here are some of the best. I have continued to learn and grow while I've been here.

Cons

You will make more money working for another firm. Especially in the Northern Virginia area. I have had the opportunity to be mentored by a few people here at the firm and they all have said that you'll make more somewhere else but you'll learn more at Booz Allen.

Advice to Management

Being more available and visible would be helpful. As an entry level employee i really have no idea who my leaders are above my senior associate.

2. "Senior Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers and occasional interesting work

Cons

New leadership and lack of women in leadership positions

Advice to Management

Keep great employees by reallocating their skills within the firm, rather than deliver lack of work notices and leaving it entirely up to them to find a new position.

"Continued ups and downs over six+ years"

Current Employee - Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you can find the right team with the right people, then you'll have a great experience. I would only watch that you don't get too comfortable in those seats. They way federal contracts are positioned, it's easy for senior management to get complacent and then lose the contract.

Cons

Senior managers will tell you, at any level, thank you need to sell work and that they have a rewards process in place to compensate you. This is no process that's been defined to compensate you other than you annual review/raise. Ask a senior manage and they won't be able ot provide any details on this place but they'll encourage you to sell for them.

There is no office culture or harmony among staff. Management is just looking to put a butt in a seat in order to bill the govt. If you tell your manager that you're not interested in a position that they offer you, then prepare to be ignored. Even if you've stated your goals and are on a billiable project; you will be ignored.

I feel that I've attempted to gain traction across several different projects within my six+ years and there is either turn over from management (so you start over with a new person), or the contract is lost because the leadership screwed up the negotiations.

The real heros at this company are the Associates and below. They actually DO all the work and get none of the benefits.

Oh and pretty much any fringe benefits are gone or now costs a lot more. They're trying to "remain competitive" which translates to "it's your problem now."

Advice to Management

Please stop using your employees as disposable commodities. We're on the same team and when you demoralize and stop communicating with us, then we're given no reason to support you.

"Once Great, Now Decent"

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time

Pros

- High job security for a contractor. During the 2013 govt shut down, BAH was the only contractor in the area which did not put their employees immediately on unpaid furlough. If your contract ends or funding falls through, they will work with you to find something.
    - Flexible leave/PTO schedule. Allow you to take up to 40hrs additional time off beyond your official allotment, given you make it up.
    - Educational benefits (including: $5,000/year education fund, and many free training courses)
    - Lots of resources for parents
    - Every employee is provided a dedicated career manager to help you meet your career goals/aspirations
    - Being such a large company means you have a a broad array of different contract types, and clients to potentially work with
    - The hierarchy is very flat. It is not an issue to directly contact someone many levels above you with a question. Everyone prefers first names, even at the CEO level. If you reach out for advice or support, even on cold calls, regardless of level, you can expect a friendly and helpful response. People genuinely want to support you at BAH if you're willing to ask.

Cons

- Salaries are no longer as competitive as they once were. Expect 1-2% raises per year, and up to 6% for a promotion.
    - Latest health care options carry high deductibles, and are co-insurance rather than co-pay
    - Focus on maintaining "billability," rather than meeting personal interests of employees
    - Client site employees can feel disconnected

Advice to Management

Since becoming publicly traded, BAH lost many of the niceties which made BAH a cut above the rest, in terms of companies to work for. While some of these cuts were understandable, and to be expected, the degree to which this has occurred has had a significant impact on morale, and has lead many who previously saw themselves as a lifetime Booz Allen employee to look elsewhere for employment.

5. "Senior Consultant"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Arlington, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton (More than a year)

Pros

Well run company, opportunity to grow and develop, good benefits package

Cons

Pay is a bit lower than average, expect a lot of non project related administrative work if you'd like to advance

"Associate"

Current Employee - Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Booz Allen is a consulting firm with excellent name recognition. Also, Booz Allen is a respected firm that is valued by federal agencies

Cons

The health insurance benefits are terrible. I am not talking just bad, I am talking dreadful. Booz Allen's leadership is seemingly most concerned with shareholder profits; employees are taking a very bad hit from the new insurance policy

Advice to Management

Booz Allen's leadership should think less about shareholder profits and more about the employees they are losing through their draconian insurance benefits plan.

7. "Great pay, mobility, culture, and employees, but limited project options"

Former Employee - Associate in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Associate in Arlington, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Work-life balance - unless I was on a proposal (which happened about 3-4 times per year), I worked a maximum of 45 hours per week, and rarely traveled.
    - Pay was great and they highly rewarded advancing your education and skills.
    - People were for the most part fantastic: driven, smart, although there were some projects that had some dead-weight.
    - Path for upward mobility is very transparent, and you can advance in the company if you play your cards right.

Cons

- It's difficult to change projects within the company unless you network your way there. You are very much treated as an asset and it's difficult to be able to work on something you're interested in versus something you want to work on. Clients are almost exclusively government agencies and require security clearances, and the levels of bureaucracy and innovation will vary from project to project.

8. "Great company,!! Needs minimal work to make it the best in the business."

Former Contractor - Technology Consulting Senior Consultant in Arlington, VA
    Former Contractor - Technology Consulting Senior Consultant in Arlington, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

BAH offers great benefits, the opportunity to attend business related training, and their salaries are highly competitive with respect to their employees in the consulting business.

Cons

The cons of working for BAH are minimal. The primary area of concern is lack of dissemination of information (ie.communication) from upper management and lack of follow through with respect to holding others accountable for project completions.

Advice to Management

Support and promote your employees who display loyalty to the company and value workplace ethics who also display a 'nose to the grindstone mentality' instead of promoting those who are simply good at talking about what they can or might do, but seldom put actions behind their words.

9. "Great company, long history"

Current Employee - Lead Associate in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Lead Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time

Pros

May not be the marquee name it was a few years ago, but very solid company, especially for veterans entering the workforce

Cons

Upcoming change in top leadership may cause unexpected changes in culture/benefits.

10. "Good company to work for, great work life balance."

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Booz is a great place to work. Lots of flexibility as far as opportunities and work life balance. Great first job. They are always looking at ways to improve upon the way that they operate as an organization and put their employees first. They really understand that without its consultants they would not be able to achieve the amount of success it has and it shows. Tons of training opportunities although that time doesn't count towards your billable hours so you have to be careful not dig yourself into a hole you can't get out of.

Cons

It is easy to get "lost" but this really depends on your management team and your ability to network. The company is large and sometimes inexperience can hurt you. In some situations you may be without a project and though there are some available, you are not qualified enough for the position. It's not always easy to cross markets once you start out.

Advice to Management

Make sure those in charge of the daily operations of employees, Lead Associates and above, actually care about the wellness and livelihood of those that report to them.

Showing 90 of 4,181 reviews